News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToTBellHop

Sure, I just thought that since the rule was specifically relax for vaccinated guests, I was still sort of expecting there to be cast members of the entrances saying something along the lines of, “all children under 12 must wear masks. I don’t know, I guess it sounds kind of ridiculous now that I’m saying it out loud, but given their past track record of strictness regarding mask usage, I was just surprised to see no one questioning 4 year old Johnny boy not wearing a mask. At the same time, I’m not complaining. I’m glad it’s being left up to the choice I guests now, personally.
If they had truly wanted children in masks, they would have stuck with the “masks for everyone indoors” policy. They were never going to adopt a policy punishing children, exclusively.

jinx8402

If they had truly wanted children in masks, they would have stuck with the “masks for everyone indoors” policy. They were never going to adopt a policy punishing children, exclusively.

I wonder why they didn't just say children under 16 don't need masks, regardless of vaccination. Is it legal cover at this point? If a child gets covid while there they can point to the rules and say they should have been wearing a mask?

ToTBellHop

I wonder why they didn't just say children under 16 don't need masks, regardless of vaccination. Is it legal cover at this point? If a child gets covid while there they can point to the rules and say they should have been wearing a mask?
Absolutely. They aren’t giving permission. They choose wording that neither guarantees safety nor suggests the parks are dangerous.

EeyoreFan#24

Complete legal issue. They would be not following CDC guidance at that point. It would open Disney up to liability for interpreting/changing guidelines, instead of having the ability to point at the “experts” and say the government said this is the best practice. Right or wrong, same issue in most companies.

Last edited:

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Complete legal issue. They would be not following CDC guidance at that point. It would open Disney up to liability for interpreting/changing guidelines, instead of having the ability to point at the “experts” and say the government said this is the beat practice. Right or wrong, same issue in most companies.
But guidelines are just that and not law correct? Fair warning, I am nowhere near versed in law nor a lawyer. Just a thought.

Last edited:

EeyoreFan#24

But guidelines are just not and not law correct? Fair warning, I am nowhere near versed in law nor a lawyer. Just a thought.
Correct, but that puts Disney in the position of becoming the expert and needing to defend their positions instead of pointing at the established experts and leaving the liability with them. Not that’s it’s right, but that’s how most look at it.

Wendy Pleakley

It's strange wording but they're basically in a position where they can't ask for proof of vaccination or enforce anything so it's basically telling people they're supposed to wear a mask if unvaccinated but it's ultimately a personal choice now. It makes sense for adults to some degree, as everyone can be vaccinated should they choose. For kids, one can argue that masks should still be required for their protection.

Punishing is a strong word. It may feel unfair, but different rules for different groups waiting on vaccine approval isn't designed to punish anyone.

ToTBellHop

It's strange wording but they're basically in a position where they can't ask for proof of vaccination or enforce anything so it's basically telling people they're supposed to wear a mask if unvaccinated but it's ultimately a personal choice now. It makes sense for adults to some degree, as everyone can be vaccinated should they choose. For kids, one can argue that masks should still be required for their protection.

Punishing is a strong word. It may feel unfair, but different rules for different groups waiting on vaccine approval isn't designed to punish anyone.
I would absolutely call it punishment. You are punishing a child for being a child. They didn’t choose not to get the vaccine. Imposing a penalty on a person (especially that they find to be unpleasant) due to an offense (here, being a child) is punishment.

Walt Disney1955

I highly doubt that masks for transportation will stop any time soon and I am sure the Canadian border will open up with mask rules still being mandated for air, bus , plane and train. Most likely masks for transportation will be around until Feb 2022 at soonest. I would think the feds need compare the height of the pandemic from last year to this year, which is Nov 1 to Feb 1 before we go putting people on buses , planes and train together with no masks. Plus, other countries are nowhere near where we are. Stopping mask rules on transportation first, then allowing other countries to come in doesn't make sense. I think it needs be the other way around.

Could you imagine the backlash if they lifted that restriction right now and come Jan we hit the same peak or higher as last year? I don't see any upside to the feds changing the rule on transportation any time soon.

Regarding Disney, they could of ended masks, social distancing and open 100% months ago if they wanted, they chose not to. As far as transportation at Disney they have been following CDC for the most, part but I do believe their transportation have to mirror the fed rules for now. If anywhere a business could get out of mask rules for transportation FL is it. If Disney ends mask on their transportation first it would not be a huge surprise, Disney just hasn't been following that path so far.

I was talking purely about Disney transportation. I think for a little while unfortunately we are going to have to deal with masks on planes. But I mean how much longer before they ditch the masks on the rare places on Disney property that are left such as the monorails and the buses? A week or two? Who knows, things are going at a very fast pace. They took the plexiglass out of the monorails and the rides are being loaded the same way as before as per the pictures. I like it, looks like Disney of old again.

Yeah if our government up here takes a cue from the one in Florida then we'd have our borders open in a hurry and I can assure you that Canadians would go to Florida in droves when that happens. I am friends with a guy who hates the vaccine, but got it solely based on the fact he figures he might need it to go visit Florida (I never said he was bright to begin with).

Walt Disney1955

Oh no, man, no. Keep it off the kids. Their brains are developing at this stage and so is their immune system. They need germs, they need dirt and they need fresh air. Your mother in the 1980s was right all along.

Wendy Pleakley

I thought all analogies to the flu and to traffic accidents were strictly verboten.

If you think that you missed the point.

It's not comparing COVID to anything else. Kids can't be vaccinated yet so masks are appropriate for them. Adults can get vaccinated, so masks aren't required. Likewise kids are smaller so they need a car seat.

The claim was that it's "unfair" for kids to wear masks while adults don't. It has nothing to do with fairness, there are simply different types of protection available for adults that aren't available for kids yet.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
If you think that you missed the point.

It's not comparing COVID to anything else. Kids can't be vaccinated yet so masks are appropriate for them. Adults can get vaccinated, so masks aren't required. Likewise kids are smaller so they need a car seat.

The claim was that it's "unfair" for kids to wear masks while adults don't. It has nothing to do with fairness, there are simply different types of protection available for adults that aren't available for kids yet.
I think what the poster was getting at was that children are most vulnerable in a car accident so a car seat is appropriate, but are the least vulnerable when it comes to COVID, so is a mask really necessary? CDC will have new guidance on children shortly and I think we all know what it will be. Just my take on it.

ColeTrain04

Why do you assume this? Seriously tired of this polarized version of the pandemic. There are lots of shades of gray. As a rule follower I just rushed my kid to get vaccinated. Now it's not an issue for him or the loved ones who are still more at risk after being vaccinated. We can be happily mask free from now on. If someone asks or requires, we are not going to be jerks and we will comply. Many of us who did comply hated masks.

The FDA will be fully approving both Pfizer and Moderna soon. So you can take your anti-vax rhetoric somewhere else at that point.

Straight from the horses mouth. Using kids as a reason to keep Covid measures is getting to be ridiculous. Also I believe I read somewhere that the UK is going to advise against vaccination in anyone under the age of 18. Reason for that? There at a higher risk of complications from vaccination vs sever complications from Covid-19.

Attachments

• 0A1CCC08-BBC1-46DB-A774-482F729B2B24.png
    0A1CCC08-BBC1-46DB-A774-482F729B2B24.png
    141.2 KB · Views: 66

James J

In the Parks
No
Straight from the horses mouth. Using kids as a reason to keep Covid measures is getting to be ridiculous. Also I believe I read somewhere that the UK is going to advise against vaccination in anyone under the age of 18. Reason for that? There at a higher risk of complications from vaccination vs sever complications from Covid-19.
That's not really the reason. They're unlikely to recommend it at the moment due to wanting to wait for more data to come in from countries that are vaccinating children (US and Israel), and there isn't actually enough supply at the moment to give second shots to those who need them as well as vaccinate kids.

With the youngsters having less chance of getting a severe case of Covid, it's more about whether there is the need to jab them yet considering the limited supplies rather than anything to do with potential complications.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57496074

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom