Disney pools to be locked/ inaccessible in the overnight hours

jaklgreen

Life is what it is. I make no apologies for people specifically parents that cannot, or will not take interest and control of their kids. Watching your kids every second of the day is what a parent does and is supposed to do. You stating that it cannot be done, is what is wrong with society today. The constant erosion of personal responsibility is why there are so many lawyers and lawsuits out there today. People refuse to take responsibility for their actions.

You may not like what Darwinism states, but it is fact. I suppose you deny that nature is red in tooth and claw as well? The kid died, a 13 year old that should have known better, who should have had the common sense not to dive into a pool that could be less than 3 feet deep. It does not ever take a rocket scientist to know what can happen. Yet it happened, does anyone ask why? Nope, instead a lawsuit happens. The rest of the public that has common sense not only gets punished by not being allowed to use the pools, but has to pay higher costs through hotel fees, and admission prices and concession prices.

Ever think of why retail prices are so high? Pilferage by employees and customers. The costs associated with products are higher due to anti theft devices, loss prevention, security, cameras, etc. It the actions of the few, the ones who cannot be bothered by personal responsibility that make ALL of us pay the price.

It is for this reason, Darwinism makes total sense, despite personal ideas, that in life the strong survive. If anyone doubts this, watch the discovery channel sometime, especially the stuff about Africa. Life is brutal in nature. Life can be brutal in society, but the fundamental laws of nature are in motion 24/7/365 and will be so when we are all gone.

As to closing times due to noise factors, I can agree with that. Having rowdy people by or in the pools after 11pm can be disturbing to other guests. Besides which, that is when chemicals are put through the pool such as high amounts of chlorine.
I am sorry but I don't think you have sufficient experience with children if these are your comments. 13 yo are dumb, all kids are, that is why we don't give birth to them and send them off to college. They are just not all mentally capable of thinking that way, some are more mature then others but it is not their fault their brain is not developed yet. And do you know what the top 2 age groups are for retail theft? Teenagers and seniors, people "old enough" to know better. I personally would not let my 13 yo swim by themselves. That is part of raising them to be independent. But there are some activities where someone that age can do for themselves without a parent standing over them. We all take a risk when we do things that can be potentially harmful. Even adults that have been swimming their whole life drown. Do I think they should gate off all of the pools? No I think it was 1 unfortunate accident.

Allym146

Anyway, I'm done. I think its understandable if they make changes to keep the swimming areas safer. Others don't. It's impossible for everyone to always agree on everything obviously. Agree to disagree!

"Do not pity the dead Harry, pity the living, especially those that live without love"....empathy, compassion, humanity, sensitivity, fellow feeling

Kind of ironic.

MissingDisney

Life is what it is. I make no apologies for people specifically parents that cannot, or will not take interest and control of their kids. Watching your kids every second of the day is what a parent does and is supposed to do. You stating that it cannot be done, is what is wrong with society today. The constant erosion of personal responsibility is why there are so many lawyers and lawsuits out there today. People refuse to take responsibility for their actions.

You may not like what Darwinism states, but it is fact. I suppose you deny that nature is red in tooth and claw as well? The kid died, a 13 year old that should have known better, who should have had the common sense not to dive into a pool that could be less than 3 feet deep. It does not ever take a rocket scientist to know what can happen. Yet it happened, does anyone ask why? Nope, instead a lawsuit happens. The rest of the public that has common sense not only gets punished by not being allowed to use the pools, but has to pay higher costs through hotel fees, and admission prices and concession prices.

Ever think of why retail prices are so high? Pilferage by employees and customers. The costs associated with products are higher due to anti theft devices, loss prevention, security, cameras, etc. It the actions of the few, the ones who cannot be bothered by personal responsibility that make ALL of us pay the price.

It is for this reason, Darwinism makes total sense, despite personal ideas, that in life the strong survive. If anyone doubts this, watch the discovery channel sometime, especially the stuff about Africa. Life is brutal in nature. Life can be brutal in society, but the fundamental laws of nature are in motion 24/7/365 and will be so when we are all gone.

As to closing times due to noise factors, I can agree with that. Having rowdy people by or in the pools after 11pm can be disturbing to other guests. Besides which, that is when chemicals are put through the pool such as high amounts of chlorine.

Oy vey....I fear for you if you are not a parent and choose to someday become one. As for your take on Darwinism playing into a young ones tragedy, you have proven one thing. There certainly is a difference in "strong" – those who are strong-willed/minded and those who are strong in character. Clearly, they do not always coexist.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
From another Disney Fan Board -

I was intrigued so I messaged a friend who is a CM in this "area."

He said it's all true, even the part about it not being widely shared with the staff.

He also said that the November estimate isn't going to be a full completion date, but things will be in full swing by then and progress rapidly. It's not likely that they can add and train the sheer amount of staff that will be necessary by November. Coordinators and up have already been reassigned to cover the new areas.

No pools will close, but they all will be fenced and have a life guard. Generally, pool hours will be 7am to 11pm.

Edited to clarify - It's a life guard not guard as in security.

Last edited:

Bairstow

Wait, so assuming this is true, Disney can afford to post a guard at every pool? Why not just use the same money to pay for a lifeguard?

This seems like such an extraordinary expense that Disney's legal counsel must have really put the fear in them.

Wouldn't it be safer to just fill all the pools in and replace them with padded, above-ground water play areas?

DSC09432.JPG

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Wait, so assuming this is true, Disney can afford to post a guard at every pool? Why not just use the same money to pay for a lifeguard?

This seems like such an extraordinary expense that Disney's legal counsel must have really put the fear in them.

Wouldn't it be safer to just fill all the pools in and replace them with padded, above-ground water play areas?

DSC09432.JPG
I assumed it meant life guard but I will ask.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Closing the pool at 11 PM any resort area that is often open and kicking until well after midnight or 1 AM is absolutely absurd. If People are concerned about pool noise, then they should select the room location far away from the pool. We have kids and are always at the pool very late at night after returning from the parks. We're not screaming and yelling disturbing other guests, just relaxing from a long day. Part of the reason we started staying moderates instead of values was because they have hot tubs. If I can't use that hot tub after 12 hours in the Magic Kingdom, my money is wasted. As for the novelty of swimming, we also have a pool at home. But there's a huge difference between swimming in our own backyard swimming at the World. If they need to put a fence and gate for security and safety purposes, that's fine. Just don't lock them. ;)

Unfortunately the guest has no say so over where there room is located.

Yes, you may ask for a certain location, and you MIGHT get it, but usually your room will be assigned by what is currently available when you arrive

flynnibus

Premium Member
Life is what it is. I make no apologies for people specifically parents that cannot, or will not take interest and control of their kids. Watching your kids every second of the day is what a parent does and is supposed to do

Ever hear of the term 'helicopter parents'?

You were never out of the sight of your parents growing up?

Care to share with us how many kids you have and have raised?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

DSC09432.JPG

you can still drown in two inches of water.

NoWayJose

Original Poster
I actually feel foolish for not staying somewhere other than the BC during most of my stays. There's been COUNTLESS times when coming back late night from the park where ive thought "man, id love to recuperate in the hot tub right now." Sigh. This is like my own personal Disney version of "Is it better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all?" hah.

MissingDisney

I should have been more specific. What I meant was when you request a preferred room more times than not, it's near the pool. We have booked preferred rooms but specifically requested to not be poolside. Some resorts allow you to choose poolside as a specific option. That's what I was referring to by choosing their room.

jkl2000

I think it makes sense that Disney close their pools after a certain time, not only for safety issues, but for guest consideration as well. Over the summer we stayed at a hotel in Williamsburg where the pool was open all night. I was awake at 2AM because people were partying at the pool. It was extremely annoying. 11PM is an appropriate time to close the pools.
I agree - 11pm is later than what most hotels allow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom