News Disney Park Pass System announced for Walt Disney World theme park reservations

dreday3

Just to add... None of this changes the fact that, in order to experience the new attraction, you have to wake up early, which is the thing that people complain about the most. Waking up early will ALWAYS be an advantage, whether it's waking up to book something on your phone, waking up to go stand in a line, waking up to go get a paper FastPass ticket, waking up 60 days before your trip to book something from your computer, etc.

ETA: And to reiterate your point, once we're talking about 3 hour wait times, we're not just talking about what's efficient or convenient or fair. We're talking about basic human needs like food, drink, and bathrooms. The only people who want this are childless "Disney adults."

What the heck? We are happy, childless adults and were so before it became a millennial thing. I keep seeing this on here lately thrown about as some kind of insult.

We don't want a lottery. We want resort perks! We don't care about what's fair! :D

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
What the heck? We are happy, childless adults and were so before it became a millennial thing. I keep seeing this on here lately thrown about as some kind of insult.

We don't want a lottery. We want resort perks! We don't care about what's fair! :D
I'm saying:

"Everyone who wants 3-hour standby queues is a childless Disney adult," not;

"Everyone who is a childless Disney adult wants 3-hour standby queues."

dreday3

I'm saying:

I get it. I was just teasing because I've been seeing that phrase again lately. :)

I prefer the term "Childless Jet-Setting Adults" - we go to more places than Disney. 😄

Touchdown

Why is everyone talking about 3+ hour waits? I doubt Tron or GotG would ever get 3+ hour waits currently. At the height of the day on a busy day they would get above 2 hours, but there is no way with their higher capacity and higher height limits they would stretch to 3+ hours. For Tron there is simply too many other rides at MK for that to happen, and at Epcot, the way GotG can handle crowds is impressive, I would expect EE like waits most of the time. Tell me why it would be 3 hours? Rise, FoP and Frozen rarely get 3 hour waits.

Jrb1979

Express Pass is $90, minimum.

For a family of 4 for a week you're talking about $2,500 versus Genie+ at $500.

They're not even remotely comparable.
Price wise no it's not comparable but it is much simpler to use. The other difference is that it's priced that way to limit availability. When Genie+ first came out it was said that for Genie+ to work optimally it needs to be limited to 25% of the people a day. That's why Express pass works so well.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
And stop the with ridiculous 'three hours' hyperbole nonsense.
Rise of the Resistance has a 90 minute wait, right now, currently, in the middle of slow season. Rise of the Resistance is almost 4 years old.

But you're right, Cosmic Rewind would probably have a 45 minute wait if only we eliminated the scourge of the virtual queue.

I remember when the term was, "". (Double Income No Kids)
I'm a SITCOM.

Single-income, three children, oppressive mortgage.

Ayla

Rise of the Resistance has a 90 minute wait, right now, currently, in the middle of slow season. Rise of the Resistance is almost 4 years old.

But you're right, Cosmic Rewind would probably have a 45 minute wait if only we eliminated the scourge of the virtual queue.

I'm a SITCOM.

Single-income, three children, oppressive mortgage.
And? Ninety minutes is not 3 hours.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
And? Ninety minutes is not 3 hours.
It's FOUR YEARS OLD.

Without a virtual queue, Guardians and Tron would absolutely have 3 hour waits.

This is such a stupid argument anyways. If you had a crystal ball and could tell me with certainty that Guardians would "only" have a 2 hour wait, I wouldn't want to wait in that line either.

"Three hour wait" was never meant to be a precise calculation, it's just something someone threw out rhetorically to mean "really long line."

UNCgolf

I'm saying:

Which is still wrong, because that relies on the incorrect assumption that everyone wants to ride that ride, and wait in the 3 hour long queue (I can't think of any attraction I'd wait hours to ride). Instead they get a better park experience while other people are wasting time in the 3+ hour line.

The parks aren't designed to function as VQ only for the most popular attractions. It hurts park capacity and makes the experience worse for everybody.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be on Genie+/ILLs (which still create a problem, but it's almost necessary now with how underbuilt the parks are; I certainly wouldn't want to go and wait standby for every single attraction unless attendance cratered) -- just that having literally every single rider in a VQ is bad for the park experience. It only made sense for Rise because the ride wasn't reliable enough to operate consistently.

EDIT: I will say that I don't think it matters as much with TRON at the Magic Kingdom, both because the MK has a bunch of additional capacity compared to the other parks and because I don't think TRON is a major draw. I'm not sure it would be getting 3 hour lines even right now, but I'd be stunned if it could get them in 6-12 months.

Anyways, if you actually want to experience the whole park and aren't fixated on the single new attraction, you're going to have a better day if the big new attraction has thousands of people waiting in standby instead of wandering around waiting for their VQ time. I actually think the VQ makes things significantly worse for the infrequent visitor (unless they planned their trip solely for the new attraction).

Last edited:

Touchdown

It's FOUR YEARS OLD.

Without a virtual queue, Guardians and Tron would absolutely have 3 hour waits.

This is such a stupid argument anyways. If you had a crystal ball and could tell me with certainty that Guardians would "only" have a 2 hour wait, I wouldn't want to wait in that line either.
Rise is an inefficient dark ride that breaks down all the time. Tron and Guardians are roller coasters, and no Disney Roller Coaster has ever averaged a 3 hour wait. Guardians in particular has an insane ride capacity compared to most coasters. Look at the other parks in the area, Hagrids rarely gets 3 hour waits now, and that ride is inefficient and finicky.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom