Disney may lose its right to build a nuclear power station

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
That is nuclear weapon stuff there, not nuclear power plants. Nuke weapons are a different subject altogether as well as the waste generated by that process.
Correct. I just scanned it and saw Los Alamos. Did some contract work at Sandia years ago. Learned how to ski at Pajarito. I was a post-doc at UNM at the time.

PorterRedkey

Also in the case of WIPP the dose equivalent release was 1 millrem per year well below the limit of 10 per year. Once again nobody was killed or hurt from this. Just driving your car is more dangerous. Even taking into account Fukushima and Chernobyl.
But it cost 2 billion for a single leaking drum. Cost like these also need to be considered when pricing the efficiency of nuclear energy.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I am in the industry and we study this incident every year in our training. The fact is everything that could go wrong just about did and yet still nobody was killed or injured. Now from the lessons learned there are even more systems and policies in place that mitigate or eliminate all that went wrong there. Luck really had nothing to do with it. They didnt do anything right and still you could have been standing at the gate and not get one millirem of exposure. Heck smokers get more dose than I do working at a plant.
Key words: "just about." Thank God someone finally realized what had happened, but the report gets very sketchy when you start looking for that "aha!" moment when the control team realized what was actually happening and turned the pumps back on.

Again, I'm not anti-nuke, I just don't think it's a good idea to gloss over operating errors that lead to partial melt-downs.

jt04

South Korea and the U.S. working to perfect factory built small reactors that can't suffer melt down due to size of the core. They can be delivered by truck or rail and the goal I think is to have them be about 150 MW of generating capacity. No greenhouse gases. Runs 24/7.

Perfect.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
South Korea and the U.S. working to perfect factory built small reactors that can't suffer melt down due to size of the core. They can be delivered by truck or rail and the goal I think is to have them be about 150 MW of generating capacity. No greenhouse gases. Runs 24/7.

Perfect.

Doesn't really matter how safe it is, when people hear nuclear they will be resistant to it. There are a number of safer reactor designs, but the public perception of nuclear power impedes their development.

Lensman

Doesn't really matter how safe it is, when people hear nuclear they will be resistant to it. There are a number of safer reactor designs, but the public perception of nuclear power impedes their development.
I think that's unfortunate.

The other problem that nuclear has is financial competitiveness.

Are you thinking of a small sodium-cooled fast reactor or a more traditional technology small modular reactor?

s8film40

Disney doesn’t really have the right to build a nuclear power plant. All nuclear power plants have to be approved by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. All this piece of legislation really means is that as far as Florida is concerned they can build one on the property, but that doesn’t give them any authority or permission to build one. It’s an outdated and useless piece of legislation and removing it is probably equally useless.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Disney doesn’t really have the right to build a nuclear power plant. All nuclear power plants have to be approved by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. All this piece of legislation really means is that as far as Florida is concerned they can build one on the property, but that doesn’t give them any authority or permission to build one. It’s an outdated and useless piece of legislation and removing it is probably equally useless.

Useless bureaucracy? Surely you jest. Our government is a well oiled machine.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Didn’t Trump tweet that he wanted to approve coal mining in Florida?
Actually, the administration said they'd like to open up the offshore lease program again, off both coasts of Florida... more and cheaper oil and natural gas would lower the pressure on anyone to build a new nuclear power station.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom