Disney plus Imagineering

Stevek

"If you look at it through the eyes of someone who has no nostalgia for that, who doesn't know anything about it, [the Shanghai guests] said 'Wow, this is slow and boring'. And they said that "I felt like I was looking through little windows and the action was out there somewhere, but I wasn't in it'".

- Bob Weis

This is the quote from episode 6 of the show. The implication by saying this is that anyone who rides PotC for the first time now would think this, and we know that's not true just from how popular the ride is at the four other Magic Kingdoms. Millions of people experience it every year. They're not all APs or people who rode it as children.
So folks are misrepresenting what Weis said...he didn’t say it was boring...he said Shanghai guests thought it was boring.

britain

"If you look at it through the eyes of someone who has no nostalgia for that, who doesn't know anything about it, [the Shanghai guests] said 'Wow, this is slow and boring'. And they said that "I felt like I was looking through little windows and the action was out there somewhere, but I wasn't in it'".

- Bob Weis

This is the quote from episode 6 of the show. The implication by saying this is that anyone who rides PotC for the first time now would think this, and we know that's not true just from how popular the ride is at the four other Magic Kingdoms. Millions of people experience it every year. They're not all APs or people who rode it as children.
Millions of people who ride it every year also don’t care for it or think it’s fine, but not worth planning a vacation over it.

TrainsOfDisney

I laughed out loud at the quote for galaxies edge - “bounderies blurred between what’s an attraction and what’s not” - yeah I’ll say so. Most of it is not! Lol

They showed some pretty cool stuff with pandora.

The guardians thing was annoying.... you destroyed the visual that was created with the tower. If they had made the tower fit visually with the old-style of Hollywood I wouldn’t hate it quite so much. I rode it once, it’s fine. I didn’t ever care for the California tower that much anyways so I’m ok with losing it, but the outside ruins the whole park imho.

Animaniac93-98

Millions of people who ride it every year also don’t care for it or think it’s fine, but not worth planning a vacation over it.

Perhaps the lesson is that opinions from small sample groups don't mean much?

Disney has their own surveys, as do other venues like The Unofficial Guide. It think it's safe to assume most people like the ride.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I remember a ton of backlash regarding M:BO's announcement. You would've been ripping your hair out trying to find a supporter of it amongst the Disney parks community. I understand the documentary wouldn't make too much light of that, but to spend as much time as they did on the development of the ride itself, then pretend it was "so amazing" made me nauseous.

Mission Cheapout isnt any more popular than ToT was. I highly doubt they made any real return from it. At this point I'd rather the building just be demolished and I'm not being sarcastic.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I remember a ton of backlash regarding M:BO's announcement. You would've been ripping your hair out trying to find a supporter of it amongst the Disney parks community. I understand the documentary wouldn't make too much light of that, but to spend as much time as they did on the development of the ride itself, then pretend it was "so amazing" made me nauseous.

Mission Cheapout isnt any more popular than ToT was. I highly doubt they made any real return from it. At this point I'd rather the building just be demolished and I'm not being sarcastic.

It basically had the hype of a new popcorn bucket. After everyone that wanted to ride it went on it the lines went down to just barely above what it was before they glued all the straws to the facade. Just like the Incredicoaster.

Phroobar

It basically had the hype of a new popcorn bucket. After everyone that wanted to ride it went on it the lines went down to just barely above what it was before they glued all the straws to the facade. Just like the Incredicoaster.
If line length is a measure of how popular something is then the straws didn't hurt attendance either. It's just as popular as before. From their point of view, it now fits their marketing and is relevant. No harm. No foul.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
It does seem to have longer lines? But I have no data for that. I think it grew a bit of a crowd just like Pixar Pier did.

The wait times are generally the same. At their extremes, ToT went out with 200+ min long waits, M:BO was introduced with 200+min long waits, and it's since equalized after a few months, partially showing there was no real need for this change. ToT could've used a seasonal overlay or late checkout much earlier and I guarantee it would've re-sparked interest in the area.

If line length is a measure of how popular something is then the straws didn't hurt attendance either. It's just as popular as before. From their point of view, it now fits their marketing and is relevant. No harm. No foul.

Attendance did fall over this last summer, and I like to believe (heavy emphasis) changes like M:BO were contributing factors..

Who did I hear it from on here, that Iger and company were disappointed in the park investment returns courtesy of Bob Chapek's changes and ideas?

Mac Tonight

Finished the show this weekend (actually watched ep 6 twice) and weirdly the one thing that stuck out to me was just how uncomfortable and robotic Iger looked when giving his Shanghai opening speech. It was almost a disservice to him to cut back and forth between that and Walt's Disneyland address.

Now that it's all over... I would give it a 9/10.

I'm glad they found the right balance between highlight reel and showing mistakes and miscues along the way.
It could have easily been way more of the straight puff piece that we all feared.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Finished the show this weekend (actually watched ep 6 twice) and weirdly the one thing that stuck out to me was just how uncomfortable and robotic Iger looked when giving his Shanghai opening speech. It was almost a disservice to him to cut back and forth between that and Walt's Disneyland address.

Now that it's all over... I would give it a 9/10.

I'm glad they found the right balance between highlight reel and showing mistakes and miscues along the way.
It could have easily been way more of the straight puff piece that we all feared.

I'm personally thankful they only showed Chapek for only maybe a total of 15 seconds in the entire series.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom