Disney-Pixar Studios

frankd1962

If I had my say in it, I would like the Park to go back to making some shows there like they use to. It was fun to go through the sound proof area and watch them film or change sets for a future TV show. Tunr the soundstages into something else instead of storage areas.

As for the name, whatever they call it they call it. All I know is Star Tours, Indy Jones, ToT, RnR and Fantasmic are there and I'll be spending my birthday there in June.

rljackson

I love the idea of naming it Disney-Pixar Studios. When I think of Pixar I think of colorful, exciting characters, great stories and fun. MGM seems a little stale(?) to me, whereas Pixar is new exciting technology leader that has revolutionized animation.

I am looking forward to the Midway ride next time I get there and why not a Pixar-themed attraction instead of Sounds Dangerous? I can tell you my children connect better with the Incredibles or Cars characters more than some of the other Disney characters (except Mickey of course) and would love to have them be a part of the park.

Cmdr_Crimson

It's so strange that the newer parks by Disney need "Disney" on it...Magic Kingdom and Epcot dosen't have it in front of theres...Why not take an Affiliated studio like they did for DCA as in using Hollywood Pictures.
Mirmax studios or Touchstone Pictures studios with all the slasher,Action and thrilling movies would work.

LudwigVonDrake

They should do an overhaul of the park and name it, "Disney's Florida Adventure" :lookaroun

Seriously, they should just name it, "The Disney Studios". I'll call it "MGM" anyway no matter what the name is :rolleyes:

Mr Bill

I'd like to see the name changed to The Walt Disney Studios. Most people would just end up calling it the Disney Studios anyway, though.

MuRkErY

I was always kinda confused as to why MGM movies were at a Disney park anyways. I liek the GMR but think it should be replaced with Disney films.

Its beena while but I thinkthe only Disney film I rmember being in the GMR was Mary Poppins, I may be wrong. But I know for a fact that Wizzard of Oz and Alien are NOT Disney.

Because the whole ideology of Disney-MGM Studios is based on "The Movies", and "The Hollywood that never was, and all ways is". If you want to be in a completely "Disney" immersed environment then that's what the Magic Kingdom is for. MGM how ever is a wider celebration of Cinema, Music, and TV as a whole, and to do that you can not just have Disney films.

OmegaKnight

I don't care what the name ends up being, the park could use some help attractions wise. Midway Mania is going to be a start but some other areas of the park (Sounds Dangerous, GMR, etc) could use some rehabbing and they should actually use the soundstages to film real productions, kind of like they used to when the park first opened.

comics101

Original Poster
[/quote]Your the first to say the contract has not expired yet. even JHM says it's already expired.[/quote]

If it was expired, wouldn't they have to take the name out the park?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
It's so strange that the newer parks by Disney need "Disney" on it...Magic Kingdom and Epcot dosen't have it in front of theres...Why not take an Affiliated studio like they did for DCA as in using Hollywood Pictures.
Mirmax studios or Touchstone Pictures studios with all the slasher,Action and thrilling movies would work.

Because the Disney Company would never allow the Disney name that for the most part is strongly related to family quality films and entertainment be directly linked to their non "family" holdings in such a bold manner.

imagineer boy

MuRkErY said:
Because the whole ideology of Disney-MGM Studios is based on "The Movies", and "The Hollywood that never was, and all ways is". If you want to be in a completely "Disney" immersed environment then that's what the Magic Kingdom is for. MGM how ever is a wider celebration of Cinema, Music, and TV as a whole, and to do that you can not just have Disney films.

Thank you! I will be seriously depressed if they make a short sighted decision to replace the GMR with a lame disney characters ride. I love going through the classic movies. The purpose of MGM is to celebrate hollywood, movie making, and the best movies ever made.

Scar Junior

The purpose of MGM is to celebrate hollywood, movie making, and the best movies ever made.

Best movies ever made? Quite subjective statement... I will give you Casablanca and perhaps The Wizard of Oz and Indiana Jones... but GMR has a long ways to go until it is a showcase of the best movies ever made. I'll admit that they are some of the most memorable, but I doubt anyone who studies the field will say that the films on the ride are the best ever.

To each his own though... like I say, it's quite subjective.

head mouse

Just had to add this quote from the beloved Steve Irwin.

"Crikey, mate. You're far safer dealing with crocodiles and western diamondback rattlesnakes than the executives and the producers and all those sharks in the big MGM building."

DisneyWales

As much as i dont like the name Disney-Pixar Studios. It makes the most market sence.

For the typical guest who looks at a WDW site map, or advertisement they will see the name Pixar and think, Oh lets go see Buzz/The Cars there.

Basically they get two bangs for their buck.

Not only do they attract Disney Films fans, but they now get Pixar film fans.

Hope Disney go with Disney Studios as the theme works (Paris park has a nice feel its just TOO small)

They can still have individually licensed films and ride's, just the bigger picture will change slightly.

Maybe it's just me, but there's something about the Disney Studios that just sounds odd. Maybe it's the one word thing because I personally the The Walt Disney Studios would be good.

Agreed. Walt Disney Studios is a far better name.

I was playing with my Pal Mickey yesterday and he referred to it as "The Movie Studio" it just sounded weird.

Tanis

Metro Goldwyn Mayer

MGM

Actually its Metro Goldwyn Mayer and Moore.

Mary Tyler Moore but a substantial portion of the controlling interest in the company but did not request a change to the Accronym or the Logo because she felt they were both iconic and MGM always supported her and her vast and talented career.

However, this all changing as soon as the the final deal is pushed though with Sony, in late 2006 see here

MGM houses one of the largest post-1948 film libraries in the world with some 4,000 titles -- including the Bond and Pink Panther series as well as hits such as Rain Man and Rocky. In 2005 billionaire Kirk Kerkorian sold MGM to a consortium of investors led by Sony Corporation of America

MuRkErY

Best movies ever made? Quite subjective statement... I will give you Casablanca and perhaps The Wizard of Oz and Indiana Jones... but GMR has a long ways to go until it is a showcase of the best movies ever made. I'll admit that they are some of the most memorable, but I doubt anyone who studies the field will say that the films on the ride are the best ever.

Well I'd have to say Alien is up there at least in the top 100 films ever made, Mary Poppins is one of the greatest musicals ever, and Singing in the Rain also would deserve a place in the top 100 films ever made. In fact the only movie in GMR that probably does not deserve a place is Tarzan IMO.

The majority of movies in GMR are considered great movies by the majority of the public.

imagineer boy

Scar Junior said:

To each his own though... like I say, it's quite subjective.

Really? I would certainly consider Wizard of Oz, Fantasia, Casablanca, Raders of the Lost Ark, Alien, Clint Eastwood/ John Wayne films, Singing in the Rain, and Mary Poppins as some of the best movies ever made. Probably not Tarzan ( which needs to be replaced with something else. )

uklad79

Actually its Metro Goldwyn Mayer and Moore.

Mary Tyler Moore but a substantial portion of the controlling interest in the company but did not request a change to the Accronym or the Logo because she felt they were both iconic and MGM always supported her and her vast and talented career.

However, this all changing as soon as the the final deal is pushed though with Sony, in late 2006 see here

Please quote a source for this as I have never read anything that says it was "Metro Goldwyn Mayer and Moore"
MTM Enterprises INC had a simlar logo but had a cat (mimsie) instead of a lion by way of taking the mickey. MTM was set up in 1970 so most of Mary's show were made by MTM owned by her and her first husband
MTM (Mary Tyler Moore) Enterprises was bought out by UK tv operator TVS in 1990 just before it applied to have it's licence renewed by the goverment. It lost in it's bid and the the whole company was sold to Pat Robinsons Family Channel in 1992 which was launching in the UK on Satalite and needed studios and programming. The Family Channel then was sold to Fox in 1996 so they now own MTM. It has had nothing to do with MGM and nether has Mary Tyler Moore from what I can find. So I imagine if you posted that "fact" you must have a source to back it up which I would love to read.

Your final point was that this is all changing soon. So are you trying to say that the compnay will be MGMM? and the park will be called Disney MGMM Studios. Just think of all the extra M's Disney will have to order :hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom