Disney Preparing Live-Action Peter Pan with Pete’s Dragon Director

Californian Elitist

This basically reflects my view. Some good stuff but the lack of whimsy made it kind of difficult to watch.

Off hand, I feel like this should have been a Hulu release (or Star in other countries) to set the proper expectations. Releasing it on D+ as a “Disney” film (castle and all to start) puts on some burden to be “true” to the animated film and/or more accessible to children than this was IMHO.
I disagree that having the Disney logo somehow creates this notion that the live-action remakes have to be almost exactly like their animated counterparts. I think the film is perfectly suitable for children as well.

erasure fan1

I disagree that having the Disney logo somehow creates this notion that the live-action remakes have to be almost exactly like their animated counterparts.
And that's the catch 22 of it all. You can really argue it both ways in my opinion. If you remake it and keep it 100% the same. What's the point? You've already made that movie. If you change it too much. Why not just create something new? Make it within universe but with a new story and different characters at least. Any of these remakes, like it or not, will be compared to the original. So you will always have a split between fans.

Californian Elitist

And that's the catch 22 of it all. You can really argue it both ways in my opinion. If you remake it and keep it 100% the same. What's the point? You've already made that movie. If you change it too much. Why not just create something new? Make it within universe but with a new story and different characters at least. Any of these remakes, like it or not, will be compared to the original. So you will always have a split between fans.
Because creating something new means risking not making money.

I think it’s perfectly acceptable for the same company to re-imagine their products. They do it all the time. What we think is “new” really isn’t anyway, a lot of the time.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Apparently Disney got Rotten Tomatoes to pull reviews down for a few days, citing "review bombing" but they're back up and they haven't improved at all.

doctornick

This is just another example to me of Disney being bizarre with their IP. if you are going to do a remake or a sequel then the value is to build on the goodwill and nostalgia what the original. But Disney has been making these IP stuff in a way that often turns off the potential base audience and in ways that is not even surprising to occur. Peter Pan & Wendy isn’t the worst offender but still if you are going to use an IP, make sure whatever you do will be loved by those who love the original. That’s how you get hype and positive reviews.

Disney isn’t alone in this - witness Velma for example - but they have been doing it a lot partially because they have so much IP and are seeking to leverage it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom