News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otterhead

B.S. Alert….
I appreciate the follow-up; I wasn't trying to claim that, medically, previous infection is useless. As you say, it's looking like it can offer a level of immunity. My comment was a comparison between getting the vaccine or not -- it's still important to get it, even if you suspect you've had Covid. Especially since the new variations may break through any immunity you might have.

Heelz2315

There's growing conversation and mounting pressure from the White House and the former Surgeon General (this morning) calling for the CDC to change their guidance, or at least clarify to "if you're fully vaccinated and you're around someone you don't know you should wear a mask"

From what I have seen and heard from the CDC fully vaccinated people have a great chance of not contracting and not spreading Covid.

Why the call to change the guidance? Case numbers of the unvaccinated? And do you think the CDC will change their guidance? Talk about muddying the waters if they did. Alot of confusing messages if they walked that back within two months.

My worry is the CDC changes, Disney will change. And I've got a trip on 8/11 and do not want to wear a mask. I'd hate to cancel at the last minute. (full disclosure I'm fully vaxxed as well as everyone else in my party)

Otterhead

Why the call to change the guidance? Case numbers of the unvaccinated? And do you think the CDC will change their guidance? Talk about muddying the waters if they did. Alot of confusing messages if they walked that back within two months.
Case numbers are skyrocketing, especially in Southern states & Florida specifically, due to Delta and the unvaccinated; it's scary.

I totally agree that the back and forth gets confusing and frustrating for people who, understandably, just want this to be over and took heart with the clear message of "get vaccinated & you don't have to wear a mask at all." And it gets really confusing for people who are looking at places like Disney and Universal who had all these protections a few months ago (masks, distancing, half-full rides) that've all been removed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There was always a chance people would screw up the vaccine rollout and we’d slide back.

and many of the people doing the screw up aren’t satisfied till they see it.

but this isn’t an nfl debate…nature is relentless…it doesn’t sleep and it has no feelings…and doesn’t care what you think

SoFloMagic

Interesting. So the State of Florida "nope no masks." Universal Orlando "We're not changing our mask policy". Disney ? Anyone want to guess if/when they'll make a statement and what it'll be?
I know I'm a week late to the party, but "we will continue to follow CDC guidelines as we have since safely reopening our parks in July of 2020"

SoFloMagic

Overall, through the entire course of the pandemic, Florida faired better than almost every northeastern state despite having no mask mandates. People wore masks in Florida. Some stores required them. They just weren't required to by law.
That's just not true. There were mask mandates in Florida. And even after the governor struck them down, counties and Florida DBPR still enforced them in businesses. So businesses self-enforced. The orange county mask mandate (whether valid or invalid, it did exist) likely saved hundreds of lives and coincided with a reduction in positivity rate.

Heelz2315

I know I'm a week late to the party, but "we will continue to follow CDC guidelines as we have since safely reopening our parks in July of 2020"

I called Disney today and asked them about the mandates coming back. Masks etc. I was told “unless things get REALLY bad and considerably worse I cannot imagine they’d be bringing them back”.

They also went on to tell me they’ve begun bringing some of their call center people back to the office

Heelz2315

Sounds official.

I have no idea if that’s 100% but I haven’t seen Disney do anything as of late to signal they’re at least holding off doing anything else before moving forward. They’re showing no signs of reversing.

Not to say they won’t but from opening the dressing rooms/the hotels opening back up/the hours being extended/the cast members they brought fe California to a Florida etc. all that says we’re done

SoFloMagic

I called Disney today and asked them about the mandates coming back. Masks etc. I was told “unless things get REALLY bad and considerably worse I cannot imagine they’d be bringing them back”.

They also went on to tell me they’ve begun bringing some of their call center people back to the office
Probably accurate, but also probably not an official stance.

I think the CDC will end up recommending vaccinated individuals wear masks in crowded indoor spaces (at least in areas with high +% and low vax%) within the next few weeks.

Disney has to know that 30-40% of guests are misrepresenting vaccination status. We'll see if things get bad enough for them to no longer feel safe hiding behind "well we told them they should..."

SoFloMagic

Not to say they won’t but from opening the dressing rooms/the hotels opening back up/the hours being extended/the cast members they brought fe California to a Florida etc. all that says we’re done
I think this is more about staffing than health

cm1988

This may sound radical, but maybe consider postponing your WDW trip until AFTER the fourth wave of this pandemic. Three of these "waves" have been entirely unnecessary. The first was early summer, 2020: the "gotta get back to business" wave. WDW reopened with lots of disclaimers, soon after. Then the second wave was our "get the family together for the holidays" wave. Third wave? "Spring break; kick back; it's over" wave. Fourth wave, "The vaccine isn't real. The Delta variant isn't real. It's perfectly safe to do stuff outdoors even in theme parks that get more crowded every day."

Four times, we have proven, as a nation/culture that money and our personal happiness and our inability to postpone gratification are more important to us than risking our lives, our family's lives, and especially strangers' lives. If you'd rather not be part of that proof, and you care enough to end this pandemic, don't convince yourself that you have to play the odds. Wait for this to be over. Break the death chain and save lots of sickness, and lots of lives.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I am not doubting you, but I am really surprised that CM would say that. I would assume the call center people would have a very carefully worded script to answer this question since I am sure they get it a lot.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The CDC’s credibility would take a beating if they changed their guidance this quick. As of Friday they were all in not changing their guidance
Medicine is not a game of blackjack or poker. You don’t have to “stand” on a spot because things are always evolving. Like the delta we are doing a pretty good job of spreading.

there’s a simple reason why I don’t worry about their credibility: they are smarter than us.

and the same idiots that didn’t listen before…likely won’t listen again. No need to mind them:

danv3

Remember “my mask protects you and your mask protects me”? If I’m fully vaccinated, who am I protecting with my mask? We know the likelihood of me catching and spreading COVID is quite low. CDC needs to focus on getting more people vaccinated (the ones who still aren’t aren’t going to obey new mask mandates anyway).

doctornick

Eh, just because they aren’t wearing them because they’re not required doesn’t mean people would refuse to go if they had to wear it. I think some have this idea that some people like wearing masks. No one truly likes it, but I understand why it’s a thing and I’d understand if Disney said they were required again indoors.

I was just in Vegas for a conference and there was probably about 25% of people who were wearing masks (voluntarily). Granted, it's a bit more of a hotspot than Florida but I found it interesting. Certainly not a high number, but wasn't zero by any means.

To the point above though, I actually think the number of people who would not go on a trip to Disney or (even more aggressively) would cancel a trip there that is planned if masks were reinstated would be a small percentage. I think most people dislike masks and would prefer not to wear them, but in light of rising cases, most would also be understanding if Disney imposed a mask rule. (I'm thinking an indoor mask rule; the data is strong enough that outdoor mask rules seem pretty pointless and would indeed be poorly received in Florida heat and humidity.) I mean, the vast majority of people seem perfectly fine with wearing a mask while at on flights without putting up a huge stink and that's how many folks would get to WDW anyway.

I also think people would be more understanding of a mask rule at WDW where a large percentage of the guests are under 12 and not even able to get the vaccine. It's not exactly the same age range of your local supermarket or Target.

Edit: I'm not saying they should return to a mask required policy (I don't think they should) nor do I think they will (they won't). Just that if they did require them again, I don't think the reaction from guests will be as severe as suggested by some here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom