Disney parks going Vegetarian?

Wilbret

How would you all feel if Disney atarted only serving "fake meats" in the parks? Im not a vegetarian myself, but Im eating more and more veg options lately and nowadays they are so good you cant tell the difference. I would totally be down if Disney did this, esp at Animal Kingdom at the very least.
I can clearly tell the difference. I just wouldn't eat, most likely.

MickeyLuv'r

Okay, I'll bite!

If the dish is something like meatless meatballs in sauce, then the meatless tastes pretty similar. I've also made some meals where I make half meat/half beans and they taste about the same. (again think something like meatballs or lasagna, where the meat is buried)

One concern I have for a totally meatless WDW is that meatless often = nuts, soy, and other foods that are common allergens. (top 8 are: Wheat, egg, soy, tree nuts, nuts, milk, shellfish, and fish. I think #9 most common is sesame. ) I don't think it could work for everyone.

[Beyond Meat's top ingredients are: Water, pea protein*, expeller-pressed canola oil, refined coconut oil, rice protein, natural flavors, dried yeast, cocoa butter. Some folks who are allergic to peanuts are also allergic to other legumes as well, since peanuts are a legume. Allergies are mysterious! Other possible allergies are cocoa butter and coconut. ]

I think WDW could have a location that showcases completely vegetarian food. I absolutely think WDW should offer more produce, and they desperately need something like a choose-your-own-awesome salad place (w/ local produce). WDW already has an amazing chef - or did- whose name is Chef TJ. He makes AMAZING veggie food! For a long time he was at Boma, then Poly, then the Grand Floridian. WDW should give him is own restaurant! (I think he's currently at Beach Club, but I don't know that for certain.)

Otherwise, I'm sure WDW could further explore food from India. LOTS of great options!

WDW should also offer ice pop's from St Augustine's The Hyppo. WDW could also introduce Americans to an assortment of tropical fruits, too. Like soursop ice cream. WDW could definitely use more mango, too! While not meatless, certainly more produce would be healthier than what WDW currently offers.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Mike Myers No GIF

Weather_Lady

I'm grateful that Disney offers options for a host of different diets. My family members (one vegetarian, one Keto diet, one Mediterranean diet, one eat-everything) generally have no trouble finding things on the menus at WDW venues that fit our needs. Eliminating any major food group (i.e., meat) would be ridiculous, short-sighted, and stupid... so, I guess, totally a possibility under current management!??! 🤣

Last edited:

jloucks

How would you all feel if Disney atarted only serving "fake meats" in the parks? Im not a vegetarian myself, but Im eating more and more veg options lately and nowadays they are so good you cant tell the difference. I would totally be down if Disney did this, esp at Animal Kingdom at the very least.
If it tastes good and is healthy, I'd give it it a go.

However tastes good AND healthy,,, lol, that is a tough combo. For me.

bhg469

I'm grateful that Disney offers options for a host of different diets. My family members (one vegetarian, one Keto diet, one Mediterranean diet, one eat-everything) generally have no trouble finding things on the menus at WDW venues that fit our needs. Eliminating any major food group would be ridiculous, short-sighted, and stupid... so, I guess, totally a possibility under current management!??! 🤣
I have to say that I have had options at most of the parks with the exception of Magic Kingdom. I am type 2 diabetic and I have kept off of meds by eating a very low carbohydrate diet. I have a super hard time getting anything there other than a plain salad. Even their "greek" salad had fried chicken on it. I think MK needs a major food overhaul, making it more like Disneyland.. It was shocking how much better the food was over there.

Weather_Lady

I have to say that I have had options at most of the parks with the exception of Magic Kingdom. I am type 2 diabetic and I have kept off of meds by eating a very low carbohydrate diet. I have a super hard time getting anything there other than a plain salad. Even their "greek" salad had fried chicken on it. I think MK needs a major food overhaul, making it more like Disneyland.. It was shocking how much better the food was over there.
I feel you. My late mother was a Type 1 diabetic and had to carefully count every gram of carbs in everything she ate, in order to ensure she took the proper amount of insulin to balance it. At WDW, she would order a lot of salads (topping them with dressing she'd brought in her purse, so she knew just what was in it), and a lot of bun-less burgers and plain chicken (which she'd sometimes rinse/wipe off before eating, just in case they'd seasoned or sauced it with something sweet). And don't get me started on the number of times she ordered unsweetened tea or diet soda (not just at WDW, but anywhere), only to be served the sugared version! She managed, but it was a challenge -- and certainly would have been more so if her only "protein" choices had been plant-based, in the manner the OP is imagining, since the plant-bases substitutes are often full of carbs. :(

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

NO NO NO NO

If you don't have to chase it down and kill it, it is not food, it is seasoning.

If a vegetarian diet is so great, why are they trying to make everything taste like meat???
For health reasons, some people are advised to adopt a vegetarian diet, and naturally, they hunger (pun intended) for the taste, texture and filling properties of meat on occasion. Others choose to go vegetarian or vegan for religious or ethical reasons, but still enjoy plant-based faux meats.

At the end of the day, the best case scenario is that everybody gets to choose how they want to eat, and nobody worries about, or judges, what others are eating -- which is why I hope WDW will, to the extent practicable, strive to always offer a variety of options for a variety of dietary needs.

images

Last edited:

gitchard

For health reasons, some people are advised to adopt a vegetarian diet, and naturally, they hunger (pun intended) for the taste, texture and filling properties of meat on occasion. Others choose to go vegetarian or vegan for religious or ethical reasons, but still enjoy plant-based faux meats.

At the end of the day, the best case scenario is that everybody gets to choose how they want to eat, and nobody worries about, or judges, what others are eating -- which is why I hope WDW will, to the extent practicable, strive to always offer a variety of options for a variety of dietary needs.

images
My comments where not to be taken seriously.

Where's Bambi, I'm hungry.

Dear Prudence

images
I was a vegetarian for over 10 years, and it was because I didn't like meat. At the time, I didn't want meat substitute products, either. Now I have to eat meat products for medical reasons and I have grown to like eat products. Back then, I wouldn't have even eaten the substitutes or lookalike products.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom