News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBuford

It’s unfortunate to see how nonchalant—approving, even—people are being about habitual rule-breaking at WDW. We shouldn’t get to pick and choose which rules we consider worthy of being followed. It makes things unnecessarily stressful for CMs and unpleasant for those guests for whom masks matter. There’s absolutely no excuse for not following Disney’s current requirements. If you don’t like them, just wait a few months for the policy to change.

G00fyDad

It’s unfortunate to see how nonchalant—approving, even—people are being about habitual rule-breaking at WDW. We shouldn’t get to pick and choose which rules we consider worthy of being followed. It makes things unnecessarily stressful for CMs and unpleasant for those guests for whom masks matter. There’s absolutely no excuse for not following Disney’s current requirements. If you don’t like them, just wait a few months for the policy to change.
Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

Tom P.

A fair point, but it does not make things stressful for the cast members if the cast members don't care. From what I'm hearing from people "on the ground" it sounds as if cast members are basically making no attempt to enforce the mask rules. I think Disney may have gotten to the point where they are paying lip service to the mask requirement until we get through the holidays, but they really don't care if guests follow it or not.

Trauma

A fair point, but it does not make things stressful for the cast members if the cast members don't care. From what I'm hearing from people "on the ground" it sounds as if cast members are basically making no attempt to enforce the mask rules. I think Disney may have gotten to the point where they are paying lip service to the mask requirement until we get through the holidays, but they really don't care if guests follow it or not.
Remember mask wearing is uncommon and no longer required in most of the country, including Florida.

People may be further confused since Disney is advertising they are a mask free resort.

If cast members are not reminding guests of the rules that’s on the cast.

Masking is outside the norm for many in their daily lives, it shouldn’t be assumed they will always remember such an abnormal request.

LittleBuford

Perhaps they're sick of trying. Either way, guests shouldn't be putting them in that position in the first place.

I'm struggling to think of another kind of rule-breaking that would meet with so much indifference and acceptance in this forum.

LittleBuford

Masking is outside the norm for many in their daily lives, it shouldn’t be assumed they will always remember such an abnormal request.
As I understand it, there are signs and announcements throughout the parks. People aren't forgetting; they're deliberately flouting the rules.

And abnormal or not, it isn't a request but a requirement, one that guests agree to of their own volition whenever they enter the parks.

donsullivan

Premium Member
In most cases, those CM’s who are not enforcing the mask mandates are fed up with being berated by guests who refuse to comply with the rules while they are just doing their jobs. After a while of being verbally (And sometimes physically) attacked by enough guests on the topic you just give up for your own sanity. If all the guests followed the rules they agreed to when they walked through the entrance we wouldn’t have a problem.

G00fyDad

Disney should just get rid of the mask mandate

Personal philosophies aside, I think everyone here agrees. However, there has to be at least one "high-up" board member that is clenching their cheeks at the thought of a lawsuit if someone contracts COVID while at the parks.

Yes. I know that it would likely be tossed out as frivolous but it is the only reason I can think of that Disney is hanging on so tight to this right now.

Parker in NYC

Maybe after a year and a half, they’ve reached critical mass. I’m amazed they enforced it successfully for so long. But long story short, a lot of guests suck.

Tom P.

Perhaps they're sick of trying. Either way, guests shouldn't be putting them in that position in the first place.

I'm struggling to think of another kind of rule-breaking that would meet with so much indifference and acceptance in this forum.
No, I agree with you there. That's why my family and I haven't been in the parks yet. I don't want to wear a mask, but I'm not going to violate Disney's rules to do it. I think as long as Disney has the rule in place, people should obey it. And given how quick people on these boards are to jump on any perceived attempt to skirt rules in other areas, I agree it's odd how it's being overlooked in this case.

My point, though, was maybe Disney *wants* it that way at this point. Maybe they are too scared to actually remove the mask mandate for legal reasons (Disney is always conservative to the point of paranoia in that regard), but they don't actually care if people are wearing the masks or not, so the message has gotten around to the cast members to just not enforce it.

Tom P.

Personal philosophies aside, I think everyone here agrees. However, there has to be at least one "high-up" board member that is clenching their cheeks at the thought of a lawsuit if someone contracts COVID while at the parks.
I've got news for Disney. People have already contracted Covid while at the parks. Likely many thousands of times. There is no way a disease this contagious is running around and Disney has been somehow magically protected.

G00fyDad

I've got news for Disney. People have already contracted Covid while at the parks. Likely many thousands of times. There is no way a disease this contagious is running around and Disney has been somehow magically protected.

That seems to be logical reasoning but I am not sure Disney is looking at things logically otherwise they'd have already lifted the regulations. Maybe someone in financial thinks that by keeping the appearance of mask mandates for indoor locations that it will make some people feel okay about coming to the parks?

LittleBuford

I would love to see the rates come down but the numbers in Florida are being played with so much that you cannot trust them. At this point your best chance is to either not go or go and wear your mask regardless of other people.
My thoughts have nothing to do with WDW specifically. I was referring to all indoor spaces where people gather, whether supermarkets or entertainment venues.

Tom P.

My thoughts have nothing to do with WDW specifically. I was referring to all indoor spaces where people gather, whether supermarkets or entertainment venues.
Realistically, though, that's not going to happen. Like it or not, the majority of the country is done with mask requirements. There is really no point in Disney being the outlier at this stage.

LittleBuford

No, I agree with you there. That's why my family and I haven't been in the parks yet. I don't want to wear a mask, but I'm not going to violate Disney's rules to do it. I think as long as Disney has the rule in place, people should obey it. And given how quick people on these boards are to jump on any perceived attempt to skirt rules in other areas, I agree it's odd how it's being overlooked in this case.

My point, though, was maybe Disney *wants* it that way at this point. Maybe they are too scared to actually remove the mask mandate for legal reasons (Disney is always conservative to the point of paranoia in that regard), but they don't actually care if people are wearing the masks or not, so the message has gotten around to the cast members to just not enforce it.
I agree with your first paragraph but am not convinced by the second. That said, I have no knowledge of the behind-the-scenes workings of WDW, so perhaps you're right.

disneygeek90

Realistically, though, that's not going to happen. Like it or not, the majority of the country is done with mask requirements. There is really no point in Disney being the outlier at this stage.
Disney is very much different than a local grocery store or movie theater. I think it’s pretty obvious why they’re the outlier.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
butts GIF

Yes. I know that it would likely be tossed out as frivolous but it is the only reason I can think of that Disney is hanging on so tight to this right now.

There's four federal lawsuits against DCL right now from passengers who allegedly caught Covid while on a cruise.

Disney's being overly cautious.

Tom P.

There's four federal lawsuits against DCL right now from passengers who allegedly caught Covid while on a cruise.

Disney's being overly cautious.
A cruise line is a very different situation than a theme park. There is literally no way anyone could ever provide that they caught Covid, or any other virus, in a particular location. It is impossible. People on cruises can at least make the argument that they are a "captive audience" for an entire week, so to speak, and therefore the odds are that it came from the cruise. But even then, it would be difficult to actually prove, especially if the person got off the ship at any ports of call. But a theme park? Forget it. Not a chance of proving it.

Bottom line: I don't think suits of this kind against cruise operators will be successful, but even if they were, I think the legal risk to Walt Disney World of removing a mask policy is absolutely zero. Particularly since doing so would simply be bringing them in line with literally every other theme park and amusement park in the entire nation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom