Disney Parks Blog: Worth reading?

dreamfinder

They can provide a good view into what Disney itself thinks is important, and the direction they are heading. Obviously its usually all rainbows and sunshine, but you can see where their focus is overall. Most of the fan sites tend to get wrapped up in some areas while ignoring others, so it helps to balance it out. Take it all with a grain of salt.

Outside of that, the fan community. Frequently things that get posted on their blog end up leaking here days or weeks before they go official.

Sweet Melissa

I'm subscribed to it via Google Reader, so I get nearly instant updates. I have to admit that I skim it a lot of the time. The topics they cover are a little broader in scope than many of my favorite fan blogs, so it is a good place to get lots of varying information. I'm not a fan of all their writers, though, and I think their comments section has little value. (Good readership can really contribute to a great story, but that doesn't tend to happen with the Disney Parks Blog.)

MissM

I never remember to read it. But, when something very newsworthy is announced there, it's always posted here too so I don't feel like I'm missing vital info. :shrug:

I love the Disney Parks blog! Not because it's the best source, or anything, but because it combines my favorite place on earth with elements of the crafts I hope to pursue: journalism, social media, things like that.

It does provide some great reads, some great photos, and some great insight. Combined with the parks' Facebook pages and the YouTube channel, there's a lot of awesome to it all.

I got to meet Thomas Smith at a Youth Journalism event at Coronado Springs back in October and I-- nervously-- went up to interview him for a story and just chat for a bit, and he gave me a few Disney Parks Blog pins and stickers and what not. That only reinforced my Disney social media geekery.

wdwfan4ver

It is a good source for information once in a while since they do have the first scope in some stuff like information on Tutto Gusto Wine Cellar at times.

The thing is they do post information sometimes that is 1 or 2 days later then this site in some stuff such as the soft opening of Storybook Circus.

I rank the Disney Parks blog lower than this site for getting new information.

nemofinder22

The Parks Blog has some good stories, and often confirms a lot of rumors regarding minor events/changes and behind the scenes bits(ie. Cars Land construction, Be Our Guest mural).

The amount of news worthy stuff is often little though. And one can only stand to see so much of the "InsiderEARS" and the awful extra magical stories that go with them. Or a celebrity who just visited with the mandatory photo in the grass next to Cinderella Castle....

I know the focus on DLR and WDW with minor mentions of the international resorts but the new Disney Dreams! show at DLP or it's 20th is loads better than hearing about TRON City Dance Crew or the Avenge-o-rail.

SyracuseOrange

Original Poster
I have only followed for a couple months but I like a lot. I like the variety of topics.

Agreed. Unlike the poster above you who seems to just want a list of press releases, I think the variety of content (some of it being confirming rumors, business announcements) should include "softer" stories that are more intended to entertain than inform; and Disney certainly provides that.

lazyboy97o

I think a lot of it comes across as very forced. It is a corporate mouthpiece that tries to read as if it is being done by fans who just so happen to also have the blessing of the Company.

MarkTwain

It's as good a blog as you could expect from the Disney company, I think. It covers a nice blend of topics at the parks, nice photos, clever videos, etc. It always puts a very positive, PR-friendly bent on everything, but that's to be expected IMO. I check on it every now and then, if not with the frequency that I visit other places.

Since you asked, if you're looking for some good Disney-related blogs to supplement WDWmagic, here's my semi-daily reading:

Progress City, USA
The Disney Blog
Blue Sky Disney
Imagineering Disney
Cartoon Brew

nemofinder22

Agreed. Unlike the poster above you who seems to just want a list of press releases, I think the variety of content (some of it being confirming rumors, business announcements) should include "softer" stories that are more intended to entertain than inform; and Disney certainly provides that.

If I wanted press releases on the parks then I check these.

http://disneylandnews.com/
http://wdwnews.com/

Like I said they have some good stories "Every Role a Starring Role" is a FANTASTIC series. Something that they should expand to WDW. But a nice handful usually stand out(The upcoming window dedication for Alice Davis, merchandise(which I'm a fan of), the PAC CM who lost 60 pounds). My post history links to them quite a lot.

As for some other Disney blogs these are pretty good as are the ones mentioned by MarkTwain
http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/
http://gorillasdontblog.blogspot.com/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom