News Disney offers to pay union members at least $15 by 2021

Gringrinngghost

Original Poster
From Local6:
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - They've been negotiating for almost a year, but Disney and the unions that represent 38,000 of its workers could be making serious progress toward striking a deal on a wage increase.

The unions have been demanding a minimum wage of $15 an hour, and Disney is now offering to meet that demand by 2021.

But the unions said it's not a done deal yet, because Disney wants to re-negotiate other terms in their contract, such as overtime pay.

Unionized Disney employees huddled around a table into the evening, discussing the latest offer Disney presented Tuesday.

"The company has given us a proposal. They've given an offer today," said Angie McKinnon of Unite Here Local 737. "Our bargaining committee is reviewing it. At this time, we have no further comment."

Disney confirmed that it offered to pay the employees at least $15 per hour by 2021 and said it wants to re-negotiate certain terms in the contract as part of that offer.

"It's on the table, but we have to give certain things back to the company to enable us to get that money," said Bob Harris, a Walt Disney World bus driver.

Since last summer, unions have staged a number of boisterous demonstrations.

In December, members rejected Disney's offer of an annual 3 percent raise with a minimum of 50 cents per hour and a $200 ratification bonus.

Even though the company has upped the offer, union members aren't all ready to jump on the deal.

"The tax breaks are permanent. The company now knows the tax structure, the tax liability they have into the future," said Shawn Britton of Teamsters Local 385. "There's no reason why they cannot offer a really good raise."

The unions said no date has been set to return to the bargaining table to try to iron out their differences, and it's unknown if the unions will present the offer to their members for a vote.

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/disney-offers-to-pay-union-members-at-least-15-by-2021/742337642

mm52200

Union will most likely reject this contract because it basically rips out the heart and core of everything they’ve worked to get into the contract for years such as 6th and 7th day pay and various other benefits cast members currently get or are guaranteed when working.

the.dreamfinder

This is going to result in a rapid acceleration in automation investment. Look for every Disney QS dining location to be mobile phone or touch-screen based ordering by 2021.
I’d rather have the man hours and money in the kitchen and the ingredients anyway for QSR.

For walk ups, use a touch screen like Honeygrow and create menus for international guests which sync up to their native tongues via MB.

Last edited:

CJR

Personally, I wouldn't mind people making $15 an hour IF they got no OT. I'd rather Disney hire more people and have no need for OT. People working OT on a regular basis are likely to have a negative impact on guest experience. I view that (limited to no OT) as a good thing. Even if they replace the OT hours with technology, instead of additional employees, having well rested employees is a win for guests.

SpectroBro

In the Parks
Yes
I'm sorry, but putting aside the serious issues at play here, am I the only one amused at the fact that the source the reporter got a quote from was a bus driver? :joyfull:
Hahaha, the bus driver is correct. There would be ALOT of give from the cast in order to get to the 15.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
$15/hr in 2021 will be like minimum wage in relation to inflation. What a joke. The U.S. is seriously screwing with wage workers, costs go up, wages stay the same.
It's not the same people in those jobs though.

If Joe starts a $15 per hour job today, he's going to be getting merit increases and promotions in three or four years if he's anywhere near competent.

The person making $15 in 2021 isn't Joe anymore, it's the next generation of entry-level workers.

tissandtully

If Joe starts a $15 per hour job today, he's going to be getting merit increases and promotions in three or four years if he's anywhere near competent.

The person making $15 in 2021 isn't Joe anymore, it's the next generation of entry-level workers.
3% (which is standard merit raise) of $15.00 is 45 cents. Ohh boy, don't spend it all in one place.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
There are no merit raises.
Bull. I have cast member friends in every role from resort merchandise to animal keeper to guest relations to finance and accounting. There absolutely are. Every year, announced in the fall and effective January 1 of the following year.

3% (which is standard merit raise) of $15.00 is 45 cents. Ohh boy, don't spend it all in one place.
It's also the average cost of living increase. If you can get by on $15 in one year, you can get by on $15.45 the following year.

Driver

That's the problem "merit raises " for most CM's they don't exist, competent or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom