News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegas Disney Fan

True. Seatbelt is PPE, mask is source control.

A more apt comparison is facemasks to underwear.

I always compare it to wearing a belt (vaccine) AND suspenders (mask).

Technically wearing both is the surest way to make sure my pants don’t fall down but since the belts already extremely effective at keeping my pants up I don’t really see a need for the suspenders.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I do this for the same reason that I put on sunscreen while being fair skinned - to avoid something worse.
The vaccine is the sunscreen, plus wearing a shirt and staying in the shade when possible. Throwing on a mask after that is a pretend barrier with no benefit in real life scenarios.
And yes I’m going to keep beating this drum because I don’t think we should celebrate irrational fears being solved by pretend solutions.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member

Technically wearing both is the surest way to make sure my pants don’t fall down but since the belts already extremely effective at keeping my pants up I don’t really see a need for the suspenders.

That's a fair comparison. But since I live in a state with loads of antivaxxers, making it ripe for new variants, and my pregnant wife has a compromised immune system, I minimize the risk to her health and that of my unborn child by doing the very minor thing of being masked when indoors.

Angel Ariel

The vaccine is the sunscreen, plus wearing a shirt and staying in the shade when possible. Throwing on a mask after that is a pretend barrier with no benefit in real life scenarios.
And yes I’m going to keep beating this drum because I don’t think we should celebrate irrational fears being solved by pretend solutions.
The vaccine is the sunscreen. The mask is the shirt.

The assumption that a mask is being worn by someone vaccinated out of fear is just that - an assumption. I won’t speak for anyone else, but my choice isn’t made from fear or emotion.

Club Cooloholic

But I can see a belt or suspenders and that your pants are staying up. Unfortunately most of the ones that dont want to wear a mask(belt) also refuse to wear suspenders (vaccine) and want us to ignore their pants falling down.

Joesixtoe

True. Seatbelt is PPE, mask is source control.

A more apt comparison is facemasks to underwear.
Umm maybe an n95 mask, but these other ones don't really stop much transmission, except some larger droplets. If you can smell, your receiving and transmitting. Your also wearing a mask full of many different germs(possibly covid), thus constantly breathing it all in. But I'm neither for or against the mask, so if Disney want us to wear them, I do it.

mkt

Premium Member
It’s more like my daughter’s comfort blanket. It makes her feel safe.
Except that comfort blanket will keep her warm if it's cold. Just like my mask is adding an additional layer of protection for myself and my family in a state full of antimaskers and antivaxxers.

Tony the Tigger

This is where I defend Mikey a little

we have a timeshare…that we showed Disney loyalty for years if not decades on…

and Disney has done a **** poor job of handling that these last two years. Very bad management.

loyalty is a two way street.

he could possibly pause/use his DVC in other manners if they gave just a tad of concern towards it

Yeah, I'm not all up on this topic, but I think Disney should have definitely made special allowances for DVC in this case, such as last-minute banking, etc.

Angel Ariel

The fact that you believe it provides that level of benefit on top of the vaccine in real life situations is concerning to me. And if enough believe this nonsense, we will be stuck in a never ending cycle of mandates that never need to be proved.
What level of benefit? Shirts don’t fully protect someone from sunburn either. Unless you’re fully covered head to toe there’s still risk. A shirt is part of a layered prevention strategy for sunburn. A mask is part of a layered prevention strategy for Covid.

It’s the combination of those layered strategies - sunscreen, a shirt, a hat, shorts, taking care with how much time you spend exposed to the sun that makes a difference in getting burned or not. It’s the combination of vaccines, masks, hand washing, ventilation, etc that makes a difference in getting Covid or not. You’re acting like I believe a mask on its own provides some miracle level of prevention from catching Covid, and that’s just not the case. 🤷‍♀️

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
You’re acting like I believe a mask on its own provides some miracle level of prevention from catching Covid, and that’s just not the case. 🤷‍♀️
Not really. You’re just acting like the mask provides benefit to a vaccinated person in real life situations. I’m saying it doesn’t. If I’m wrong, show me. Quantify the benefit of a vaccinated person wearing a mask in a store, restaurant or queue. What is it? 1%? 0.1%? We are two years in almost.

what about a plane? We know that based on how the air flow and filtration systems work on commercial airliners, the transmission risk is very very low, even for the unvaccinated. Yet we act like it’s the most dangerous place. Vaccinated people don’t need to wear masks on planes. Do we even follow the science anymore?

correcaminos

There are situations as I explained in other posts where the timing prevents folks from renting. Have you ever tried to rent with about 35 days left before the points expire? That's one of the dangers of booking a reservation in the month before your next use year.
To be honest the rental market is hot. Confirmed reservations seem to rent well. People want to go to Disney and since availability is tight many are turning to DVC. Just an FYI for the future

Angel Ariel

Not really. You’re just acting like the mask provides benefit to a vaccinated person in real life situations. I’m saying it doesn’t. If I’m wrong, show me. Quantify the benefit of a vaccinated person wearing a mask on a store, restaurant or queue. What is it? 1%? 0.1%? We are two years in almost.

what about a plane? We know that based on how the air flow and filtration systems work on commercial airliners, they transmission risk is very very low, even for the unvaccinated. Yet we act like it’s the most dangerous place. Vaccinated people don’t need to wear masks on planes. Do we even follow the science anymore?
I’m actually not concerned about planes for the reasons you stated. And we aren’t two years in to being able to study what benefit on top of the vaccine masks provide given that vaccines haven’t been available (to the general public) for even a full year yet. And in that year, a lot of research and time was going to still getting those vaccines available to all populations, and a major variant that clearly took priorities in studying as well, and we are just getting the studies and data about the efficacy of vaccines against delta, which would be needed before being able to quantify what benefit masks have on top of vaccines against delta.

I do expect that information will be quantified, and look forward to it, and agree policy will be and should be determined based on it. But I also understand all of these industries have been more than overwhelmed, and this will take time. 🤷‍♀️

mkt

Premium Member
I'm wondering if anyone could direct me to the thread discussing the current and or updates to the mask policy at WDW.
I appear to have found myself in the wrong thread.
It's this post right here.

Masks are required while indoors. The end.

200.gif

Yellow Shoes

Not really. You’re just acting like the mask provides benefit to a vaccinated person in real life situations. I’m saying it doesn’t. If I’m wrong, show me. Quantify the benefit of a vaccinated person wearing a mask in a store, restaurant or queue. What is it? 1%? 0.1%? We are two years in almost.

what about a plane? We know that based on how the air flow and filtration systems work on commercial airliners, the transmission risk is very very low, even for the unvaccinated. Yet we act like it’s the most dangerous place. Vaccinated people don’t need to wear masks on planes. Do we even follow the science anymore
It seems to me that the problem is that we cannot prove who is or is not vaccinated, and the non-vaccinated are lying about their status.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To be honest the rental market is hot. Confirmed reservations seem to rent well. People want to go to Disney and since availability is tight many are turning to DVC. Just an FYI for the future
That’s also the case because people don’t realize just how little of the rack rooms are in service. It’s not “busy”…they aren’t staffing the hotels for occupancy.

that’s why this “sold out for thanksgiving” is a complete hoax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom