Disney Officially Developing A ‘National Treasure’ Series and 3rd Movie

erasure fan1

Supposedly there will still be a 3rd movie, tied to previous movies. The series will be totally separate.
Yea I still see that as well. Unfortunately when a movie (or any entertainment thing) is in development for that long. It normally ends one of two ways. Canceled or a giant dumpster fire. This feels like it's Disneys way to get some content for D+, while using an ip with some following. They've dragged their feet so long on the movie, they probably feel this is the safest bet. I just don't have a lot of confidence that a NT3 sees the light of day.

DCBaker

Premium Member
2-episode premiere on December 14th -

FcMZsUsaAAEhb8d.jpeg

Vegas Disney Fan

I enjoyed the first 2 episodes but the third lost me, everything’s instant, they find a clue and solve it in about 10 seconds, they need a code they figure it out in 10 seconds, cryptic map… 10 seconds, mysterious audio… 10 seconds, Mysteriius location… 10 seconds, where’s the mystery? where’s the figuring it out?

I love these movies and really wanted to like this series but it feels like it’s meant for small children because there’s no thought required.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I enjoyed the first 2 episodes but the third lost me, everything’s instant, they find a clue and solve it in about 10 seconds, they need a code they figure it out in 10 seconds, cryptic map… 10 seconds, mysterious audio… 10 seconds, Mysteriius location… 10 seconds, where’s the mystery? where’s the figuring it out?

I love these movies and really wanted to like this series but it feels like it’s meant for small children because there’s no thought required.
I haven't watched it yet, but based on your description it sounds just like the movies. Ben solves a clue in a matter of minutes which leads to the next clue.

I'll hopefully watch it in the next couple days, but I expect similar to movies in terms of "mystery" puzzle solving.

Vegas Disney Fan

I haven't watched it yet, but based on your description it sounds just like the movies. Ben solves a clue in a matter of minutes which leads to the next clue.

I'll hopefully watch it in the next couple days, but I expect similar to movies in terms of "mystery" puzzle solving.
I guess that’s true, maybe it just seemed more realistic with an adult who’s been obsessed with treasure hunting his whole life and is a history nerd, along with a computer hacker and a historian, rather than a couple college kids who stumbled across a mystery a week ago and are suddenly linguists, puzzle solvers, and the tic tok kid is now hacking security systems, etc.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I guess that’s true, maybe it just seemed more realistic with an adult who’s been obsessed with treasure hunting his whole life and is a history nerd, along with a computer hacker and a historian, rather than a couple college kids who stumbled across a mystery a week ago and are suddenly linguists, puzzle solvers, and the tic tok kid is now hacking security systems, etc.
So I watched it last night and I enjoyed the first 3 episodes. I feel it is in the same vein as the movies. The first episode sets up the fact that these are not normal college kids, they are smart ones who love history and like to solve mysteries and puzzles.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Update on the third National Treasure movie -

"It's been 15 years since the last National Treasure movie, but in an exclusive interview with E! News, Jerry Bruckheimer teased that a third film starring Nicolas Cage as treasure hunter protector and cryptographer Gates is very much in development.

The mega-producer let the news slip while discussing the new National Treasure spinoff series National Treasure: Edge of History, which is now streaming on Disney+.

"We said we'd like to make another National Treasure and they said, ‘Sure, let's come up with a new cast,'" Bruckheimer said. "At the same time, we were developing National Treasure for the theaters with Nicolas Cage—which we still are. So, that's ongoing."

In 2018, screenwriter Jon Turteltaub told Collider that a script for a potential third film—a follow-up to 2004's National Treasure and its 2007 sequel, National Treasure: Book of Secrets—was finished, but that money was holding everything up.

Thankfully, all signs are pointing to some positive progress being made—just look at Edge of History, which features two characters from the franchise reprising their roles. In addition to Harvey Keitel returning as former FBI agent Peter Sadusky, Justin Bartha, who plays Ben Gates' BFF and partner Riley Poole pops up.

And he hints that the dynamic duo are still collaborating, noting, "Ben and I have been working on this super important thing for the last three, four, 15 years."

As for what that super important thing might be?

"Let's just say," Riley teases, "there's 47 reasons to be interested."

As National Treasure fans know, that's a direct reference to the second film, in which the President of the United States (Bruce Greenwood) tells Ben about a mysterious page 47 in the titular Book of Secrets, but its contents are never revealed to the audience."

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Update on the third National Treasure movie -

"It's been 15 years since the last National Treasure movie, but in an exclusive interview with E! News, Jerry Bruckheimer teased that a third film starring Nicolas Cage as treasure hunter protector and cryptographer Gates is very much in development.

The mega-producer let the news slip while discussing the new National Treasure spinoff series National Treasure: Edge of History, which is now streaming on Disney+.

"We said we'd like to make another National Treasure and they said, ‘Sure, let's come up with a new cast,'" Bruckheimer said. "At the same time, we were developing National Treasure for the theaters with Nicolas Cage—which we still are. So, that's ongoing."

In 2018, screenwriter Jon Turteltaub told Collider that a script for a potential third film—a follow-up to 2004's National Treasure and its 2007 sequel, National Treasure: Book of Secrets—was finished, but that money was holding everything up.

Thankfully, all signs are pointing to some positive progress being made—just look at Edge of History, which features two characters from the franchise reprising their roles. In addition to Harvey Keitel returning as former FBI agent Peter Sadusky, Justin Bartha, who plays Ben Gates' BFF and partner Riley Poole pops up.

And he hints that the dynamic duo are still collaborating, noting, "Ben and I have been working on this super important thing for the last three, four, 15 years."

As for what that super important thing might be?

"Let's just say," Riley teases, "there's 47 reasons to be interested."

As National Treasure fans know, that's a direct reference to the second film, in which the President of the United States (Bruce Greenwood) tells Ben about a mysterious page 47 in the titular Book of Secrets, but its contents are never revealed to the audience."

The secret page lists the number of ingredients in Schwarzwald Dry Gin.

Phicinfan

So I watched it last night and I enjoyed the first 3 episodes. I feel it is in the same vein as the movies. The first episode sets up the fact that these are not normal college kids, they are smart ones who love history and like to solve mysteries and puzzles.
Honestly, I was watching them one at a time, and really didn't like it, but just watched the first 3 back to back to back with my family and it flowed much better and was much more enjoyable. Or I picked up more than I did the first time watching. I am really starting to like this show.

kamnasrivastava

One of the few Disney Studios franchises that made money. Wonder what took them so long to make another in the franchise.
I'm a bit disappointed this is a series instead of a proper 3rd movie. I also don't like that there is no connection to the movies. Oh well, maybe it won't be terrible. I doubt it but there's always hoping.

Disney Analyst

I'm a bit disappointed this is a series instead of a proper 3rd movie. I also don't like that there is no connection to the movies. Oh well, maybe it won't be terrible. I doubt it but there's always hoping.

I mean, so far there has been a connection to the movies... Don't really want to give spoilers, but Justin Bartha was in the most recent episode.

Very much tying it in, in some ways, and certainly has a similar feel to the movies. I am really enjoying it.

Phroobar

It's not bad if you accept it as a teen WB type show. At least they don't put in music that has nothing to do with the time period like Willow does.

doctornick

So, we finally got around to finishing Edge of History. We had watched the first couple of episodes a few months ago and I kinda liked them, thought it was interesting. But as it went on, it became more of a drudgery IMHO. It became way too unbelievable- I mean, there’s always some suspension of disbelief but it got ridiculous in how they avoided being hurt or stopped. Even against a prison, armed enforcers, people with a lot more money and resources, etc. Hacking into the FBI computer system?

But the worse to me is the heavy handiness in terms of progressive ideals. It’s cool that they had a diverse cast and I actually think Jess being DACA and at risk for deportation was a decent story beat. But the “evil” folks all ended up being white (even the guy named Salazar) and their goal was to destroy the treasure to maintain the status quo? It just was a bit too much IMHO especially given how pro-Founding Fathers the original movies are.

Anyway, not really that interesting in a second season. But I still look forward to a third movie

DCBaker

Premium Member
Deadline is reporting Disney+ will not be moving forward with a second season of National Treasure: Edge of History.

"There will be no second season for National Treasure as Disney+ has opted not to renew the adventure series for a second season."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom