Disney Parks in the Real World

NiarrNDisney

Original Poster
I thought it might be fun to share photos you have taken from the Real World (places in your town or from your travels) that remind you of the parks, resorts etc etc. Make sure to mention where the picture was taken and what it reminds you of (extra points for side by side comparisons).
Can't wait to see all the images! :)

Last edited:

NiarrNDisney

Original Poster
I thought this would be a great example to start off the thread:

Mansion in New Orleans Garden District (used as the School for Young Witches in American Horror Story Coven)
Reminds me of Disneylands Haunted Mansion in New Orleans Square

Attachments

• 59.jpg
    59.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:

NiarrNDisney

Original Poster
I love your idea. Unfortunately I don't have any photos to add. I'll enjoy your posts until I can come across something to take a picture of.

Oh thank you! I know everyone's perception on what reminds them of things in the parks and resorts will differ but I just find it interesting and want to see whats in their backyard that brings them back and puts a smile on their face due to a great memory.
Hopefully you will be sharing some pictures soon. Funny thing is I find myself paying a little more attention when I am out and about just in case I find a gem to share.

NiarrNDisney

Original Poster
Took a tour of a real coal mine. Reminded me of Big Thunder Mountain.

DSC03260-X2.jpg

Hello Claustrophobia! Great picture this totally reminds me of the part where the ride begins as the train heads up the hill.

There's a stretch along the main drag of Manitou Springs (small "separate" town here in Colorado Springs) that reminds me so much of Frontierland so I know I will have to get a picture of it sometime or better yet get some pictures of downtown Fort Collins which was John Hench inspiration for a lot of whats seen in Frontierland and Main Street USA.

Last edited:

NiarrNDisney

Original Poster
When taking this picture I didn't realize how it resembled the area in front of Yak & Yeti where the ruins of the huge Tiger statue are.
This was taken at the Hilton Hawaiian Village Resort in Waikiki Beach Hawaii

Attachments

• Yak & Yeti.JPG
    Yak & Yeti.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 174

sedati

Sorry for the poor quality, but I love this topic.
IMG_0206.jpg

This is the Adams Mansion which dates back to 1731.

Aside from looking like something from Liberty Square, the thing that hits me every time I visit is the scale. When seen in person, it immediately jumps out that this building is not built to the same proportions as the newer ones in the area. It honestly looks like it was built to theme park proportions with the 1-5/8-1/2 scaling of the floors.

There's also no real straight lines, everythings a bit skewed from age which gives it a unique character. Another thing is the thick layers of paint which I've come to associate with the parks. It looks fresh and clean, but you can tell they keep on layering new paint over old until it's time for a full stripping.

IMG_0221.jpg

This is something I've only just visited and it is an amazing example of real-world theming. It is themed shell (of actual stone) over a water tower. Even the door has medieval elements. A bit too realistic for Fantasyland, but I did get deja vu for the old Deuling Dragons fortress when I stood in front of it.
IMG_0215.jpg

NiarrNDisney

Original Poster
Sorry for the poor quality, but I love this topic.
View attachment 475059
This is the Adams Mansion which dates back to 1731.

Aside from looking like something from Liberty Square, the thing that hits me every time I visit is the scale. When seen in person, it immediately jumps out that this building is not built to the same proportions as the newer ones in the area. It honestly looks like it was built to theme park proportions with the 1-5/8-1/2 scaling of the floors.

There's also no real straight lines, everythings a bit skewed from age which gives it a unique character. Another thing is the thick layers of paint which I've come to associate with the parks. It looks fresh and clean, but you can tell they keep on layering new paint over old until it's time for a full stripping.

View attachment 475061
This is something I've only just visited and it is an amazing example of real-world theming. It is themed shell (of actual stone) over a water tower. Even the door has medieval elements. A bit too realistic for Fantasyland, but I did get deja vu for the old Deuling Dragons fortress when I stood in front of it.
View attachment 475062

Thank you for posting! I really liked this topic too and to be honest was a little disheartened when it didn't catch on. I'm glad you put a renewed interest in it.

NiarrNDisney

Original Poster
Apologies for resurrecting this thread but since I just stayed next to Denvers version of the Contemporary Resort I just had to share. This is the Denver Renaissance Central Park hotel (not my picture) we stayed next door at the Holiday Inn Denver East the lobby of which reminded me of Orlando MCO Airport.
1684953166638.png

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom