Disney plus Imagineering

Travel Junkie

That Disney should focus its theme parks on people who don’t like theme parks is just a dumb idea. It’s like saying the animation studio should focus on making movies for people who aren’t interested in movies. It’s not a good business decision.

Never said or implied as such.

Edit to add: Just because someone doesn't experience or think about think about theme parks the same way as you do, doesn't mean they don't like them.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Never said or implied as such.

Edit to add: Just because someone doesn't experience or think about think about theme parks the same way as you do, doesn't mean they don't like them.
“My point is that for many though, the theme park is not the draw.”
So these people like theme parks, it’s just not the reason they go to theme parks? Yeah, that makes even more sense...

__r.jr

It is astonishing how strongly this docuseries commences from a generally honest, historical documentary to corporate propaganda piece once one has arrived to episode five, Bob Iger's integration and influence over the theme parks.

Disappointing, yet not surprising.

TROR

It is astonishing how strongly this docuseries commences from a generally honest, historical documentary to corporate propaganda piece once one has arrived to episode five, Bob Iger's integration and influence over the theme parks.

Disappointing, yet not surprising.
And by having the first episodes be clearly honest, the audience assumes the rest are as well...

Travel Junkie

“My point is that for many though, the theme park is not the draw.”
So these people like theme parks, it’s just not the reason they go to theme parks? Yeah, that makes even more sense...

The reason Disney and Universal have such higher attendance numbers in relation to the competition is the IP associated with their companies. Without it, the numbers would fall much closer to the rest of the pack.

Tony Baxter has said as much as he pushed to get Star Wars into the park as the IP in Disneyland was stagnant and not resonating with the public at the time.

lazyboy97o

The reason Disney and Universal have such higher attendance numbers in relation to the competition is the IP associated with their companies. Without it, the numbers would fall much closer to the rest of the pack.

Tony Baxter has said as much as he pushed to get Star Wars into the park as the IP in Disneyland was stagnant and not resonating with the public at the time.
Utter bullocks. Plenty of parks and experiences have been associated with popular IP that didn’t do anything for their attendance. Disney dominated attendance well before the franchise mandate. EPCOT Center didn’t lag well behind in attendance. Six Flags attendance didn’t surge with hype for The Dark Knight.

Phroobar

Disneyland and Universal Studios are also tourist traps. They are know though out the world. Someone in Kansas has never heard of Knotts.

Travel Junkie

Disneyland and Universal Studios are also tourist traps. They are know though out the world. Someone in Kansas has never heard of Knotts.

Hmmm I wonder why they are so well known.

Utter bullocks. Plenty of parks and experiences have been associated with popular IP that didn’t do anything for their attendance. Disney dominated attendance well before the franchise mandate. EPCOT Center didn’t lag well behind in attendance. Six Flags attendance didn’t surge with hype for The Dark Knight.

I'm sure Universal Parks and Resorts doubling their attendance in a decade had nothing to do with a certain boy wizard.

Please explain how Disney IP has nothing to do with their high attendance numbers. That it doesn't influence anyone into choosing Disneyland over another theme park. I'm sure Disney execs would appreciate finding out they don't know what they are doing and have been all wrong about their strategy.

lazyboy97o

Hmmm I wonder why they are so well known.

I'm sure Universal Parks and Resorts doubling their attendance in a decade had nothing to do with a certain boy wizard.

Please explain how Disney IP has nothing to do with their high attendance numbers. That it doesn't influence anyone into choosing Disneyland over another theme park. I'm sure Disney execs would appreciate finding out they don't know what they are doing and have been all wrong about their strategy.
The decades where Disney dominated attendance without focusing on IP or operating under a franchise mandate... Expedition Everest was a better return on investment than anything Iger has approved.

Travel Junkie

The decades where Disney dominated attendance without focusing on IP or operating under a franchise mandate... Expedition Everest was a better return on investment than anything Iger has approved.

Disneyland attendance stagnated for decades. After a brief uptick for the 30th it took an infusion of IP that Disney didn't own at the time for attendance to rise.

Prove EE is a better ROI than anything Iger has approved. What do the financials say?

DanielBB8

Disney didn't invest much in Orlando for 2 decades. The parks were stagnate until Universal blew that wide open. I'm not sure we can return to that era. Universal EPIC will arrive soon. Disney had better be ready.

lazyboy97o

Disneyland attendance stagnated for decades. After a brief uptick for the 30th it took an infusion of IP that Disney didn't own at the time for attendance to rise.

Prove EE is a better ROI than anything Iger has approved. What do the financials say?
Just compare the cost of Everest and what it did. Despite these IPs that are the “real” draw, Disney is spending more and more to attract each new dollar and guest.

Travel Junkie

Just compare the cost of Everest and what it did. Despite these IPs that are the “real” draw, Disney is spending more and more to attract each new dollar and guest.

So as I thought. You are guessing.

I would imagine DCA 2.0 was more significant considering the financial situation it was in. Even though Pandora cost more the percentage increase in attendance was nearly double that of EE. Also there is this. When EE debuted, the other parks at WDW also went up. When Pandora debuted MK and DHS were flat. Epcot gained thanks to a Frozen Ever After bump, but not the other parks. Try and convince me that all of WDW went up in 2006 due solely EE opening. Something tells me there are other factors at play as to why all of WDW went up that year. It's a non descript coaster after all. ;)

DanielBB8

IP doesn’t cost Disney any additional money. They already own a lot. Everest has that expensive Yeti that doesn’t work. Most of the ride is in the dark. IP has more merchandise opportunities since more people know what it is. ROI should be measured against many elements, not just the cost to build it.

Travel Junkie

IP doesn’t cost Disney any additional money. They already own a lot. Everest has that expensive Yeti that doesn’t work. Most of the ride is in the dark. IP has more merchandise opportunities since more people know what it is. ROI should be measured against many elements, not just the cost to build it.

As much as we only want to talk about the parks, this is an entire Eco system of brand integration. Shanghai Disneyland for example was not built purely to make money off of the resort. It is as much or more about a way into mainland China for merchandise and film/TV.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Wow... you've just been promoted to head revisionist. Stagnant for decades? The park attendance climbed steadily from opening all the way through to the early 80s.. when it finally hit a snag. Climbing even through the stagnant 70s that saw Disney's style falling from favor. The only thing 'stagnant' was the park itself!

1400px-Disneyland_Park_annual_attendance.svg.png

By the 80s, we entered a new generational of GenX that hadn't grown up the same as the generation before.. and Disney as a whole brand was stagnant and seen as 'old fashioned' and out of date. That's why we had the whole kurfuffel with the Ron Miller era. This wasn't a lack of IP in the parks - it was a complete cultural collapse of WDP as they floundered in the 'WWWD' years of the 70s and even when they tried to fix it, were failing.

People do not dismiss the importance of IP in attracting guests... but your postualation that it's the ONLY differentiating factor and why people come to the parks is absolutely absurd. You are taking some anecdotal comments and completely misinterpreting them.

Then add in the correlation does not mean causation elements you've mashed in as well. The idea the parks would drop to six flags levels without the popular IP has got to be the richest thing I've ever read in these forums. Congrats... you've even topped jt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom