Disney plans hiring freeze, some jobs cut......

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Xennial here. Gen X cynic meets millennial tech native.
1668453166892.jpeg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I mean, I hate layoffs. I hate all the recession talk. I hate stock markets and quarterly earnings and this mindset of making every quarter better than the next (which usually means cutting costs).

BUT,

This isn’t a Disney only problem. And hiring freezes / lay offs are happening globally.

Companies are cutting back on projects like crazy, all over.
I say this all the time…and it’s almost “game time”…

But recessions are good for Disney park fans.
Not the town, country, world…but as a check against the stupidity of management? Yes…no question.

EPCOT-O.G.

I say this all the time…and it’s almost “game time”…

But recessions are good for Disney park fans.
Not the town, country, world…but as a check against the stupidity of management? Yes…no question.
I used to think so. But CFO McCarthy has already said the discounts offered will not be as drastic as in recent recessions.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I used to think so. But CFO McCarthy has already said the discounts offered will not be as drastic as in recent recessions.
She is full of crap. Because Bob and Bob pushed the line of where the price points can be effective with “minor” discounts

I’m a watcher…and I have witnesses on how long I’ve “watched” that.

A large attendance reduction due to balking at discounts will get them all fired. Watch it play

EPCOT-O.G.

She is full of crap. Because Bob and Bob pushed the line of where the price points can be effective with “minor” discounts

I’m a watcher…and I have witnesses on how long I’ve “watched” that.

A large attendance reduction due to balking at discounts will get them all fired. Watch it play
I hope you’re right. Here’s me hoping on the sidelines with built up SWA miles that’s going to be the case.

5C16810F-BBA9-4704-988D-1847E9CCEC56.gif

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I happen to know a little bit about this.

I can't say no one in P&R is going to get fired, but it won't be things that guests see.

Well, if they end up outsourcing more of their IT and app dev positions their apps can't get any w... oh wait... ;)

This definitely sounds like anyone in middle management (however that is defined at TWDC) should have a fresh resume at the ready. But I also believe that there will be front-line positions that aren't filled when someone leaves. That way they can get away with saying, "We aren't cutting CM's in the parks!". That's inevitably how things go, from my experience in the companies I've worked for.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Only because Disney tends to give away their product for cheap.

Disney is suggesting they won't be so cheap this time.
Nothing says, "Success!" like holding the line on prices for a completely unnecessary expenditure during a recession. I bet Bob can already smell the money that will be flowing in when they hold the line on prices! He, Christine, Josh, and Jeff will have to personally beat people away with a magic wand because so many people will be trying to get into the parks.

TP2000

Pausing cost them nothing.

True, but what's the goal there now I wonder? Did Burbank seriously give up on the Lake Nona concept of moving thousands of employees from California to Florida? It's cheaper for the company long-term to have those employees in Florida, which was the point of it all.

It's still cheaper long-term. And Ron DeSantis was re-elected in a landslide four days before Chapek had to release his memo announcing cutbacks and hiring freezes and coming layoffs.

The whole thing seems really silly to me. Especially at a company that is now in minor crisis mode.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I happen to know a little bit about this.

I can't say no one in P&R is going to get fired, but it won't be things that guests see.
So you’re a name tag?

Ok…that’s important…

But have you seen these before?

No one will be fired…they just will let the high turnover trim the staff organically.

It’s beautiful…lower management buyouts aren’t “firings” either.

Let it Ride!!

bcoachable

True, but what's the goal there now I wonder? Did Burbank seriously give up on the Lake Nona concept of moving thousands of employees from California to Florida? It's cheaper for the company long-term to have those employees in Florida, which was the point of it all.

It's still cheaper long-term. And Ron DeSantis was re-elected in a landslide four days before Chapek had to release his memo announcing cutbacks and hiring freezes and coming layoffs.

The whole thing seems really silly to me. Especially at a company that is now in minor crisis mode.
WDW has no one like Zenia Mucha to direct the traffic any longer…. Mistakes will be made (seen)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom