News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

dovetail65

I was there yesterday, and were told that today the "no mask" rule would go into effect....I will still wear my mask while shopping indoors, as their are many that have not/won's received their shots....and even with the shots you could still get Covid...we just had a mini spike at the office...so I'm good with my mask indoors....besides I go to the parks early once a month...and I'm out as soon as the crowds gets too heavy....
You are not wrong to want to wear the mask, wear it with pride! I choose not to wear mine with the same pride, even though my brain knows you are more right than me.

Trauma

I have been here two weeks and will be two weeks more.

The rule change happens today. Are people going to wear the masks nope, but only because it is not the rule. So it wont prove anything if we see no one with masks on today.

I am 100% for masks and believe in them, I have looked over the studies and the simulations that show if 95% of people wear masks we save about 130K lives every 90 days and believe it

Will I wear a mask today, nope. Over the last two weeks did Guest complain about the masks openly, nope. When someone in line would keep dropping their mask in line what happened? The other guests stared at them with their eye's saying get that dam mask on, that is what happened. The anti-maskers and I only saw 2 I think, looked like fools. But those same guests that were glaring at those people not wanting to wear masks are not going to don their masks today simply because the rules now say they don't have to wear them if they are vaccinated.

Not seeing masks today won't mean anything at all, at least not what you are implying it will mean.

The question should be will people follow the rules and they do. When the masks rules were in place the last 2 weeks what I saw overwhelmingly was everyone was on board with the rules. We need remember this, we need rules or not, we can not leave it to us individuals to make these decisions. I believe in the masks and even knowing what I know once that rule is gone I will not wear the mask.

In other words rules and mandate work from the standpoint people follow them and actually act as a group to make sure they are followed, as subtle as that enforcement might be(like a glaring look to those not wearing a mask, etc). But once the rule is gone even the most ardent mask supporter like me simply are not going to wear the mask, it is just how it is. I hate the mask, but if the government or Disney tomorrow says I need wear a mask I wear it and get on with it.
Ok?

dovetail65

My point was that the masks we see or dont see in a crowd at WDW really don't show us anything about people feelings on the mask mandates. I am for mask mandates, I am still not wearing a mask if the rules say I do not have to, so we can not take anything away from what we see in the crowds in WDW parks is all.

MagicHappens1971

This time of year and right now the crowds are not crowds. I do not feel the park have been any more busy that any other Feb we have come and that is with many show closures right now. For the record we do live in IL, but are local as we have a home a few minutes from Ak as well. If WDW opened every show tomorrow, had two roller Coasters back operating at AK the parks would seem less busy than a regular Feb.

I am not sure why this is, but some guests keep saying it so busy, but I assure you we have been to each park 2 or 3 times in the last two weeks and the crowds leaving are nothing at all comparatively. There are hot spots yeah, but the longest line we chose to stand in was 25 minutes and we have done very attraction in every park.

If people don't want to adjust how they choose to see the parks than they can stand in lines or come up with their own plan that works for them. If that plan has them in 90 minute lines then it is the wrong plan, at least this month. I mean who the heck stands in line for the Rat for 170 minutes over 11 bucks a person, that is their choice. I talked to one person that asked me how I am walking in the LL lane. I was amazed, this guest didn't even know there was such thing as an LL or Genie plus. I had to show him how to use the app even using his phone to demonstrate how to use the app. I thought most of these people standing in the standby just didn't want to pay, possibly many Guests don't have a clue?

I just offer my advice for those that want to take it for this month, no more than that. 2 days ago we left MK 15 minutes before close and walked on the monorail and I mean walked on, zero minute wait. Now that day I saw posts saying how very busy it was at MK, you seem to know WDW so I ask, if I can walk on the monorail 15 minute before close can it really have that many people in it? I say it "seems" more busy than a regular Feb, but in reality I do not believe it is. Heck, if all the shows were open and a ride here and there not down it would be less busy than a regular Feb. For example, at Space Mountain someone showed a picture of the line going all the way down to the Monsters show, WOW so busy, right? That picture made the crowds look huge. What they don't mention is that day all the internal que were not being used(as few as ther are inside to begin with), yep we got in and it was a straight line to the coaster. This is just one example of how the parks are looking more busy than they are. Now matter what the pictures show or what my own Fl neighbors say, I can see from the cars and the crowds that leave and the wait times my wife and I have in line that we are nowhere near capacity, not even close. Anyone complaining the last two weeks about long lines or it being super busy simply does not know how to approach going on the rides or never was in WDW when they were at true capacity pre covid.
F3F73DCF-84E0-47A2-92D8-3AA812C9AC2B.png
15E33AEE-AA97-4B38-AEDE-904297F6FD47.png
As a Florida native who’s visited the parks 1-5 times a month for the past 4-5 years and at least once a year since I was 4, I can tell you, no one is being “dramatic”. I’ve been at the parks Thanksgiving day, New Year’s Day, 4th of July, etc, I’ve seen those crowds, I don’t think anyone is saying it’s that crowded. However, firstly the crowds at this time of year are unusual, but to that point, the crowds are at a higher level this past week than I’ve seen in any trip I’ve taken in the past 6 months. These are just some wait time example, I’m not complaining and I’m just leisurely strolling through the parks getting on what I can, but for guests who come once in a lifetime or even just once every few years and have heard January & February are slower, should not expect that this year. Your post is kind of tone deaf and out of place, even if you’ve been to the parks during this time, either you’re blind or just ignoring the crowds. I was here 2 and a half weeks ago and the crowds were approximately half of what they are the past few days. And Presidents’ Day isn’t till Monday.

Attachments

• 622AA7CC-FB18-4C83-80D5-45973563E009.png
    622AA7CC-FB18-4C83-80D5-45973563E009.png
    145 KB · Views: 51

Trauma

My point was that the masks we see or dont see in a crowd at WDW really don't show us anything about people feelings on the mask mandates. I am for mask mandates, I am still not wearing a mask if the rules say I do not have to, so we can not take anything away from what we see in the crowds in WDW parks is all.
So your point is people love the mask mandates but they are not going to follow them unless they are forced to?

You might want to think about this some more.

drnilescrane

So your point is people love the mask mandates but they are not going to follow them unless they are forced to?

It has come up in polling. When asked directly for support for mask mandates, it's still > 50%. But when asked for overall sentiment on COVID and willingness to continue measures, it's much, much less.

It's what the British used to call the shy Tory effect - nobody was willing to admit they'd vote for Margaret Thatcher but she won 3 elections. People don't want to be seen as anti mask but they really hate either the masks themselves or the visible reminder we're in a pandemic.

That's why the mandates are dropping.

dovetail65

Who said they love the mandates, saying people follow the mandates with a small % that whine about it.

What I am seeing at WDW is people following the rules and when they saw others that didn't other guests were disapproving when others did not follow the rules.

Rules by definition are forced, so you might want to think about that a bit more.

dovetail65

It has come up in polling. When asked directly for support for mask mandates, it's still > 50%. But when asked for overall sentiment on COVID and willingness to continue measures, it's much, much less.

It's what the British used to call the shy Tory effect - nobody was willing to admit they'd vote for Margaret Thatcher but she won 3 elections. People don't want to be seen as anti mask but they really hate either the masks themselves or the visible reminder we're in a pandemic.

The mandates are dropping as the numbers are declining quite a bit.

You are so off base, link to that than. Most people still support it, not the other way around;

Rules have there place , we as individuals are not going to do the right thing, I don't. If we all did why bother having any rules at all, it's because people as a group people follow rules. From what I am seeing at WDW everyone was happy and fine with the mask rules. Now we will be happy with the new rules.

It is a very small minority that actively fight rules, they just scream the loudest. Fact is most will do whatever the rules are. I had a great time with the mask rules, now I wil have a great time with no mask. I am not going to say the mask rules were useless, they were and are not.

Last edited:

Dizziman

I'm not following that logic either.

In any event, DW and I are excited that our early March trip will be (mostly) mask free. We've been vaxed and boosted (and nevertheless caught the virus during the holidays). While I'm concerned about crowds for wait time reasons, that's out of my control, and we'll just have as much fun as we can. I have a feeling, though, we ultimately will look back at this experience differently from our other 20+ trips. I just hope the magic is still there!

Trauma

Yes some people are afraid to voice their feelings because they don’t feel like being shouted down by the screeching mob.

In the end common sense has prevailed and we can all move on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trauma

I'm not following that logic either.

In any event, DW and I are excited that our early March trip will be (mostly) mask free. We've been vaxed and boosted (and nevertheless caught the virus during the holidays). While I'm concerned about crowds for wait time reasons, that's out of my control, and we'll just have as much fun as we can. I have a feeling, though, we ultimately will look back at this experience differently from our other 20+ trips. I just hope the magic is still there!
If it gives you some hope for a good trip I will just tell you my September trip and New Years trip where both excellent.

I hope you have an amazing trip!

correcaminos

This time of year and right now the crowds are not crowds. I do not feel the park have been any more busy that any other Feb we have come and that is with many show closures right now. For the record we do live in IL, but are local as we have a home a few minutes from Ak as well. If WDW opened every show tomorrow, had two roller Coasters back operating at AK the parks would seem less busy than a regular Feb.

I am not sure why this is, but some guests keep saying it so busy, but I assure you we have been to each park 2 or 3 times in the last two weeks and the crowds leaving are nothing at all comparatively. There are hot spots yeah, but the longest line we chose to stand in was 25 minutes and we have done very attraction in every park.

If people don't want to adjust how they choose to see the parks than they can stand in lines or come up with their own plan that works for them. If that plan has them in 90 minute lines then it is the wrong plan, at least this month. I mean who the heck stands in line for the Rat for 170 minutes over 11 bucks a person, that is their choice. I talked to one person that asked me how I am walking in the LL lane. I was amazed, this guest didn't even know there was such thing as an LL or Genie plus. I had to show him how to use the app even using his phone to demonstrate how to use the app. I thought most of these people standing in the standby just didn't want to pay, possibly many Guests don't have a clue?

I just offer my advice for those that want to take it for this month, no more than that. 2 days ago we left MK 15 minutes before close and walked on the monorail and I mean walked on, zero minute wait. Now that day I saw posts saying how very busy it was at MK, you seem to know WDW so I ask, if I can walk on the monorail 15 minute before close can it really have that many people in it? I say it "seems" more busy than a regular Feb, but in reality I do not believe it is. Heck, if all the shows were open and a ride here and there not down it would be less busy than a regular Feb. For example, at Space Mountain someone showed a picture of the line going all the way down to the Monsters show, WOW so busy, right? That picture made the crowds look huge. What they don't mention is that day all the internal que were not being used(as few as ther are inside to begin with), yep we got in and it was a straight line to the coaster. This is just one example of how the parks are looking more busy than they are. Now matter what the pictures show or what my own Fl neighbors say, I can see from the cars and the crowds that leave and the wait times my wife and I have in line that we are nowhere near capacity, not even close. Anyone complaining the last two weeks about long lines or it being super busy simply does not know how to approach going on the rides or never was in WDW when they were at true capacity pre covid.
We can agree to disagree. It was far busier in mid November than it was that time previously. My local friend says way busier than pre covid. Likely because not everything I'd open. My friend is a really good friend too and wouldn't make stuff up.

And I'm sorry you took offense to me not wanting to take your advice. Just realize one size does not fit all. What you do works for you. You likely do not deal with issues I do either and I never wait more than 20 mins for a ride because of it.

Chip Chipperson

It has reached a new peak in many fields during the pandemic leading to staffing shortages. Of course, a staffing shortage at Pecos Bill’s is not a true emergency. In schools and hospitals, it is.

People need to be kinder. But I don’t expect they will. Case in point, see 2 posts up!

Agreed. I've been to WDW 3 times since May and haven't seen a single rude CM. I have, however, seen plenty of rude guests. At AKL I witnessed a guy intentiionally refuse to wear a mask before entering the Jambo House lobby because he decided he was "done" with masks despite his wife's plea to wear it so he didn't get in trouble when someone saw him. He was seeking out a confrontation with a CM for no reason. He knew the rules when they booked their stay but had no intention of following them, knowing full well that it would make someone's (or likely many people's) jobs harder. I also saw a woman in the lobby of Kidani yelling at a CM at around 9 PM because she said she left a phone charger in the room when she checked out earlier that day and was told that housekeeping didn't report finding it. She demanded to be let into the room to retrieve it and when told that wasn't possible because the room was occupied by another family, demanded that the CM call the room and ask the family to look for the charger. Keep in mind, she returned looking for the charger that she claimed was "out in the open and couldn't be missed" (yet somehow left the room without noticing it sitting in the unstated obvious spot) at least 8 hours after check-out - but it was the CM's fault that nobody reported a charger being left behind (and of course it couldn't possibly be that the phone charger wasn't left behind at all and was actually packed somewhere other than where she thought).

Now, that doesn't mean that rude CMs don't exist. I'm sure they do, but typically don't last very long. I myself had a rude CM at Poly many years ago, but nothing that rose to the level of even making a complaint to a manager - and certainly not "make a little kid cry" level. The other poster also didn't specify what caused the alleged confrontation. Was it the mask policy? If so, then that falls on the parents for not making their child comply with the policy they knew was in place when they arrived - and was almost certainly a discussion between the CM and the parents rather than a case of the CM yelling at a little kid, but those details wouldn't fit the narrative being pushed.

correcaminos

Been at HS for about 15 mins. Been through stores on each side of Hollywood & Sunset, I’d say 0 masks on any guests
Asked my friend. She says maybe 1% indoors. She's been shopping. No more than that though..

You'll always have some who will feel the need for travel or upcoming procedure or maybe job requires testing lots. Or my one friend says they will wear. Makes them feel safer then fine.

Trauma

Asked my friend. She says maybe 1% indoors. She's been shopping. No more than that though..

You'll always have some who will feel the need for travel or upcoming procedure or maybe job requires testing lots. Or my one friend says they will wear. Makes them feel safer then fine.
The most unacceptable thing moving forward will be for someone to shame someone else for wearing a mask.

Anyone who chooses to wear a mask should get treated with the utmost respect. Who knows what issues they are dealing with.

As much as I hate masking it’s important we create an environment where people feel comfortable doing so.

correcaminos

The most unacceptable thing moving forward will be for someone to shame someone else for wearing a mask.

Anyone who chooses to wear a mask should get treated with the utmost respect. Who knows what issues they are dealing with.

As much as I hate masking it’s important we create an environment where people feel comfortable doing so.
I won't personally judge. Being stranded would suck due to a positive test. My kid wants to go on our March trip so bad he plans to mask after mandates in school drop for a few days (between the drop and break). I can see kids taking HS courses wear them a week before to keep from getting sick. Protecting before surgery makes sense too. Or if it helps allergies. Even just worrying too much if it calms it's all good.

No shame here. Heck I plan to wear one when I work a school store next week. I don't want their germs. I wash my hands a ton too lol. But no maskhole from me on either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom