News Disney Park Pass System announced for Walt Disney World theme park reservations

mikejs78

Premium Member
Yeah, 11 AM would be okay. I'd prefer no restriction at all, but it'd be hard to go to one park and hop to another by 11 AM anyways at WDW when considering transit time, unless you just tapped in and immediately left for the other park.

As long as after 11 you could go to any park without tapping in to your reserved park.

But seriously at minimum resort guests should not need reservations. That would be a nice perk.

Disney Analyst

For me it’s because I will come to FL to visit my parents. We’ll decide to go to Disney for a day trip and try to pick a day based on the weather that week, and then can’t because it’s sold out. This has happened several times.

Understood. I can see how that level of spontaneity would be frustrating to no longer have.

themerebear6453

In 2019 I went to all four parks in one day to ride all the big rides. We did FoP at rope drop, went straight to Hollywood Studios and did ToT, RnrC, and Slinky Dog, went to EPCOT for Soarin and Test Track, then spent the evening at Magic Kingdom for fireworks and the mountains. We did that because we could be spontaneous and planned it the night before. We used fast passes and waited in zero lines during the summer crowds. This would be nearly impossible today.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Two comments on this one quote from Josh:
1. Disney is not a pioneer in the area of park reservations. Pretty much all amusement/theme parks implemented a reservation system to be able to re-open in a covid-restricted era. Almost three years later, what parks besides Disney still have a reservation system?
2. Josh implies that if he was able to sit down with any guest who complains about the reservation system that he could convince them of the benefits. That might have been true if he could have shown how capacity control resulted in a better guest experience through shorter wait times. But, from all I have read, the guest experience has NOT improved with the park reservations system.
Ah yes good ol corporate folks who enforce things they never have to use or experience and pretend they get it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
In 2019 I went to all four parks in one day to ride all the big rides. We did FoP at rope drop, went straight to Hollywood Studios and did ToT, RnrC, and Slinky Dog, went to EPCOT for Soarin and Test Track, then spent the evening at Magic Kingdom for fireworks and the mountains. We did that because we could be spontaneous and planned it the night before. We used fast passes and waited in zero lines during the summer crowds. This would be nearly impossible today.
It’s actually impossible. 1000%

And that is Bob Iger. He decided to use the natural growth in travel over the last 20 years as a reason to increase prices and resell tickets in a block pricing system. Him. Not chapek.

The truth should have it’s day and frankly ALL days.

A big problem is some ardent defenders would tell you someone like “you can do it…you just get a VIP tour guide…”

Right…$4100 for a jockey to ride 42 year old big thunder mountain…
Especially if you’re loyal and have spent decades patronizing the parks - which is the backbone of all Disney park attendance and a segment they absolutely will never be able to turn profit without. It’s the foundation.

Right.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Comments from Josh D'Amaro on the reservations system from an interview with Robert Niles -

"Robert: But you also have to push for capacity, because you just talked about the the reservation issue. I feel, from observing this, that when people talk about or push back against the reservation issue, it's not necessarily [just about] getting the reservation. It's that the [parks'] capacity is not big enough to accommodate all the people who want reservations.

Josh: It's a guest experience issue. This all starts with guest experience, and having been in this business for as long as we have been, we know what constitutes a great guest experience. We know that there are certain attendance thresholds that can potentially deteriorate the experience. So the reservation system change that we've made is completely premised on wanting to deliver [you] the best experience I possibly can. And to do that, I'm asking my guests to make reservations, which is change. Change isn't easy, particularly for Disney, where everybody watches every single move that we make, and if you change something that's tradition, or the way that it's always been, it's hard.

Robert: Nostalgia is a big part of the branding.

Josh: It's a big part of it. So anytime we step into one of these areas, we know that there's going to be input, and we're going to take that input and listen, and we're going to react and adjust. But we will never sacrifice guest experience. I have these conversations with guests all the time in the theme parks - "Why do I have to make a reservation?" And the moment I sit down and talk to them about guest experience, and how we're continually trying to make that easier and more flexible, they completely get it and understand it. So we're going to keep pushing on that. If we're going to be pioneers, we're going to keep being pioneers to make that experience as great as it possibly can be.

Robert: I think that's an important point for a lot of people to understand - that it's not just necessarily what people are asking for, but what they intend. The classic example I always used from my days was when people would ask, 'What time is the three o'clock parade?' and I would tell them it's at 3:20 because that's when it got to where they were standing.

Josh: I love it.

Robert: You're just sussing that out. I think a big issue with the reservation program is that people are looking at it kind of superficially, 'I have to do this,' and they're not understanding, 'but I will get this in return.'

Josh: That's right. I think some of that's time. I think some of that is discussion. We see that changing right now. But we've always done this. We've always molded and adjusted with the intent always being the same: best stories in the world, best experiences in the world. And that will never never change

Robert: The situation in terms of capacity and demand is very different on the two coasts, obviously [now] with the change coming for the annual passholders in Florida.

Josh: Absolutely.

Robert: You look at California and I think the population is more than four times what it is in Central Florida. I'm assuming - I cannot get this information out of you but I will keep trying - that the number of annual pass holders in California is at least that much more than it is in Central Florida.

Josh: Well, I won't answer that question specifically, Robert, but what I will tell you is your premise is right. The businesses are so different - both the experiences that we're offering, the footprint of those experiences, [and] how guests visit, and so for each of them, we're looking specifically at how do we make sure that experience is as good as possible? So we'll manage things a little bit differently. We're going to try and make sure it's as simple as possible. We'll continue to evolve these experiences so that we can integrate things so it's very simple. You're just in the park, enjoying the things that are around you, and not worrying about things, etc. But yeah, they're very different. So we'll address the input a little bit differently as we move forward."

Here's the full interview talking about the operational changes made yesterday -

Tight pants is lying…completely.

But he can’t right? SEC would show up and throw him in Danbury Debtors Prison if he isn’t 100% truthful to the public…that’s what I hear?

The “oath of the name tag” 🙄

NotCalledBob

But he can’t right? SEC would show up and throw him in Danbury Debtors Prison if he isn’t 100% truthful to the public…that’s what I hear?

He pulled someone out the 4 hour FOP queue between Christmas and New Year.

After the chat, they rejoined the queue, with 230 minutes to go, full of the joys of the holidays. They totally understood why their park pass reservation was making their day more magical.

pdude81

I hate to be that guy (I’m lying 🤞🏻)…

But the absolute worst case scenario is Bobby recalculated and is eyeing another expedited exit.

Wha?
I’ll elaborate.
He’s sucks, he’s an egomaniac…but keeping him has its advantages. Notably stability and the appearance of “fixing it”
He’s gotta do something.

But what if now he’s in ego repair Mode and he simply wants to get SOME of the stock losses back to claim victory and depart?

And who would take over then?

Yep…cruella. And ego score for Bobby.

And they will be worse shape 2 years from now.

We’ll be holding our 2028 PML barbecue/mixer at the Comcast kiddie park…or the Carnival Victory
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

I think they call that, “knowing the softball questions in advance”. If anyone thinks this wasn’t set up and planned, you’re delusional.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I hate to be that guy (I’m lying 🤞🏻)…

But the absolute worst case scenario is Bobby recalculated and is eyeing another expedited exit.

Wha?
I’ll elaborate.
He’s sucks, he’s an egomaniac…but keeping him has its advantages. Notably stability and the appearance of “fixing it”
He’s gotta do something.

But what if now he’s in ego repair Mode and he simply wants to get SOME of the stock losses back to claim victory and depart?

And who would take over then?

Yep…cruella. And ego score for Bobby.

And they will be worse shape 2 years from now.

We’ll be holding our 2028 PML barbecue/mixer at the Comcast kiddie park…or the Carnival Victory
I stand corrected

A corporate raid with more of a chance of succeeding than in 1984 is worse.

I knew I’d get the egg on this one

Jambo Dad

Let me second this. I have been going there for a couple decades- and my son and I did that nearly every day. Once fastplus+ was in place we would time our entry to that park but would parkhop freely each day based on our desires. We would usually visit at least three parks plus downtown most days. Spontaneity was a cornerstone of all of our trips. Once in a while MK would close due to crowds but it was rare. How can it be so much worse now?

Purduevian

Didn't quite hit all 4, but this past October I did the following:
Rope drop Remy, then rode Figment, Soarin(LL), Nemo, Guardians (VQ), fiesta tour, Frozen (LL), Festival booth lunch, SSE (LL)
Hopped to AK around 2:30 for Safari (LL), FotLK(LL), Navi (LL), Everest x2 (single rider)
Hopped to DHS for MMRR (LL), RnRC (LL), ToT (LL)
Hopped back to EPCOT for some late night food booths and Harmonious.

A lot can still be done and this was before the modify feature

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom