Disney- MGM studios VS Universal Studios Florida

Gucci65

I would have to choose MGM as being the better park. US has some interesting rides (my fav show is Terminator). BUT I cannot stand the way they pick on Disney. We went to IOA last December and my daughter was wearing a Mickey Mouse sweatshirt and when we came thru the gates, security guards came up to her and told her that she couldn't wear a sweatshirt with a rat on it. We laughed about it and walked away. We endured comments the rest of the day until my Dad finally told someone that Universal wouldn't even be on the map if Disney hadn't opened their park first!!!! This started a huge 20 min discussion..........

Universal people are rude.

surfsupdon

I used to love Universal much more than MGM way "back in the day" but no more. MGM turned itself around and the attractions at Universal now all seem to be shows, not literal rides.

I do, however, like the theming at Universal better, Manhatten, San Fran, and all the other stuff.

But the Hollywood of yesteryear is phenomenal at MGM.

MGM is better.

DarkMeasures

Oh. Annual Passes are definitly not worth it at Universal. I spent a day at both parks and I was able to complete everything minus a few shows. I don't really care for shows at all unless it requires waiting 2 hours before it opens to see it.

Anyway, my annual pass went to waist but at least 2 weeks ago I rode everything at IoA.
--
Another thing I distress about Universal is that it is made where you are supposed to be in the movie. I enjoy the backstage approach much much more that is used by MGM.

tomman710

I think Universal is a total waste of space. It is a bunch of poorly designed, poorly themed, Disney rip off Rides. Not to mention the attention to detail and cusomter support is very sub-par there. Disney has the advantage in every single way imaginable.

Natelox

well said tomman710. The only reason anyone goes to Orlando is because of WDW, and without it, universal wouldn't have gotten off the ground, so don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Now, as for the comparison. MGM wins, it is a much nicer park, the shows are amazing such as Indiana Jones and Fantasmic (and now the stunt show). It has thrill rides (Tower Of Terror and Rockin' Roller Coaster) and it has rides that take you into the movies (great movie rides and who wants to be a millionair (not a movie, i know, but u get the idea). It also has backstage tours.

Ballernymets

Original Poster
I think that if Disney-MGM Studios was a stand alone park there would have been no way it would do better ( Money) then Universal. Universal really takes chances and trys to do new things. Disney doesn't really do that that much anymore ( aka DCA). It shows something when a theme park can pull people away from a theme park empire ( Disney) and do that well with a park that has the same theme as MGM. Big props to Universal!:)

tomman710

Originally posted by Ballernymets
Universal really takes chances and trys to do new things. Disney doesn't really do that that much anymore ( aka DCA).

Uh ... are you kidding me? Disney is trying many new things, just to name a few the Car Stunt Show, Mission:Space, Expedition Everest. Mission:Space is leagues ahead of anything in Universal in regards to technology and ride experience. Disney has many news things planned for the coming years, so I have to disagree with you that Disney doesn't try new things.

I also have to disagree that Universal does try new things. I don't think they have tried anything new. When was the last time you remember Universal opening up some big innovative attraction. Ummm ... Shrek is there new thing but it's another 4-D movie that Disney has already perfected and is getting ready to take to the next level with Mickey's PhilharMagic which will blow Shrek away. All of their recent rides and attractions have been complete Disney rip offs. MIB is a lamer Buzz Lightyear for an example. The only attraction they have that isn't a Disney rip off is Twister and it blows, literally and figuratively. I think Universal is as unoriginal as they come.

DigitalDisney

Oh wow. Here we go....

One thing to consider here is that USF started out as one single park dedicated to the movies, whereas MGM was part of the Walt Disney World empire so it had something to feed off of.

If you compare the original incarnations of the two parks, USF beat out MGM, hands down. You want to know why? It's because USF had to put out a better product to attract attention. This is simple economics, folks.

MGM had virtually nothing in the way of rides when it first opened. It was basically a couple shows, a couple tours, and the Great Movie Ride. USF, in comparison, had Kongfrontation, Earthquake, JAWS, ET Adventure, Hanna Barbera, plus all the shows and other stuff. There were some technology issues with USF when it first opened, but all parks experience that to some degree.

Since then, both parks have evolved considerably and both are forces to be reckoned with. They have multi-million dollar rides that continue to bring in the masses. They have experiences that have become cultural icons to our generation and to generations to come. (BTTF and TOT, anyone?)

Many Disney fans will deny this statement, but Universal is very similar to Disney in many ways. Both are light-years ahead of the competition. Both groups of parks are heavily themed, with top-notch thrill rides, family experiences, and great live shows. You can't say that about Six Flags or your local amusement park, can you?

If I were to pick between the two parks right now, I would lean towards favoring USF over MGM. While I prefer the Disney experience and Disney attitude, I also prefer the thrills that Universal has to offer (Having Islands of Adventure, the best theme park in the universe, next door certainly helps too:) ). Universal gives me amazing rides while still providing the theming and ambience that I also crave. The only thing that Universal really needs to improve on are the employees, who leave much to be desired.

FigmentJedi

Adventureland is desperate to theme attractions in the western area.There is a small ferris wheel with covered wagons,but they do have a rollercoaster.

cuteypatooty78

Originally posted by Tahu
Adventureland is desperate to theme attractions in the western area.There is a small ferris wheel with covered wagons,but they do have a rollercoaster.

Why did Universal close down the King Kong ride?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom