Disney Parks and The Movies In Them!

C.FERNIE

Original Poster
Hey All,

My Girlfriend and I are going to WDW next year but she has just about not seen any of the classic movies so I have made a list of ones that go with the parks and rides and was wondering if I missed any important ones?

Magic Kingdom:

Winnie The Pooh The Movie
Toy Story 1, 2 and 3
Monsters Inc
Lilo and Stitch
Alice in Wonderland (Old and New)
Dumbo
Cinderella
The Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast
Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs
Peter Pan
Pinocchio
Tangled
The Haunted Mansion
Swiss Family Robinson
Pirates of The Caribbean (All the movies)
Aladdin
The Country Bears

Epcot:
Finding Nemo
The Lion King
Mary Poppins
The Aristocrats
The Three Caballeros
The Ellen de Genres Show

Disney Studios:
Indiana Jones (All Movies)
Star Wars (All Movies)
The Muppet Movie
The Lady and The Tramp

Animal Kingdom:
Dinosaur
Finding Nemo

Others:
Bambi
Fantasia
Sleeping Beauty
The Jungle Book
Bedknobs and Broomsticks
Robin Hood

Disvillain63

MK:
Tom & Huck (Tom Sawyer Island)
Johnny Tremain (Liberty Square/Liberty Tree)
Princess and the Frog (Riverboat?)
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Sleepy Hollow)

Disvillain63

Epcot
Mars Needs Moms
Any of the Princess/Prince movies of the countries (most were listed under MK)

DHS
Tower of Terror
Fantasmic
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
Any of the movies in The Great Movie Ride
Toy Story (I know you have this for MK)
The Little Mermaid
Watch Disney Jr.

AK
The Lion King
Tarzan (Terk is available for Meet & Greet)
Bug's Life

***Cartoons with the Fab 5 and Friends

JIMINYCR

Never seen the classic movies??? How horrible, poor deprived child? Get started catching her up immediately. I've counted 54 movies between your list and including the others that have been suggested. Better get started watching this weekend... Oh and buy the extra large box of microwave popcorn and several cases of soda. You're going to need them. The good thing about it, is you will definitely build yourselves a great Disney DVD library.

ImagineerDude

That sounds INSANE. I really don't think you need to watch ALL of them to understand the parks, but Lion King, Cinderella, BatB, Little Mermaid, Toy Story, Princess Movies, Peter Pan, etc are must do's.

Thrill

You don't need to see any movies to enjoy the parks, in my opinion.

That said, just for the sake of watching good movies:
  • Just about everything Pixar (though feel free to skip Cars; I still have yet to see Cars 2 and Brave, so don't blame me if those aren't good)
  • The Lion King
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Pinocchio
  • Snow White
  • Fantasia
  • Mary Poppins
  • Star Wars (at least A New Hope and Empire Strikes back, though the other 4 are still decent movies)
  • Some short films, because why not
I tried to keep it as slim of a list as possible. That said, it's still about 20 movies. And ideally, you'd watch a whole bunch more of the animated movies (particularly Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Bambi, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, and Dumbo, but Walt Disney Animation is a lot like Pixar in that most of the movies are very good). Tangled is also supposed to be very good, but I'm a horrible person, so I still haven't seen that either.

If you want to use your list, drop Haunted Mansion and Country Bears are awful. Tower of Terror is also supposedly quite bad. Pirates movies are good, but you can probably do without the third one (it's over-long with a weird story and zero relevance in the ride). Actually, now that I'm thinking, the second one is no longer relevant either, and the fourth only matters for a couple of seconds. Also, skip Indiana Jones 4. I just saved you 7 movies that were listed. Throw in another four for Star Wars 1-3 and 6 (watch them eventually, but put them at a low priority).

Thrill

I agree that there is no need to see the films. The parks are not about them and if you can't understand an attraction without the film then it's not a very good attraction.

I think there are cases where seeing the movie enhances the experience. You get Star Tours without seeing Star Wars, but it's much cooler if you know C-3PO and what a Hoth is. Similarly, Twilight Zone watchers probably enjoy Tower of Terror more than other guests, because apparently they reference every episode of the show in the queue. ToT is still an incredible ride without watching the show (I would know), but I'm sure it's better for people who've seen it.

It's not necessary, but it's a nice touch. Like I said in my last post, watch the best movies for the sake of watching the best movies, not for the sake of getting the parks. Up shows up in a minor attraction and a music loop, but you should watch that before Lilo and Stitch or Three Caballeros or the Burton Alice in Wonderland.

Cmdr_Crimson

To be honest you don't even need to do anything...The rides that are based from the animated films are just abridged pointing to the more important scenes than the other parts of the film..

I also strongly recommend NOT seeing Country Bears, Pirates & Haunted Mansion because they were original park attractions before they became hollywood sell out films..

Thrill

To be honest you don't even need to do anything...The rides that are based from the animated films are just abridged pointing to the more important scenes than the other parts of the film..

I also strongly recommend NOT seeing Country Bears, Pirates & Haunted Mansion because they were original park attractions before they became hollywood sell out films..

The thing with Pirates is that the ride became a sell-out after the movies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom