Disney paying tuition for hourly workers

DisneyJoe

They do, but it's not 100% and any courses taken must be directly related to their current role. A salaried ops manager couldn't go take an Accounting course, for example.
Depends on the benefit. I was in IT for many years, and while I didn't take advantage of the reimbursement, I had co-workers who did and many took courses to get their MBA or took non-IT related coursework. One definitely had a finance concentration.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It does strike me as odd that it's limited to hourly workers though. I can't figure out the logic behind that part. Isn't it feasible that salaried workers might like to participate in something like this as well?

You're assuming there isn't such a program of sorts in place already...

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
You're assuming there isn't such a program of sorts in place already...
Asked my wife to text her CM friend at WDW. There's a program for salaried cast but it's less than 100% and must be directly related to their role.

That’s fairly standard though...why allow stuff that doesn’t relate to the job?
That's my point. I think that's an appropriate program, which is why I'm confused that the hourly people are getting 100% to study seemingly whatever they'd like.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's my point. I think that's an appropriate program, which is why I'm confused that the hourly people are getting 100% to study seemingly whatever they'd like.

Cause there’s no degree in “magic kingdom afternoon parade route masking tape lining”. So no 400 level courses either.

It’s unskilled labor...as is readily shoved down their throat in places such as these if they look for livable wages 😉

PortOrleans

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...fers-to-pay-tuition-for-80000-hourly-workers/

Didn't see this posted so I thought I would share. I think this is a step in the right direction for the company.

Any move to assist individuals in their educational pursuits should be applauded. Not only does this help those individuals but forms economic advancement (helping everyone as more income translates to more spending) and creates an educated population. This is a great decision!

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Cause there’s no degree in “magic kingdom afternoon parade route masking tape lining”. So no 400 level courses either.

It’s unskilled labor...as is readily shoved down their throat in places such as these if they look for livable wages 😉
one is professional development...
one may be more open because they know the hourly workers are not necessarily in a career role... as limiting a janitor to courses 'direct related to their role' would be kind of punishment...
Not every hourly worker is a front liner making $10.

matt9112

I’d like to see all companies do this.

The $2 trillion education debt bubble is the looming crisis that nobody ever talks about. We are using 20th century thinking to apply to 21st century pricing.

I’ll applaud disney for this...whatever the reasons, it’s beneficial and they are in a position to do it.

i agree soon parents will find out that not every billy should go to school for 4 years.... need to stop pushing every kid into college drives up costs and leaves us with some level of grads that are not living up to there potential.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
i agree soon parents will find out that not every billy should go to school for 4 years.... need to stop pushing every kid into college drives up costs and leaves us with some level of grads that are not living up to there potential.

That problem has been rampant since the 90’s...one of the problems with de-industrialization

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's pushed constantly in schools, pretty much everyone is going to college. Colleges are just like any other business, keep the customers coming regardless of price and they will keep pricing higher and higher. With federally backed loans that is exactly what is happening.

In my opinion, many would be better off going into the trades straight out of high school. Plumber, electrician etc. make good money. I can make the case that someone coming straight out of high school into a trade will out earn at least 50% of college graduates. Probably higher than that if the person has some basic business skills and treats his job as a profession. A guy I went to high school with just flat out did badly in school. He wasn't stupid, he was much better at hands-on stuff. He took shop learned to paint cars etc. etc. and he's owned his own shop for years now and does well at it. I also know people with a college degree who have never made more than 50 grand a year. I can tell you any decent plumber can make more than that a year.

BTW if you need something welded get ready for sticker shock, those guys cost a lot of money.

This is the hard truth...but it is a truth.

If you want proof. Talk to a 21 year old after talking to their advisor...

“Well you really NEED an mba or you don’t stand out”

...or a JD...or a doctorate in theoretical trig

They’re salesman. Plain and simple. Like that moonroof package on your Subaru.

Ok...back to topic: yay disney!!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom