News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trauma

Now now let’s not throw common sense around in this forum as we all know that has gone out the window a LONG time ago.

I’m just tired of the nonsense at this point. Last week I attended a theater where you had to show proof of vax to enter (good rule) and yet they still required mask wearing 100% of the time. Again, total nonsense that doesn’t “follow the science.”
To relate this to Disney and the mask mandate, I know some myself included argued for proof of vaccination for Disney World.

It would now seem that maybe even this would be a point of contention for a drop in mitigations since it seems our definition of “vaccinated” is going to be examined.

The Mom

Premium Member
People have been asked to stay on the topic of mask policy at WDW, as many are reading this thread to find this out before taking an already scheduled trip, or making a decision about planning one. It is not about Covid in general, a mask debate, making snide remarks about other posters,states, cities, etc.

The next person to post anything not specifically related to the current mask policy at WDW will get a warning. After that, they will no longer be able to post in this thread.
Just a reminder.

Chip Chipperson

I wish they would at least provide guidance on what criteria they are using for their decision making. If it's just an arbitrary "we think it's the right thing to do" then put out a statement to that effect.

Orange County will likely be in the "moderate" community transmission category within a day or two. At that level, the CDC recommends that unvaccinated people should wear a mask in public, indoor settings.

If only WDW didn't have their hands tied on vaccine checks. Yes, they technically can ask for proof and allow guests to go unmasked indoors if vaccinated, but the inconvenient reality is that there's no realistic way to enforce that and nobody in this thread has been able to suggest a way to do so. It's either "everybody" or "nobody" with regards to mandatory indoor masking. The only way to ensure that only vaccinated guests go maskless is to only allow vaccinated guests through the gates. I'd be all for that, but it's not possible at the moment (and debatable at best as to whether they would even do so if they could).

DisneyCane

If only WDW didn't have their hands tied on vaccine checks. Yes, they technically can ask for proof and allow guests to go unmasked indoors if vaccinated, but the inconvenient reality is that there's no realistic way to enforce that and nobody in this thread has been able to suggest a way to do so. It's either "everybody" or "nobody" with regards to mandatory indoor masking. The only way to ensure that only vaccinated guests go maskless is to only allow vaccinated guests through the gates. I'd be all for that, but it's not possible at the moment (and debatable at best as to whether they would even do so if they could).
There is a very realistic way to do it. You could get a wristband at a location where you show your proof of vaccination and get a mask free wristband that changes color and patterns by day. They do this for proof of being 21 to purchase alcohol at some stadiums and many concerts/festivals. It isn't rocket science. For faster service you could upload the proof to MDE and then scan and have a machine spit out the band to wear.

Chip Chipperson

There is a very realistic way to do it. You could get a wristband at a location where you show your proof of vaccination and get a mask free wristband that changes color and patterns by day. They do this for proof of being 21 to purchase alcohol at some stadiums and many concerts/festivals. It isn't rocket science. For faster service you could upload the proof to MDE and then scan and have a machine spit out the band to wear.

Sure, but the difference between being indoors in a WDW gift shop or getting alcohol at a concert is that someone is standing right in front of you to verify that you have the wristband before selling you the drink or allowing you to enter the VIP section, but at WDW there are crowds of people standing around looking at different merch and just trying to make their way through the sea of people blocking the walkway. There's no way the CMs could possibly see the wrists of every guest walking around to enforce it. The only real opportunity to enforce it would be when the guest is checking out (if they decided to purchase something) - and by then it's really too late since they've been in the shop for who knows how long before making their way to the register. It's not like there's a 1:1 ratio of CMs to guests in the shops.

DisneyCane

Sure, but the difference between being indoors in a WDW gift shop or getting alcohol at a concert is that someone is standing right in front of you to verify that you have the wristband before selling you the drink or allowing you to enter the VIP section, but at WDW there are crowds of people standing around looking at different merch and just trying to make their way through the sea of people blocking the walkway. There's no way the CMs could possibly see the wrists of every guest walking around to enforce it. The only real opportunity to enforce it would be when the guest is checking out (if they decided to purchase something) - and by then it's really too late since they've been in the shop for who knows how long before making their way to the register. It's not like there's a 1:1 ratio of CMs to guests in the shops.
Of course you are coming from the perspective that it would need to be strictly enforced. My perspective is minor deterrent and I couldn't really care less if unvaccinated people aren't masking.

sullyinMT

That is a very real and logical way to do it now (vaccine check and unmasked only for vaccinated guests). Especially with international guests returning, we know 100% of the air passengers are vaccinated.

Disney today will allow a mobile order of a draft Yuengling. You won’t be picking it up without an ID, however. Doing vaccine checks at the Emporium or Five & Dime doors would be no different.

The difference is that, once inside those places, and even more so rides and queues, WDW management either doesn’t have the staff or desire to be checking for wristbands and reminding guests to kindly mask up if they don’t have the proper identification as being vaccinated. Whenever the current policy changes, it will be back to the honor system.

Trauma

That is a very real and logical way to do it now (vaccine check and unmasked only for vaccinated guests). Especially with international guests returning, we know 100% of the air passengers are vaccinated.

Disney today will allow a mobile order of a draft Yuengling. You won’t be picking it up without an ID, however. Doing vaccine checks at the Emporium or Five & Dime doors would be no different.

The difference is that, once inside those places, and even more so rides and queues, WDW management either doesn’t have the staff or desire to be checking for wristbands and reminding guests to kindly mask up if they don’t have the proper identification as being vaccinated. Whenever the current policy changes, it will be back to the honor system.
This is well put.

At the end of the day It seem like the end doesn’t justify the means.

It would be a considerable undertaking to put everything in place for a wristband system for masking to work.

If we all agree the end goal is to have no masking requirements at all, it would seem counterproductive to have a stop gap measure.

disneygeek90

It's getting cooler out now. What happens when people wear long sleeves? I don't see CM's asking people to roll up their sleeves so they can check.

Tom P.

I think they may try and wait through the Christmas weeks due to level of crowds.
The problem with that is that there are always going to be ebbs and flows to crowds. Yes, I know the Christmas/New Year's week is an outlier, but it only calms down briefly after the first of the year before you get into other holidays, special events, and so forth. There is just never going to be a time when Disney can say "okay, it's safe now, because crowds are going to stay light."

Chi84

Premium Member
I think Disney could enforce wristbands, but not very well. It's probably a moot point because I really don't see them doing it. In order to justify the headaches of enforcing such a thing, there would have to be some indication - at this point in the pandemic with vaccination widely available - of how much difference it would make. (Not saying masks weren't highly effective at WDW pre-vaccine.) I think they'll wait a little to see how the numbers settle, then just drop the masks as is being done everywhere else.

JoeCamel

I think Disney could enforce wristbands, but not very well. It's probably a moot point because I really don't see them doing it. In order to justify the headaches of enforcing such a thing, there would have to be some indication - at this point in the pandemic with vaccination widely available - of how much difference it would make. (Not saying masks weren't highly effective at WDW pre-vaccine.) I think they'll wait a little to see how the numbers settle, then just drop the masks as is being done everywhere else.
Enforcement once you are checked is not the problem. Like every other vax passport system it relies on people proving it. The card proves nothing so whacha gonna check?

Trauma

So you're admitting that it can't be enforced the way you said it could?
It isn’t enforced the way I would like to see it enforced, for reasons that I’m having trouble articulating but it goes something like this.

I’m traveling to the parks with the presupposition that masking will be enforced indoors.

Im using that information to inform my risk assessment and what I consider appropriate for my family.

I arrive at the parks to discover that masking is not enforced in a more serious manner and feel uncomfortable with the situation.

What do I do now?

Its a bad outcome no matter your perspective.

If you prefer not masking your not happy.

If you do want masks you feel it’s not sufficiently enforced and also not happy.

This of course would be considered a compromise. Doing the best that can be done.

I don’t like compromises with my health though and when I was last at the parks if masking was of value to me I would have been extremely uncomfortable.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
10 minutes down the road, USO, no mask mandate indoor or outdoor. Posted one of their most profitable seasons ever. There are no bodies pilling up along the streets and no lawsuits.

Disney, mask mandates and posted a loss. It won't be long until they follow USO. Look no further than Bobby C. He creatively disabled the parks and cut everything down to the bone in an effort to show "cost cuts" as "profits", so he has no choice but to increase profits by dropping mask mandates and follow in the steps of USO then claim he's a genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom