Disney Now OPEN Due To Playstation

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
While I can honestly say I haven't had the desire to visit the theme parks since the shutdown, I was for some reason inspired to revisit the classic Playstation WDW racing game. It turns 20 this year.

Screenshot_20200401-173034_ePSXe.jpg

That's right, 20 years ago this Mario Kart game set in Disney came out of nowhere and charmed us all! Despite its legendary annoying difficulty as cutesy characters ruthlessly pummeled you with acorns, the ridiculous charm and accurate feel of the classic attractions like Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain and the Dinosaur ride made for arguably one of the best Disney games ever made.

Now that you can't actually go to the parks in these immersive times, the game is finally fulfilling its destiny. I can think of nothing more immersive than giving you control of the ride cars! It's set in WDW, but some tracks resemble the DL versions more such as Pirates. Space Mountain has the DL music.

Screenshot_20200401-175744_ePSXe.jpg

Since it's 20 years old, the modern Imagineers and feminists haven't fully had their way with Pirates.

Screenshot_20200401-175651_ePSXe.jpg

Screenshot_20200401-175813_ePSXe.jpg

When next you sail, sail with Davy Jones! Double wrong version!

Screenshot_20200401-180120_ePSXe.jpg

Recognize this?

Screenshot_20200401-180017_ePSXe.jpg

You should recognize this scene despite the archaic lowres graphics.

Screenshot_20200401-180251_ePSXe.jpg
Screenshot_20200401-172154_ePSXe.jpg

They even included the ghosts coming out of the pictures shooting each other. How charming!

Screenshot_20200401-180704_ePSXe.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200401-175927_ePSXe.jpg
    Screenshot_20200401-175927_ePSXe.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 51

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I gotta admit...I thought about falling down the well of playing park management games...I still have the RCT final release somewhere...but I was thinking about getting one of the newer sims that were release a year or so ago. Any recommendations?

I love the Disney racing game - by the way. Thanks for triggering the memories. 👍🏻

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Planet Coaster has high reviews and is considered the successor to RCT and is made by the same company as RCT 1 and 2. However, I played it for 2 weeks and went back to RCT2 as I wanted something simpler.
Thanks for the tip.

See...I think I’m like you...I want the design controls, but I don’t want it 3D intense like I’m supposed to “be there” or have a real job doing the game. I’d rather design and watch the park go.

I wish the easy interface of RCT could be crossed with more flexibility to do designs.

SuddenStorm

Planet Coaster has high reviews and is considered the successor to RCT and is made by the same company as RCT 1 and 2. However, I played it for 2 weeks and went back to RCT2 as I wanted something simpler.

I absolutely love Planet Coaster but man is it tough to make aesthetically pleasing parks. I just don't have the time/willpower to design attractions that are actually good looking so my parks end up looking quite ugly.

Anjin

Disneyland Adventures is now on sale on Steam for $8.

Curious Constance

Disneyland Adventures is now on sale on Steam for $8.

Not sure if it still is, but it was free at one point for those that have Xbox game pass.

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
Well, after playing WDW Racing on and off for a few days, I managed to get 105% completion of the game.

Screenshot_20200403-124644_ePSXe.jpg

At one point, the game glitched and I got stuck in the Haunted Mansion.

Screenshot_20200403-125711_ePSXe.jpg

It's definitely a great Disney game and vehicular exploration is perfectly suited to a Disney theme park video game. Someone tweet Iger to remake, reboot and sequel this one.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Has anyone played Parkitect? Thoughts?

It’s described as a more modern version of RCT 1 and 2....those are my favorites along with Zoo Tycoon.

Don’t have the time or insomnia for RCT 3 anymore

SuddenStorm

It’s described as a more modern version of RCT 1 and 2....those are my favorites along with Zoo Tycoon.

I've heard good things, though I haven't played it.

Planet Coaster is the way to go, though it requires a level of creativity I don't have. They ripped off a variety of Disney designs so I imagine with enough time someone could do a really decent recreation of Disneyland in it.

George Lucas on a Bench

Original Poster
The game has many deceptive shortcuts that are either equidistant to the main routes or actually take longer. Strategically, it makes more sense to go through the portrait room rather than the fireplace because it contains items and you can get acorns to defend yourself against the ruthless enemy drivers.

CaptainTeo

I don't know if you're still looking (I'm very late, I know), but Parkitect is fantastic if you're looking for something more like RollerCoaster Tycoon. Planet Coaster is amazing as an extremely in-depth park designer, but Parkitect feels more like an RCT3 than RCT3 does. It does have a few annoying balancing problems in the campaign parks (I remember park rating not increasing until guests leave your park, so, if you get a park that requires you to have a high rating and you're good at retaining guests, you actively need to make guests leave your park or it won't increase), but, otherwise, it's basically RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 in full 3D, grid building format and all.

That being said, if you literally want RCT2, I'd recommend OpenRCT2. You need a copy of RCT2 to play it, but OpenRCT2 itself is free, otherwise. It's an open-source recreation of the original game with a huge amount of technical and quality of life improvements, and better support for modern computers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom