Disney-Pixar Studios

head mouse

What do you mean? Pixar and Disney are one in the same now since Disney has officially purchased them. They can't just back out in 10 years. But they should just call it the Disney Studios if and when they stop using MGM.

This is Disney we're talking about. We could wake up tomorow and it be called. Disney - Universal Studios (scarasim)

They cange stuff like most people change underwear.

People are so used to just saying MGM it would be weird for the change, but in the long run, (IMO) I think Disney Studios will be easier to roll off the toung.

LilRoo714

I have to agree that Disney Studios makes the most sense as a new name. Why put the "-Pixar" in there if they want to fold the company into the overall Disney company? That makes it appear that the companies are still operating under some sort of partnership agreement and that Pixar has lent Disney their name. Plus there's Pixar in all the parks - and most parks (as Jim Hill said in his article) have greater numbers of Pixar-themed attractions than MGM has! So distinguishing the park specifically as Disney-Pixar seems unecessary. The average guest is already expecting to encounter Pixar at all of the parks.

wedway71

I think its safe to assume that MGM name will be gone being that MGM is in the planning process of a movie studio park in South Korea I believe set to open on 2010.
I say go with DISNEY BROS. STUDIOS with icons of Roy and Walt like when they first started with Mickey in the middle.

head mouse

I believe the original agreement let's that ride stay the same. But would be cool if it were maybe updated a smidge.

I was always kinda confused as to why MGM movies were at a Disney park anyways. I liek the GMR but think it should be replaced with Disney films.

Its beena while but I thinkthe only Disney film I rmember being in the GMR was Mary Poppins, I may be wrong. But I know for a fact that Wizzard of Oz and Alien are NOT Disney. :animwink:

I think its safe to assume that MGM name will be gone being that MGM is in the planning process of a movie studio park in South Korea I believe set to open on 2010.
I say go with DISNEY BROS. STUDIOS with icons of Roy and Walt like when they first started with Mickey in the middle.

Eh. Too much like Warner Bros. Need to distinguish (sp) Something that says "THIS IS DISNEY"

Connor002

Since Disney owns PIXAR, isn't that name a bit redundant? :lookaroun
Either way, personally, I'd like it to be simply shortened down to the "Disney Studios," as this eliminated confusion with MGM, as weel as avoiding calling it something like, oh say: Disney-PIXAR-ABC-Touchstone-ESPN-Mirimax Studios. :lookaroun

head mouse

Sorry for so many post in this thread. I just remembered something thats been mentioned a few times before.

I have a good feeling it will be just 'Disney Studios' since even the planning videos are calling it Disney Studios.

studios.jpg

uglybug2005

When MGM signed a licensing agreement in the 80s with Disney, they were (once again) in financial turmoil, and so desperate for the agreement that they granted rights to use the MGM name and movie references in perpetuity (that means forever), which means that while Disney could certainly change the name of the park, or reduce the presence of MGM-produced movies within the park, or both, they are not required to at any point ever.
Also, the Great Movie Ride (as well as the rest of the park) features films that were produced by MGM, Warner Bros, Fox, Paramount, RKO, United Artists, Columbia Pictures, and others. MGM does not own any rights to The Wizard of Oz (nor does their current owner, Sony). Turner bought that film along with many others in the MGM library years and years ago, and then Turner merged with Time Warner back in the 90s. Niether deal affects the use of Oz in GMR, however.
The idea that "The MGM contract is about to run out!" is pure internet hokum.
A very good point has been made about an MGM theme park opening in Asia being a viable reason for Disney to want to disassociate their Studios park in FL from that brand, however.

Also also... I like "The Disney/ABC Studios" personally...

tirian

Kinda tread jacking here. What will become of the MGM rides???

ie: Great movie ride is all MGM movies.

Through Ted Turner, Warner now owns the rights to all the MGM films featured in the Great Movie Ride. The current Sony-owned MGM can't do anything about the films featured in that attraction.

Internet myths are stupid. :fork:

:wave:

Edit: I posted this before reading the entire thread. Uglybug beat me to it! :)

BadTigger

OK time to set some info straight, MGM was bought by a consortium mainly headed by SONY last year http://www.indiewire.com/biz/biz_050411mgm.html one of the reasons they were losing money big time. Now heres the deal DISNEY wasn't able to pay for the park back in the day so they looked for a sponsor MGM made a deal to every year fork over money. Just like FED-EX AT&T and others have done for rides at EPCOT. Well since the buy-out and restructure the whoel Disney deal was basically ended(not being renewed) since MGM wasn't seeing any type of money, and Disney really doesn't need it anymore. Disney has also in the past wanted to break ties due to red tape issues, part of the deal was that MGM would have some say on what went on with the park.

The MGM contract with Disney is due to expire next year, and is not being re-newed for obvious reasons one being Disney has wanted to break ties in the past.

I think Jim is right that we very well could see the name change to DISNEY-PIXAR and that would make a lot of sense since both companies are one in the same now. One reason for this is they wouldn't want to have two parks the same name they already have DISNEY STUDIOUS over seas, then comes WALT DISNEY STUDIOS why can't they do that, cause the REAL studio holds that name.

Other Possibles could be DISNEY STUDIOS ORLANDO, DISNEY STUDIOS FLORIDA, WALT DISNEY WORLD STUDIOS.

But lets face it those are long and don't open up merchendise possiblities as does DISNEY-PIXAR Studios.

head mouse

Also also... I like "The Disney/ABC Studios" personally...

The problem with the ABC add-on is it would bring alot of crappy show products into the parks.

Can you imagine KYLE XY attraction of some sort? (note: I totaly LOVE that show)

The MGM contract with Disney is due to expire next year, and is not being re-newed for obvious reasons one being Disney has wanted to break ties in the past.

Your the first to say the contract has not expired yet. even JHM says it's already expired.

Why a name change? More importantly,why now? Well, you have to understand that the Walt Disney Company's original licensing agreement for use of the MGM name in a theme park setting actually expired last year. On June 27, 2005 to be precise.

BadTigger

Your the first to say the contract has not expired yet. even JHM says it's already expired.

It could be but I'm pretty sure the original deal was for 13 years which would put it till 2002. But there was some sort of revision/ extension with the whole use of the name and lion logo, I wish I still had the article from last year when the whole MGM buyout happened cause it had some of the details of the Disney deal. Either way Disney-Pixar is very plausable.

uklad79

Now heres the deal DISNEY wasn't able to pay for the park back in the day so they looked for a sponsor MGM made a deal to every year fork over money. Just like FED-EX AT&T and others have done for rides at EPCOT.

Please do quote your source or post a link as this sounds like made up rubbish. Why would a failing movie studio that had sold all its assets and was not making films anymore want to pay Disney to add it's name to a park? The version I have read says that Disney didn't have a big enough live action movie brand at the time as Touchstone was pretty new so they decided that the MGM name was well known in the movie business (mainly based on it's past films and not what it was doing at the time) Kirk Kerkorian sold the rights to Disney to use them name for a theme park. He used the name on hotels, an airline, TV stations, and for the selling of the classic films and new films made for MGM by other studios.
Kirk Kerkorian sold the MGM studio business to Sony/com-cast last year but they didn't buy any buildings as they had all been long sold they bought the rights to make future films under the MGM name, the rights to it's film properties and the catalog of films for DVD distribution (Warner own the TV rights pre 1986 films through Turners purchase of MGM before selling most of it back to Kerkorian). Kerkorian now owns no rights to the MGM Studios but owns the MGM name for use on anything except making, selling, and distributing films.
So with all of that I can see Disney wanting to move away from the MGM name as MGM is again going to start producing films on a large scale and most likely wouldn't want it's themeparks name being associated with a company that is once again making films. I imagine the fee they pay for the name could also be better used and now Kerkorian's MGM Mirage company is building a joint venture park in Asia Disney doesn't want confusion with them.

Scar Junior

It's a repetitive discussion that never concludes (thus, the repetition)...

With that said... For almost 5 years I have commonly called it "The Disney Studios" or "Disney Studios." But, usually my posts will say "Disney Studios/MGM" or "DS/MGM" so people will know what I mean. In actual live conversations sometimes people will leave the second or two of pause implying that they don't know what I mean and I will mumble ...MGM...

I clearly prefer this name, but in the grand scheme of things it's just a name. I don't view the theme park as "Disney/MGM Studios Theme Park."

Jim Hill can say what he wants, I am neutral on his - and other people's - opinions and so called 'late breaking rumors.' I am just thinking IF.... IF and WHEN it is it changed, it should be the "Disney Studios." Frankly, if it is "Disney Studios Florida" I don't care. I will still call it "DS" or "Disney Studios."

-Scar

PS. I'm pretty happy that this repetitious rumor thread didn't turn into a huge argument or bashing of the original poster. Way to go guys and gals! Truth be told, I was worried when I read the thread's title.

head mouse

It's a repetitive discussion that never concludes (thus, the repetition)...

With that said... For almost 5 years I have commonly called it "The Disney Studios" or "Disney Studios." But, usually my posts will say "Disney Studios/MGM" or "DS/MGM" so people will know what I mean. In actual live conversations sometimes people will leave the second or two of pause implying that they don't know what I mean and I will mumble ...MGM...

I clearly prefer this name, but in the grand scheme of things it's just a name. I don't view the theme park as "Disney/MGM Studios Theme Park."

Jim Hill can say what he wants, I am neutral on his - and other people's - opinions and so called 'late breaking rumors.' I am just thinking IF.... IF and WHEN it is it changed, it should be the "Disney Studios." Frankly, if it is "Disney Studios Florida" I don't care. I will still call it "DS" or "Disney Studios."

-Scar

PS. I'm pretty happy that this repetitious rumor thread didn't turn into a huge arguement or bashing or the original poster. Way to go guys and gals! Truth be told, I was worried when I read the thread's title.

I agree 100% with every word you just said.

I call it Disney Studios but when I am online I may refer to it in short as MGM to save time and so people will know what I mean.

Scar Junior

If they are going to use the word "studio" shouldn't there be some sort of ongoing production?

Not necessarily (sp? that doesn't look right). The park can be ABOUT the magic of entertainment without making it...

Ex. GMR is about classic movies, ToT can be considered TV or the mystery genre, sounds dangerous = foley sound, RnR = music industry, Beauty and the Beast = live theater, Muppets 4D = puppetry, animation = animation, Backlot Tour = (failed attempt at) props, FX, costuming and other behind the scenes entertainment, Brown Derby = Hollywood Culture, etc.

dbogue

ok i really dont care about the name if one thing happens, which it seems like most are forgetting.......return it back to a flippin studio people. Like people coming into work there, but not just cast members....like people to make movies, or tv shows...use the old sets to make tv shows, refresh the animation building, its lost its glamour over the years.......:cry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom