Disney may buy Warner Bros Discovery after it merges this month?

is Disney is gonna buy Warner Bros Discovery?

• Yes

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 88.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 5.7%

• Total voters

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No.

If you read the article - it explains who would be best suited to acquire Warner - those conglomerates with more simple shareholder structure with a “family” with a clear controlling interest.

That’s not Disney.

But if someone wanted to make a big splash for content…there’s really a clearcut choice there:

1651763102897.png

Though it would be amusing…Disney buying more theme park licensing contracts for competitors parks as they are more or less a deer in the headlights on how to expand/modernize their own 😂

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's bad enough that Disney has ABC News Division, buying WB Discovery would add CNN. With Disney's PR problem, I really don't think they need this problem also.
I agree that it’s a bad idea…

However your reason is not a good one. What makes you think either abc or cnn is a PR problem? Lagging ratings vs cost? Maybe…but what “PR” problem is there?

Also…when was the last time you hit the “channel” button on your remote?

heapster411

However your reason is not a good one. What makes you think either abc or cnn is a PR problem? Lagging ratings vs cost? Maybe…but what “PR” problem is there?

Also…when was the last time you hit the “channel” button on your remote? CNN declining in viewership, plus with instead of news, it's more opinion. If you watch ANY of the alphabet networks ( fox included), they lean one way or the other, no middle ground reporting. At one time, (I am old as dirt) , the reporting was ; who, what, when and where, and why. Now it is all that plus, how they feel. As a PR problem, it is two fold, with NO middle ground in reporting, plus basically calling half your audience extremist, HOW is Disney going to say that they are non political, when their news organizations are bias in their reporting. As for "hitting the channel button" no need to, for I read all types of news print and make decisions of my own deductive reasoning. Facts can be found if you read or listen between the lines. Lately it's not what is said , but what is not said. Remember CNN had a reporter standing in front of burning buildings, saying it's a "mostly peaceful" riot! Is that the image that Disney wants to be associated with?

Also…when was the last time you hit the “channel” button on your remote?
CNN declining in viewership, plus with instead of news, it's more opinion, than news. If you watch ANY of the alphabet networks ( Fox included), they lean one way or the other, no middle ground reporting. At one time, (I am old as dirt) , the reporting was ; who, what, when, where, and why. Now it is all that plus, how they feel, why should we be interested in how the reporter feels? As a PR problem, it is two fold, with NO middle ground in reporting, plus basically calling half your audience extremist, HOW is Disney going to say that they are non political, when their news organizations are bias in their reporting. Once a person gets "labeled" by a person or network, they tend to not forget. Remember being called " Deplorables"? As for "hitting the channel button" no need to, for I read all types of news print and research topics to make decisions with my own deductive reasoning. Facts can be found if you read or listen between the lines. Lately it's not what is said , but what is not said. Remember CNN had a reporter standing in front of burning buildings, saying it's a "mostly peaceful" protest! Is that the image that Disney wants to be associated with?

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
CNN declining in viewership, plus with instead of news, it's more opinion, than news. If you watch ANY of the alphabet networks ( Fox included), they lean one way or the other, no middle ground reporting. At one time, (I am old as dirt) , the reporting was ; who, what, when, where, and why. Now it is all that plus, how they feel, why should we be interested in how the reporter feels? As a PR problem, it is two fold, with NO middle ground in reporting, plus basically calling half your audience extremist, HOW is Disney going to say that they are non political, when their news organizations are bias in their reporting. Once a person gets "labeled" by a person or network, they tend to not forget. Remember being called " Deplorables"? As for "hitting the channel button" no need to, for I read all types of news print and research topics to make decisions with my own deductive reasoning. Facts can be found if you read or listen between the lines. Lately it's not what is said , but what is not said. Remember CNN had a reporter standing in front of burning buildings, saying it's a "mostly peaceful" protest! Is that the image that Disney wants to be associated with?
ok…but declining ratings and tilted pundit shows is not a “PR” problem…different kind of problem

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Disney Parks are selling Harry Potter merchandise now. Maybe Disney will buy WB after all.

Don't get too excited here, its only some decks of playing cards produced by the same company that produces the Marvel and Star Wars decks also sold at the Park.

So I wouldn't read anything into this. This is not a smoking gun that Disney is buying WB-Discovery.

Also as has been said many times before, its very unlikely that any merger between Disney and WB-Discovery will be approved by governments around the world.

DisneyFan32

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Don't get too excited here, its only some decks of playing cards produced by the same company that produces the Marvel and Star Wars decks also sold at the Park.

So I wouldn't read anything into this. This is not a smoking gun that Disney is buying WB-Discovery.

Also as has been said many times before, its very unlikely that any merger between Disney and WB-Discovery will be approved by governments around the world.

Nope. This IS GETTING WORSE, If HBO Max removes all contents like movies too. Then NEXT summer, when HBO Max and Discovery+ will get merge into a new streaming service then no more movies and tv shows, just reality shows as possible. This new CEO needs TO GO and get fired. I hope Disney or Amazon will buy Warner Bros. Discovery as Discovery leaves Warner Bros.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Nope. This IS GETTING WORSE, If HBO Max removes all contents like movies too. Then NEXT summer, when HBO Max and Discovery+ will get merge into a new streaming service then no more movies and tv shows, just reality shows as possible. This new CEO needs TO GO and get fired. I hope Disney or Amazon will buy Warner Bros. Discovery as Discovery leaves Warner Bros.
First its been expected that a majority of content being removed (those still under license to WB-Discovery) will be brought back under the merged HBO Max/Discovery+ app that will launch next year.

Second its unlikely this CEO will go anywhere anytime soon.

Third as has been said now many times Disney is unlikely to buy WB-Discovery, so you need to get that out of your mind. Amazon or Apple may be the only current existing streaming providers that can buy them, as no other Studio will likely be able to. However as the merger of WarnerMedia and Discovery just closed only 4 months ago as of this post its unlikely that another merger would take place so soon, this is also something you've been told before.

So I think its best to get used to WB-Discovery for at least the foreseeable future.

DisneyFan32

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
First its been expected that a majority of content being removed (those still under license to WB-Discovery) will be brought back under the merged HBO Max/Discovery+ app that will launch next year.

Second its unlikely this CEO will go anywhere anytime soon.

Third as has been said now many times Disney is unlikely to buy WB-Discovery, so you need to get that out of your mind. Amazon or Apple may be the only current existing streaming providers that can buy them, as no other Studio will likely be able to. However as the merger of WarnerMedia and Discovery just closed only 4 months ago as of this post its unlikely that another merger would take place so soon, this is also something you've been told before.

So I think its best to get used to WB-Discovery for at least the foreseeable future.
You're right, but Amazon may buy Warner Bros. Discovery because they have MGM now.

J4546

Two of WB’s biggest IPs are DC comics and animated characters (Scooby Doo, Looney Toons) which are IPs that really aren’t needed by Disney. Discovery is the closest thing to a competitor for National Geo. I just don’t see how it would make sense for Disney to purchase this company.
Yeah but maybe disney could do something good with DC?

LSLS

LOL, the thread that won't die, will it. Disney will not own WB or DC. They already had a gigantic investment with Fox, and they don't need WB/DC for their streaming or their IP (antitrust aside). I mean, if DC got a legit guy in charge and started from scratch to try to build a universe, they are still probably at least 10 years (by the time they have researched, put plans together, made movies, etc.) from even getting in the same realm as Marvel. Disney is already working on doing similar things with Star Wars, why would they take another project like that, which of course adds direct super hero competition to their Marvel work? Heck, even talking of taking on Discovery, they have NatGeo, why would they want Discovery too? Disney doesn't need more legacy things for their networks or parks.

Last edited:

DisneyFan32

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
LOL, the thread that won't die, will it. Disney will not own WB or DC. They already had a gigantic investment with Fox, and they don't need WB/DC for their streaming or their IP (antitrust aside). I mean, if DC got a legit guy in charge and started from scratch to try to build and universe, they are still probably at least 10 years (by the time they have researched, put plans together, made movies, etc.) from even getting in the same realm as Marvel. Disney is already working on doing similar things with Star Wars, why would they take another project like that, which of course adds direct super hero competition to their Marvel work? Heck, even talking of taking on Discovery, they have NatGeo, why would they want Discovery too? Disney doesn't need more legacy things for their networks or parks.
As possible in the future we don't know when it's going on in the future....even if Disney buys WB-Discovery or Amazon buys it in the future.

LSLS

As possible in the future we don't know when it's going on in the future....even if Disney buys WB-Discovery or Amazon buys it in the future.

Beyond the obvious antitrust issues with it, you really haven't provided ant reason disney would want to spend another $50 billion for a studio other than "That would be cool." What are they adding that changes what they have? Even a few years from now, I dont see any way disney would have interest, and it's going to take something big to convince me. Maybe Amazon would be interested, but that's a different thread, and frankly, it's not happening anytime soon.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom