News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
In one case you're talking about something along the lines of a dress code, and asking everyone to do the exact same thing on private property. This is not uncommon and only requires a piece of fabric outside the body.

In the other you are not only mandating a medical decision, but also the transfer of information about your medical decision. And at the time, vaccines were not available to even all adults.

I strongly believe everybody should be vaccinated, and would support some sort of passport for voluntary events likes sports stadiums or concerts, but we can't have the grocery store telling grandma that she can't buy milk without showing her vaccine passport on the new iPhone. It starts getting into issues of discrimination in places of public accommodation, and legally that gets kind of hairy. I don't really agree with the decision on outlawing the passports, but I understand why it was made.
Yeah, I believe that is essentially it. Requiring your medical records in order to go to a place of business that provides services gets into fishy territory...

DisneyCane

He signed the law, but okay.

I’m not talking about that law. I’m saying that if they mandated that they can’t require proof of vaccination, they could certainly pass *future* legislation prohibiting that businesses require masks. If they put in one restriction, why couldn’t they pass another?

I don’t know Florida law or the state constitution, so I’m genuinely asking.
I guess they could pass a law but it would be hard to justify that and it may not hold up in FL court. Proof of vaccination requires disclosure of personal health information. Wearing a mask does not.

aliceismad

but we can't have the grocery store telling grandma that she can't buy milk without showing her vaccine passport
Except that most grocery stores have made the reasonable accommodation of letting people pick up their groceries or even have their groceries delivered. Grandma doesn't need to step foot in the door to get her milk.

Tom P.

I could see that being an ADA violation. What about business owners who have a medical condition that requires masks to be able to interact with people. Same for wanting to protect their employees
You could make the same argument about vaccine mandates. Business owners could argue that it is necessary to require vaccines in order to protect their employees, particularly if they have employees that are immunocompromised or can't receive the vaccine themselves. But yet, the law exists.

EeyoreFan#24

I could see that being an ADA violation. What about business owners who have a medical condition that requires masks to be able to interact with people. Same for wanting to protect their employees

IMO this is the difference looking from both sides, there’s not substantial medical recommendation from the government agencies on the effectiveness of shirts and shoes on pandemics. So it’s different to me.

Brooklin Disney Dad

Hard lockdowns or more shots in arms.
It’s about time for the lives of the unvaccinated to be miserable. Require the shot at restaurants, movie theaters, schools, jobs, etc. Make their lives a living hell until they get the shot. It’s not fair to those of us who did what we were supposed to do to have to suffer again because of those idiots. This time they stay home, not us.
Yep. Since governments won’t create “vaccine passports” because they infringe on privacy issues, we all will have to mask up. Why the USA turned a pandemic into a political was is beyond ludicrous.
Sadly, Disney was too quick to tear down all social distancing measures. Wish they were looking longterm for safety instead of short term for dollars.
I hope they also cap capacity to ensure park goers get opportunity to enjoy the park.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I agree, those of us who are vaccinated shouldn't have to suffer because others choose not to get a vaccine. And before someone mentions again about those who can't get a vaccine...my response is that they should wear a mask, not me.
That challenge right now is we are back in ‘slow the surge’ mode like we were more than a year ago. We first need to get everyone back with masks to stabilize spread and in parallel get everyone vaccinated. If both things don’t happen this runs rampant for months into the future again.

donsullivan

Premium Member
For now, yes. New legislation could be passed to change that, however.
We need to stop walking down that path. There are so many medical facilities that would be swept up in something like that it’s not going to happen and he knows it. It would be deemed unconstitional by the courts. Instead he has focused his attention on banning facial coverings in schools without regard for what is happening.

Tom P.

That challenge right now is we are back in ‘slow the surge’ mode like we were more than a year ago. We first need to get everyone back with masks to stabilize spread and in parallel get everyone vaccinated. If both things don’t happen this runs rampant for months into the future again.
Not necessarily. Look at the UK. It is generally agreed that we were lagging several weeks behind them, which is why our surge didn't begin until later than theirs. However, they are already seeing dramatic declines in cases. Their cases just fell for the seventh day in a row, dropping 50% in the last week. There is a lot of speculation that this may turn out to be more of a "spike" than a "surge" and that they have already peaked and are on the way down. If that's true, the same could happen for us in several weeks rather than it running rampant for months into the future.

Tom P.

If guests don't want to comply then they should be removed from property. Wearing a mask is not rocket science.
That's great in theory. What if 50% refuse to comply? What about 75%? Are you just going to empty the parks? I don't think mask mandates will work this time around. I just don't think people will accept them anymore.

MikeyK72

or...enough of the unvaccinated get the virus and achieve natural immunity.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
That's great in theory. What if 50% refuse to comply? What about 75%? Are you just going to empty the parks? I don't think mask mandates will work this time around. I just don't think people will accept them anymore.
Maybe will be okay if it’s just the indoor mandate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom