Disney may buy Warner Bros Discovery after it merges this month?

is Disney is gonna buy Warner Bros Discovery?

• Yes

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 88.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 5.7%

• Total voters

Ripken10

Two of WB’s biggest IPs are DC comics and animated characters (Scooby Doo, Looney Toons) which are IPs that really aren’t needed by Disney. Discovery is the closest thing to a competitor for National Geo. I just don’t see how it would make sense for Disney to purchase this company.
I thought there was stipulations in the Marvel contract with Disney that prevents any attempt to purchase anything related to DC comics?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I thought there was stipulations in the Marvel contract with Disney that prevents any attempt to purchase anything related to DC comics?
Not that I'm aware of, Disney already tried back in 2016 to buy TimeWarner before AT&T and after they had already bought Marvel. So had it gone through Disney would have had both Marvel and DC. So I doubt any stipulation existed. And in the end Disney got 21st Century which was a better deal in my opinion.

doctornick

I doubt there’s any stipulation but were Disney to but WB Discovery, they would almost certainly be required to divest DC to be approved by the Feds.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I doubt there’s any stipulation but were Disney to but WB Discovery, they would almost certainly be required to divest DC to be approved by the Feds.
I don't know what threshold the FTC would use regarding comics, but certainly at this point with so many independents out there there wouldn't be a monopoly with having Marvel and DC under the same roof.

Any resistance to any future deal would be more on the Studio side anyways I would think.

Anyways, as I've said it probably won't even happen so this is all a moot point anyways.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru

It's offically now as Warner Bros. Discovery now. Now it needs to be brought by Disney (possible more likely), Apple or Amazon in near future. So what you'll think about it now guys?

No they dont. Disney doesnt need to buy every company in existence.

Twilight_Roxas

Not that I'm aware of, Disney already tried back in 2016 to buy TimeWarner before AT&T and after they had already bought Marvel. So had it gone through Disney would have had both Marvel and DC. So I doubt any stipulation existed. And in the end Disney got 21st Century which was a better deal in my opinion.
You’re thinking of Universal.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You’re thinking of Universal.
No I'm not, Iger tried to get TimeWarner right before the AT&T deal with TimeWarner was completed but it was too late -

DisneyFan32

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
No I'm not, Iger tried to get TimeWarner right before the AT&T deal with TimeWarner was completed but it was too late -

At LEAST Disney could try again to buy Warner Bros Discovery soon.

mf1972

6FFC9541-0463-4B20-8CCA-FF8BAA9F7F34.jpeg

you never know…

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If Disney does get Warner Bros Discovery most likely the current comic writers would create a crisis that would merge both DC & Marvel multiverses.
They've already had cross-overs, so not a big deal there. And we're already heading into the Multiverse in the MCU so why can't there be a DC universe that gets brought over into the the main Earth-199999 timeline.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The antitrust concerns with Disney buying Warner Bros. would be staggering. It still doesn't sit well with me that Disney bought Fox. No studio should have that much control over the film industry. This is the last thing we should be asking for.
I don't have an issue with Fox as it brought back the rights to several important Marvel properties. But trying to acquire WB Discovery now at this point would just be a bridge too far in my opinion.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Sorry but it appears that WB Discovery is not going to be up for sale anytime soon:

This article is a couple days old now, but they are installing new leadership which indicates they plan on making the company competitive and not just to sell it.

So don't expect WB Discovery to be bought by anyone anytime soon.

DisneyFan32

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Sorry but it appears that WB Discovery is not going to be up for sale anytime soon:

This article is a couple days old now, but they are installing new leadership which indicates they plan on making the company competitive and not just to sell it.

So don't expect WB Discovery to be bought by anyone anytime soon.
I'll do new topic thread for poll for buying WB Discovery in the future now...:cool:

DisneyFan32

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I just have to ask, why are you so invested in having WB Discovery be bought by Disney, or anyone for that matter?

Why can't it remain its own company that competes with Disney and other studios like WB has done for 100 years.
Because I want Disney to have to own both Marvel and DC Comics together as Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny becomes best friends.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom