Disney negotiating the LOTR rights!

Jphaddad96

Original Poster
I was reading an article on a website talking about Saul Zaentz Co., that they were selling the rights of the The Lord of the Rings universe with a price of 2.000 million dollars and many sites were saying that Disney were leading the bid to get the rights of the novel. Also, I read that Disney wants Peter Jackson to be involve in all the series, theme park and movies that Disney wants to release in the future, like Avatar with James Cameron! Anyone knows something about this? and if this is true, what do you think Disney would do about it? 🧐

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I saw a website that had pictures of Bigfoot. Must be true.

Just kidding. In all seriousness, this would be great. But $2 million seems low. Unless you meant $200 million. That would seem more realistic.

I'd rather live in a world where Bigooft IS REAL and Disney DOES own the LOTR rights. Let's see how this pans out.

Kamikaze

It was SPECIFICALLY written into Tolkien's will that Disney cannot own the rights.

And Amazon literally just got the rights for using on their Prime series.

So no, this is BS.

ToTBellHop

It was SPECIFICALLY written into Tolkien's will that Disney cannot own the rights.

So no, this is BS.

No. This is legit. Movie and gaming rights are being sold off. Disney wants this for Disney+ (and surely more).

It’s $2 billion, by the way. It specifically includes theme park rights.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

So no, this is BS.

It was clear the Tolkien disliked Disney, but I can't find any source to back up the claim that it was written into his will.

Phicinfan

Honestly don't get the fit with Disney. I totally get wanting to hold movie rights and potential expansion of story on D+, but I don't see a good fit at all in the Parks. Unless this is the key to...... a 5th Gate? Which I don't think they ever want to do.

Seriously, this is a bit... I don't know .. Teen and young adult focused vs. Disney?

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Honestly don't get the fit with Disney. I totally get wanting to hold movie rights and potential expansion of story on D+, but I don't see a good fit at all in the Parks. Unless this is the key to...... a 5th Gate? Which I don't think they ever want to do.

Seriously, this is a bit... I don't know .. Teen and young adult focused vs. Disney?
I mean, they shoved Guardians in Epcot.

I could see this IP getting shoehorned in DS somehow.

mikejs78

Premium Member

I don't know where you get teen/young adult from LOTR. This isn't twilight. I would *love* an immersive middle earth and theme park experience of LOTR. And I'm 43.

sullyinMT

Fifth Gate Confirmed! Icon will naturally be Barad-dur, hosting Chapek's all seeing eye and searching for the lost IP to rule them all. The Frontierland Shooting Arcade will be moved and repurposed to an Elfish archery range or perhaps dwarvish Axe-throwing arena.

Naturally, I can't wait for the DCL synergy of Hobbit Day at Sea. Hairy feet contests to "compete" with Carnival's Hairy Chest party and natural overeating event tie-ins. Of course, the day ends with a visit from everybody's favorite wizard Gandalf, when he graces us with his fireworks spectacular!

-I think this could be a win for Disney, or whatever studio wins the bidding war. But I doubt current TDO brass would do the right things with such a franchise.

Robbiem

Some of the mythical aspects could fit in Animal Kingdom - they could resurrect the dragons tower as a hobbit ride for instance. The barrel ride down the river could work as well.

Personally I’m not a fan but I know the movies have big appeal with people And I think a middle earth area would bring something new to the parks if it was done right. After Star Wars and Harry Potter it’s probably the best IP left for world building in the parks

Maybe Disney will buy this to put Chapeks mark on things or to stop uni picking them up

ToTBellHop

I mean, they shoved Guardians in Epcot.

I could see this IP getting shoehorned in DS somehow.

Some of the mythical aspects could fit in Animal Kingdom - they could resurrect the dragons tower as a hobbit ride for instance. The barrel ride down the river could work as well.

Personally I’m not a fan but I know the movies have big appeal with people And I think a middle earth area would bring something new to the parks if it was done right. After Star Wars and Harry Potter it’s probably the best IP left for world building in the parks

Maybe Disney will buy this to put Chapeks mark on things or to stop uni picking them up
Both DHS and DAK could be fits. I’ll be more interested when they inevitably try to shoehorn it into DCA lol

“Because the Ents look a bit like Redwoods, we are excited to announce our new Soarin’ Over Middle Earth attraction!”

1646258871268.jpeg

doctornick

No. This is legit. Movie and gaming rights are being sold off. Disney wants this for Disney+ (and surely more).

It’s $2 billion, by the way. It specifically includes theme park rights.

I believe it could be real, but that seems like an insane price for Disney to pay for just for rights. Are they talking about getting full ownership of them (as opposed to just licensing)? Given the massive bucket of IP Disney already owns, it doesn't make much sense to me for them for them to spend anything in that range when they could use that money to just better develop properties they already have.

$2B could pay for a bunch of rides and TV/movies productions off of stuff they already own like Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom