Disney MGM Rumors

MouseRight

Original Poster
Just got back from DW. I spoke to a Manager at Disney/MGM. He said the latest news is that "MGM" is not going to be removed from the studios.

He also said that the new Sorcerer's Hat Icon will slowly replace the water tower in all logos, clothes, etc., etc. I asked him how they were going to reconcile that the hat blocks the Chinese theatre. His answer was vague - "They have a plan"

Disney Maniac

Why would they replace the water tower as the park's icon? I mean, the sorcerer's hat is almost always associated with Mickey and/or Fantasia, and the water tower is symbollic of the many water towers that dotted the landscape during the Hollywood heyday that they try to portray at MGM. I think its ludicrous that they are going to switch the park's symbol, but if that's the case, then I gotta grab me some Studios merchandise featuring the Water Tower before it happens!:( :(

Yes, I was told the same thing about the park icon by a CM back in May. Who wants a hat(even Sorcerer Mickey's) as an icon for a theme park? I agree that the earful tower represents the Hollywood-Movie Studios theme. It shouldn't be replaced---especially by a hat! :mad:

markymark

I actually like the sorcerer hat, but I don't think it should be used as the park icon - sure it's going to look good, but I don't think that you can beat the water tower. It always has been, and always should be the parks icon

Disneynut

The only reason i can think for making the sorcerer hat the park icon is that MGM is the only park where the icon is not the focal point. e.g. Castle at MK or Tree of Life at AK. They need something to draw people's focus and personally I think they should have made Mann's Chinese Theater the icon.

disneydisney

You said you asked him how they were going to reconcile that the hat blocks the Chinese theatre. His answer was vague - "They have a plan"

I wonder what that that plan is?

scan_man

I know this is a strange idea, but what about putting the Hat on the Water tower?
The Problem with trying to use the Mans Theater as the Icon would be the Licencing agreement with the Actual Manns Theater in Hollywood CA. it's one thing to get promission to build a likeness, but I bet it would be harder for them to get Promission to put it as the Icon for the Theme Park. Though I like the idea if they could for the Theater Replica being the Icon for the Park, it's what you see once you enter the Park.

Brett

I always thought the Earful Tower was great as the parks icon, I guess Disney thinks differently. I'm also kind of angry that the new hat is blocking the Chinese Theater.

Moonjoe

While I am sure that there are other reasons for the new Hat to be the Disney-MGM Studios Icon, I think the two biggest are
1. The Water Tank is not the focal point of the park.

2. MONEY! I am quite sure that because the words MGM appear on the water tank, any time disney prints it and sells it, MGM will take its fare share. Now that diseny has its own original design, it will keep all proceeds from souviner sales.

-Joe

Disney Maniac

It's one thing to change a park's icon, it's a completely different thing to totally destroy it and get rid of it.

I agree, the new sorcerer's hat does block the view of the theater. There go a whole lot of photo oppurtunities for people!:(

JAY-ROD

Originally posted by Daannzzz
Perhaps the new hat was built because the water tower might not be there anymore!!!!

or perhaps the hat is built because they might be redueing the chiense theater

LaffnStock

When MGM is finally gone, so will a lot of the scenes in the GMR. No Tarzan. No Busby Berkley. No Wizard of Oz. No Alien. Very little will actually be left! So the hat is clearly to take the focus from when people enter the park. People can't go, "Oh let's go in the Chinese Theater if they can't see it!

Disney wants to do something new and spectacular with the building, since it is huge, but the last idea went kaput. Plus you know Disney takes forever to make up its mind about ANYTHING. When they do reopen the Theater, the hat is going bye-bye. So I can't understand why they are turning it into the park's "icon." (As far as I'm concerned, ToT became the park icon when it opened! But they already sell shirts with that on it!) Unless they plan on moving it later.

Then again it could all be just a ploy to sell out the current stock of water tower souvenirs. Then when the hat leaves they can sell out all those! Nothing sells like something that might become a collectible!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom