Disney- MGM studios VS Universal Studios Florida

pjammer

Universal has a better selection of attractions than MGM does. Thats a fact. You can spend a whole lot more time at Universal doing interesting things than MGM. But MGM has a better atmosphere b/c its Disney. If I wanted just to ride rides then I would go to Universal but if I wanted to have a good time I would go to MGM.

Big Pooh

I for one love both parks and I'm glad they're both there. Competition is good for consumers, because it forces both places to keep improving just to keep up with the other one. Both places have good and bad points, with Disney getting the nod from me for atmosphere, and Universal winning out for quantity and variety of attractions. MGM could use more attractions overall and especially on the opposite side of the park from RnRC, ToT, and Fantasmic!. Universal needs a serious night-time show to end each day with. In the meantime, it's fun to watch all the new stuff being built and talking about the latest rumors.

Cheers :wave:

PS...all you people pulling up chairs and bringing popcorn and doritos, etc....save some for me. I've got the pixie dust...:animwink: :D :lol:

mr snrub

the difference between Universal and MGM is that MGM isn't a stand alone park (if that makes sense) One can't go to the disney property and just go there. MGM can just rely on the other parks.

Universal however, used to have to be able to attract people with nothing else but jsut the park (before IOA anyway) So they had to make it better. they had nothing to rely on.

by the way, what happened wth that whole MGM-studios/Disney studios thing? What is it now?

pjammer

Well technically its Disney's MGM Studios. All the buses that shuttle you there say Disney Studios. And if you work for Disney you are suppose to call it "The Studios" or "Disney Studios" not MGM. However, most people still call it MGM b/c its just easier to say. I'm not sure however if the rumor that MGM will not renew their upcoming contract is still true or not.

imagineer boy

Originally posted by Ballernymets
No Flaming just get peoples ideas on what makes a theme Park great. You can even talk about Disney Studios VS Disney- MGM studios if that would make more people happy! Come on Post :brick:

Uuh, do you know what happened the last time somone did a Disney vs. Universal thread? Wait until tomman617 ( I think that's his name. ) gets here! LOL! Sorry tomman, no offence. Sits with Dave and the other guys and waits for the sparks to fly. Hey guys, I've broght some corn chips and Dr. Pepper!:lol:

CSOM

I've only been to Universal once, and to me it seemed too corny. None of the rides were that great, they didn't entertain, etc. I haven't been back in some time, and I haven't been to IOA, so I'm probably not the best judge of this. It just seemed to me that the quality of the rides at Disney/MGM were better, the atmosphere to the park was much better. If I were going to go to another non-Disney Orlando area theme park again, I'd head back to SeaWorld personally....

NADisney

SEAWORLD!! , Now the fish are going to fly.

Disney - MGM Studios is well themed but limited with attractions, there are more shops then rides.You can also break up your day there( leave and come back to see Fantasmic !). There are also Three attractions that keep you in Line and Ride to keep you in the park for half the day:

1) The Great Movie Ride

2) The Animation Tour

3) The Backstage Tour

Disney does one thing better then Universal ,you see more characters and changing exhibits (only if they did one on "Pirates" and "Haunted Mansion " for the backlot - it would make since). But the studios does need more attractiona to keep you entertained for the day and not half.

Universal looks like a movie studio with more then one set to look at( New York, San Francisco, LA , Amitty) as well as more attraction based merchandise.The park is also better themed ,everything fits together not thrown together .

But this is my opinion and should not be taked very seriuosly :lol:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by pjammer
Well technically its Disney's MGM Studios. All the buses that shuttle you there say Disney Studios. And if you work for Disney you are suppose to call it "The Studios" or "Disney Studios" not MGM. However, most people still call it MGM b/c its just easier to say. I'm not sure however if the rumor that MGM will not renew their upcoming contract is still true or not.

The Disney buses say DISNEY MGM STUDIOS on them. :)

Mary Ellen

I have to go with Universal. Terminator, Men in Black, Twister, they are great attractions. I like MGM too, and Fantasmic is wonderful. We now split up our vacation time between Disney and Universal. And you can't be front of the line access when you stay at one of the Universal Hotels.

Ok, it took two glasses of wine to post this, pass the popcorn.:lol:

daniam2188

the only thing i want to say (and i bet this has been said before) is that the morning that i walked into USF i said to myself "wow this looks just like mgm"

DarkMeasures

Lets compare similiar rides.

Disney vs. Universal

Backlot Tour vs. Earthquake

Both tours show basically the same thing but the Disney version you get to sit a lot more and it does not feel like being herded like cattle.

Star Tours vs. Back to the Future

Good rides but BttF is more intense and actually rising from the room you start in is cool. Too bad that Space whips BttF to death by far.

Muppets Vs. Terminator

Both really fun. I say a tie. (I did not go on Shrek last time I was there)

I did not see Universal's stunt show so I can't say anything about that.

Other rides:

Disney:
Tot- The new ride system rocks
RnRC- My favorite rollercoaster. Beats Hulk in my book.
Drew Carey- Very Very fun.
Fantasmic- Very good show
Great Movie Ride- Needs a rehab with actual improvements.

Universal:
Men in Black- Very good ride.
Twister- Very bad ride.
ET- Seems like what Peter Pan would be like if rebuilt.

Results:

Disney Pwns Universal

Justin St

Universal by far has a better entrance then MGM, and alot of people will call me crazy, but They havemore for kids to do too. MGM seems more like a Adult park. MGM is also very difficult to get around in, alot of the Walkways don't connect and Sunset Blvd. is a total Bottle Neck. MGM does have one the best ride ever created and thats Tower of Terror.

Koda-bear

I think MGM does have the upper hand for kids...
think about it...
Little Mermaid...
Playhouse Disney...
Planet Pizza...
HISTK play ground...
Muppet 3-D
some shows...
I can't remember what universal had for kids...although with the new Jimmy Neutron ride and Shrek 4-D...they may soon have the upper hand?

As for shows...I'd say its even...
I love the terminator show...definatley more interactive than mupets...
The Beattle juice song show was great...
As for the Earth-quake and BLT comparison...I'd say Earth-quake wins, as it is much more interactive and entertaining...although BLT has its good times as well...
MIB and BTTF are great...BTTF has the advantage on star tours...seems to be a little more realistic...maybe not though...MIB is great too...very entertaining!
Jaws is an oldie but goodie...its kinda like the JC..you just keep going back..even though you know whats goin to hapopen every time...lol
Twister is somewhat boring...and Drew Carey wins out on that...hands down...

MGM has ToT and RRC which are big thrills...plus the parade and fantasmic....

I think the fact that MGM has the parade and evening show puts them a leader in this game...they go the extra step....something universal should consider doing...

Mission: SPACE

Originally posted by DISNEYRULES!!!
I found something horrifying when I went into Twister a few days ago. When you enter the second room, there is a car sticking though the roof. One of the wheels spins on the the car as if it had just crashed. Well while it was going around I saw something flying around on it. When the wheel stopped spinning, it clearly turned out to be a Mickey Mouse ear hat. I kind of found it humorous in a way as well. O well.

You think this is bad?!? You obviously haven't experienced Shrek 4-D yet... plenty of Disney puns here... try the three little pigs, the magic mirror, Pinnochio (including a comment about telling their friends down the street where he is :eek: ), Tinkerbell, etc, etc, etc... I could go on, but I'm afraid I would use up the entire site naming puns...

I'm not a big Universal fan... especially since they started the 'Pixie Dust and Fairy Tales not your thing?' campaigns...

General Grizz

I'm not going into my thoughts about Universal Studios...but when it comes to making fun of Disney (Shrek, Jaws, MIB), I find it extremely weaking to the park itself...

Sherm00

i think both parks are good in there own way. i am not going to compare IOA side of universal. I think universal makes you feel more into the movies, where MGM makes you feel more behind the sceens of the movies. universal has some really good rides, but i thought most of the universal rides were really really short compared to disney rides. we waited 40 minutes on MIB ride and the ride was only 3 minutes long. twister you walked in they did there thing you walked out, neat but really short. waited 20 minutes to ride earthquake for a minute ride. I like the horor makeup show that was really neat. MGM makes you feel more behind the scenes, like new york street for example, you walk down it thinking int's a real street, and discover it's only a facade. and you can see the beams and stuff if you walk behind it. the sci fi diner you walk in back stage then on stage. which i think is really neat. and the comacery like you right in a studio. it's little details like that that sets MGM apart from universal. though both parks have there own unique aspects.

magic kingdom

Hey i dont know if its true or not but i heard that inside the Jerrasic Park right before the drop there is a car that is over-turned or something like that and that right next to it, there are a few things that looked like they came from the car. in the little puddle next to it is supposedly a mickey ears hat!:eek: Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom