Disney Postpones Releases of 'Mulan,' 'The New Mutants' and 'Antlers'

Darkprime

Original Poster
Wow. I didn't think they would actually delay Mulan I thought they were too far in. Black Widow still seemingly on track for May. I think there waiting for a couple more weeks though to see if the situation changes.

BrianLo

Not surprising. It's too bad Disney+ isn't totally spun up content wise. Moving content up the slate until now would be a good means of counter programming the shut out theatrically.

Mouse Trap

San Francisco announcing a mid-August reopening of movie theaters is the first real threat to Mulan's release getting postponed again. If NYC or LA follow a similar timeline things get very rocky.

Then again things can always change and SF can reopen movie theaters earlier if capacity restrictions are negotiated a little more aggressively.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
San Francisco announcing a mid-August reopening of movie theaters is the first real threat to Mulan's release getting postponed again. If NYC or LA follow a similar timeline things get very rocky.

Then again things can always change and SF can reopen movie theaters earlier if capacity restrictions are negotiated a little more aggressively.
That is only San Francisco county, not the entire San Francisco Bay Area. The rest of the Bay Area counties haven't yet decided.

We'll have to see what the rest of the Bay Area does over the next couple of weeks. Take with a grain of salt but in speaking with Cinemark Corporate people that I know they are planning a July 1st reopening across most of California and the rest of the nation.

Mouse Trap

Disney does not want to gamble their $200M movie as the first event film to hit theaters. Tenet is much better positioned to be first.

I hope it gets pushed back so it gets the marketing and money it deserves.

InnKpr

Have there been any test screenings, or leaks as to where Mulan stands among other remakes as far as quality?

InnKpr

No leaks needed. The film has had its world premiere and no real embargo.

Tons of opinions from critics on Twitter and elsewhere to be found.

Thanks. Was a little concerned about the witch & vertical-running Huns pushing it too much into the realm of fantasy, but so far sounds promising.

(Though not sure why those factors should worry me, considering the original had a talking dragon and ghost ancestors.)

BrianLo

Tenet is now delayed officially.

I imagine Mulan is/has been delayed behind closed doors, but Disney is needing to figure out a serious scheduling and planning reshuffle to accommodate it. I expect Mulan will be pushed back to like October. If they can carve a space for it.

Darkprime

Original Poster

I imagine Mulan is/has been delayed behind closed doors, but Disney is needing to figure out a serious scheduling and planning reshuffle to accommodate it. I expect Mulan will be pushed back to like October. If they can carve a space for it.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some serious debate internally about putting it on Disney plus.

Tony Perkis

Bill & Ted 3 will be next.

Mouse Trap

Or punt it to next summer so it can get the opening it deserves.

Prince-1

Bill & Ted 3 will be next.

There will be no major movies released this summer. As for the fall...we will see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom