Disney Outfitters store expanding with new construction at Disney's Animal Kingdom

doctornick

"Guests looking for attraction wait time information will need to use the My Disney Experience apps or website"

Many guests do not own smart phones or carry tablets or other devices into the parks. I wonder how this is going to go over?

I think the tip board is one of those things that if it is around, people might find it useful, but if it is not there, few people will really be bothered. It's not (generally) like folks double back to the tip board to check wait times before heading to a different part of the park.

My guess is that the majority of guests rely more on the posted times at ride entrances than a central tip board. I might be wrong.

Alektronic

Legend says that Joe Rohde did not want DAK to be like the other parks. Parades did not fit his vision, and therefore it was not a design consideration to incorporate them, infact, the design made it harder to incorporate a parade.

That's correct. DAK was never designed to have a parade, none of the pathways or audio zones were setup for a parade. But that didn't stop Entertainment trying to shoehorn that horrible "March of the Artimals" parade into the park and it didn't last very long.

DrewmanS

You do realize that as of December 2012 (From Pew Research)

Smartphone usage:
88% of 18-29yo (I would figure the "young parent" group would fit here)
61% of people who make between $50,000 and $75,000
81% of people who make $75,000 or more
58% of all adults had a smartphone

I am sure Disney is fully aware that 42% of people do not have a smart phone but how many of the 42% use the TIP board or would miss it?

Maybe 42% of adults don't have smart phones, but I would venture to guess that 90%+ of families attending Disney World have at least one person with a smart phone. My sister-in-law's family was recently in Orlando. They did not have the money to go to Disney World so my wife and Mother-in-law pitched in to get them all one day tickets. Between the 5 of them, the only one without a smart phone was their 3 year old.

Nmoody1

I'd like to see Disney introduce Disney Sea style entertainment where they have floats on the water (ie the water space in front of Everest or maybe better suited to world showcase lagoon). As sad as I am to see no parade, the park is not suited, it's a logistical nightmare trying to navigate with parades going around... What may be nice is maybe 1 float used to come like Universal does with sponge bob/Dora - that would allow for traffic flow and a nice bit of additional entertainment.

Rob562

I'd like to see Disney introduce Disney Sea style entertainment where they have floats on the water (ie the water space in front of Everest or maybe better suited to world showcase lagoon). As sad as I am to see no parade, the park is not suited, it's a logistical nightmare trying to navigate with parades going around... What may be nice is maybe 1 float used to come like Universal does with sponge bob/Dora - that would allow for traffic flow and a nice bit of additional entertainment.

Apparently you've missed all the "Rivers of Light" threads and conversation.... o_O

I think the tip board is one of those things that if it is around, people might find it useful, but if it is not there, few people will really be bothered. It's not (generally) like folks double back to the tip board to check wait times before heading to a different part of the park.

My guess is that the majority of guests rely more on the posted times at ride entrances than a central tip board. I might be wrong.

Exactly what I was about to post. I think the only park that I ever actively look at the tip board for is Epcot, and that's mostly because things like Soarin's entrance are such a long walk into the pavilion before you can see what the wait time is. And even with my phone and the MDE app I rarely looked up current wait times.

-Rob

Nmoody1

Apparently you've missed all the "Rivers of Light" threads and conversation.... o_O

Exactly what I was about to post. I think the only park that I ever actively look at the tip board for is Epcot, and that's mostly because things like Soarin's entrance are such a long walk into the pavilion before you can see what the wait time is. And even with my phone and the MDE app I rarely looked up current wait times.

-Rob

Its kind of hard to! :) sorry, should have clarified for daytime use!!

doctornick

I think we are taling about a daytime show, as opposed to Rivers of Light in the evening. My sense is that ROL will be more water screens/projections and a light show more than highly decorated barges (but that is yet to be determined). I also get the sense that it would be more stationary in the water like WoC. My thought would be to potentially have a boat "parade" with moving, highly decorated and colorful floats during the day in the same area of the Discovery River so you can utilize the ROL seating effectively in the daytime as well. Plus provide some kinetic element as people walk along the river.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Maybe 42% of adults don't have smart phones, but I would venture to guess that 90%+ of families attending Disney World have at least one person with a smart phone. My sister-in-law's family was recently in Orlando. They did not have the money to go to Disney World so my wife and Mother-in-law pitched in to get them all one day tickets. Between the 5 of them, the only one without a smart phone was their 3 year old.

I believe you are correct, I don't know a single family without at least one smartphone with the vast majority of even children that are 9-10 years old using smartphones that have been handed down.

RememberWhen

I'm not too fussed about not having the tip board, though I did find it useful. For the record though, I don't have a smart phone. My wife does, but only because work pays the data plan. I do have an iPod touch that I use to connect to the internet when there's wifi. Is the wifi doing better? It would be nice to have it, but we can survive without.

Next Big Thing

Oh, that's so nice. We permanently lose a parade just for construction work on a single store. Work that shouldn't take all that long, assuming it is again passable (?) after the expansion is completed.
I thought it was the Avatar construction that was going to make it difficult for the parade to run?

ToTBellHop

I believe you are correct, I don't know a single family without at least one smartphone with the vast majority of even children that are 9-10 years old using smartphones that have been handed down.
Now you do. No one in my family has a smart phone (though we have two tablets with access to the MDE app).

disney4life2008

This completely glossed over me - I had no idea the tip board was closed. Yet, they say use MDE or website? I have a windows phone design an app for us. I cant use the app on my phone nor can I use it on my android tablet. And when I try to use MDE on my windows phone the text is garbled and unreadable. While I never used the tip board - they need to put some MM+ billions into designing an all for windows users!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
When entering the parks, I think the tip boards are helpful for a quick overview of wait times, for the major attractions. However, since many people have mentioned they already own smart phones (I don't have one), it appears as though Disney may remove the boards in the near future. I know I'm in the minority here, but I wish they would still keep them.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The storage facilities are where they're gonna build. They were located behind CMM.

If Wikimapia is accurate then the Parade Storage then it really shouldn't be impacted by the Avatar construction.

parade.jpg

MarkTwain

Interesting that a building made to house the tip board (the fountain house) was a big part of DCA's new entrance, Buena Vista Street, and it's very heavily used over there. Often there's a small line just to see the tip board, and to speak to the mini-guest relations booth they have set up there. Kind of bizarre how differently these resorts are run.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom