Disney, Marvel & Universal's Tangled Web

fillerup

Original Poster
From today's Orlando Sentinel - Jason Garcia

Marvel superheroes could pose antitrust risk for Disney, Universal

Spider-Man has Walt Disney World and Universal Orlando in a web that legal experts say could put the rival resorts at risk of antitrust complaints.

The issue stems from the Walt Disney Co.’s recently completed, $4 billion purchase of Marvel Entertainment, the comic-book company that has for years licensed its superheroes for use in Universal theme parks. And it underscores the awkward marriage that has been forced upon Disney World and Universal Orlando, two resorts that have long been intense, sometimes bitter, competitors.

Through a 15-year-old licensing contract between Marvel and an arm of NBC Universal — a contract Disney inherited when it bought Marvel — Universal Orlando is the only theme park on the U.S. East Coast that can use some of Marvel’s best-known characters, including Spider-Man, the Incredible Hulk and the X-Men.

But the contract also gives Disney a number of rights over Universal, including the ability to audit Universal Orlando’s books, to ensure it is paying the appropriate amount of royalties, and the power to review Universal’s promotional materials when they feature Marvel characters.

That, antitrust lawyers say, creates a problematic scenario for both Disney World and Universal Orlando, which together command about 90 percent of Central Florida’s theme-park market. Because Disney, through Marvel, now has access to proprietary information about Universal, the companies could become vulnerable to charges of price-fixing or other anticompetitive behavior.

While Disney World and Universal Orlando often appear to raise ticket prices nearly in lockstep, sharing confidential information could conceivably allow them to actually plan in concert everything from stroller-rental rates to future discounts.

“What an antitrust regulator would be concerned about very clearly is the notion that Disney and Universal would be able to coordinate their activities in the theme-park business,” said Randal Picker, a commercial-law professor at the University of Chicago. “You’d really want to be careful with this.”

In what experts say is likely a bid to pre-empt any such complaints, Disney and Universal recently signed an agreement in which corporate Disney promised not to share with its theme-park division any of the confidential details it might learn about Universal Orlando through the Marvel license.

The agreement specifically precludes the Disney Co. from providing Walt Disney World or Walt Disney Parks and Resorts with any confidential information about Universal Orlando that could be used “for anticompetitive purposes.” Universal disclosed the agreement in a recent filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

Experts say it appears Disney and Universal are attempting to establish a kind of information firewall to prevent even the appearance of illegal collusion. The federal government sometimes imposes similar “hold separate” restrictions on companies as a condition of approving a merger, though such orders are typically temporary — until, for instance, the newly combined company can shed its antitrust conflict.

“This looks like a ‘fix-it-first’ attempt to avoid any appearance that there’s price collusion going on. That’s what the concern would be if I were an antitrust enforcer,” said William Page, a senior associate dean at the University of Florida’s Levin College of Law and a former attorney in the U.S. Department of Justice’s antitrust division.

The Marvel licensing contract, Page noted, creates “a direct avenue of potential communication between competitors in the theme-park market.”

Experts also say it’s possible Disney’s agreement with Universal was needed to appease the Justice Department as part of an antitrust review conducted last fall of Disney’s acquisition of Marvel. Regulators did examine the transaction, though they ultimately signed off without public comment.

“It might be that Disney offered this to the Justice Department as a way of calming some concerns,” said Herbert Hovenkamp, a professor and antitrust expert at the University of Iowa law school.

Some say they think Disney could have been forced into the non-disclosure pact. Universal, for example, could have threatened to challenge the Marvel deal with regulators unless such a concession was made, said Keith Rounsaville, an antitrust lawyer at Littchford & Christopher, a commercial-litigation firm in Orlando.

“That’s probably something that Universal demanded not to challenge the transaction,” Rounsaville said. “If I were Universal, it would obviously be of grave concern to me to have my primary competitor have the ability to use my current financial information.”

A spokesman for Universal declined to discuss the agreement. A spokesman for Disney called the arrangement “standard practice among media companies” but would not comment further.

Whatever the motivation, the agreement is another example of the strange bedfellows that have been made by the Disney-Marvel merger. Marvel has a number of other character licenses that Disney must honor, including pacts with rival movie studios such as Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures and Twentieth Century Fox.

Universal, which doesn’t want to abandon its Marvel rights after having invested heavily to build Marvel Super Island in its Islands of Adventure theme park, now must pay millions of dollars a year in royalties to the corporate parent of its archrival. Disney, meanwhile, finds itself unable to use the most popular characters from its pricey new studio in Orlando, at the company’s biggest, most visited theme-park resort. (Universal Parks & Resorts also holds exclusive theme-park rights to Spider-Man in Japan, where Disney operates the two-park Tokyo Disney Resort.)

The non-disclosure agreement is not absolute: Either Disney or Universal can cancel the confidentiality pact after two years.
Picker, the University of Chicago law professor, said that provision likely reflects that both Disney and University realize they are on unfamiliar terrain with each other.

“I take it they’re trying to get a feel for how this pretty complicated relationship is going to work,” Picker said. “Situations like this are incredibly tricky.”

Jason Garcia can be reached at jrgarcia@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5414.

DisneyWales

Well if Universal wanted to, they could give up the licence! I want be too hard for them to change Super Hero Island to Sci-Fi Island, themed like the land in the just opening Universal Shanghai!!!!!

They could change Spiderman to Transformers, there is a Storm ride already in Sci-fi land with a different theme, and then they just need to rebrand Hulk (Battlestar retheme?!!?) and Doom, maybe add a new attraction for the whole NEW LAND thing!!

They get outta this whole Disney Licensing mess, plus they get a new attraction/land to advertise!

Granted not for say another 3-5 years, but if they wanted to they could plan this well to drive interest and hype for when the Potterland newness factor rubs off!

To be honest, i think eventually dropping the Marvel Theme from IOA would be good in the long run, but i guess if they hold onto the licence, they stop WDW from gaining a Super Hero Land of sorts so who knows????!?!

SirGoofy

I'm sure this was looked over when the deal went through the government in the first place.

Spider-Man isn't leaving Superhero Island anytime soon.

kcnole

To be honest, i think eventually dropping the Marvel Theme from IOA would be good in the long run, but i guess if they hold onto the licence, they stop WDW from gaining a Super Hero Land of sorts so who knows????!?!

Bingo. IOA's Superhero Island is very popular still so they don't want to get rid of it. Even if they could, knowing that Disney would then snap up these profitable characters and use them to compete against them is enough to keep it there as long as they can.

They'll prefer to dance with the devil and keep these licenses away from him then quit the tango but give him exactly what he wants.

DisneyMusician2

I don't think non-story is accurate, as it does put the royalties that Universal will pay Disney in the millions. That has to be a little sore point at Universal management.

In a way, Disney now profits by the success of Universal's parks and rides involving Marvel. I would say that it is the close connection in profit, not IP that has some government officials concerned. Competition is good for business, and this may detract from that in a way.

_Scar

I wonder why Dis doesn't try to change the name to Disney - Marvel or something bogus like that.

Anywho, hope Spidey doesn't leave. That'd be a complete tradgedy- and Transformers suck.

PhilharMagician

Well I wonder what will happen in the next few years. IoA opened in may of 99' so the contact has to be getting close to the end.

Will WDC sign a new contract with Universal?

Will WDC let the contract run out and move forward with the Marvel characters in Disney theme parks?

I would almost lean towards Disney signing a new contract. They make millions currently, and I would have to assume that they could drive up the liscencing pricetag just so Universal does not have to invest in retheming the area. Another potention problem is if Uni rethemes the Marvel island area it will draw in big crowd for new "stuff"

Disney currently does not have a place to put the Marvel characters. They really do not fit in any of the WDW them parks except for DHS and DHS does not have a lot of room to work with. I just don't see much with Marvel in the parks.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Thought it was established it was a rolling contract, and to be honest If I read the story correctly the accusation is that they are working together rather than fighting over things, and that its this that isnt good for competition. But given the competition is co owned by one parties owners Im confused.com as to what the soappy bubble is. Thats why I think its a non story.

DisneyWales

It's Singapore, not Shanghai. If only Universal had built the proposed Gotham City/Metropolis lands instead of MSI, they wouldn't be in this mess... :p

See thats what I get for not checking my facts before I post!!! :p

But yeah, I know Uni are going to want to recoup their investment from Potterland, and as it stands now, Marvel and Disney still appear to be two separate entities.

The second the Marvel and Disney logos star becoming associated with each other i think Uni should make a move to reduce the association of Marvel and Uni.

RSoxNo1

Does anyone know what is meant by the confidentiality agreement can be terminated after 2 years? That was seemingly a throw away line, and could have very important ramifications. Does that effect the character usage, or just the ability for Disney to see Universal's books?

As to those people that say "Spiderman is the best ride ever, they can't change it." The thing is, the Spiderman theme works for the ride, but it's really the combination of various theme park elements, into an amazing ride system that makes it a fantastic attraction. A good story with a different theme can be just as good if not better.

Having said that, Spiderman is a better attraction than Curse of DarKastle at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. If they can pick a new theme for the "Amazing" attraction, the other attractions in Marvel Superhero Island will not be difficult to re-theme.

jt04

Does anyone know what is meant by the confidentiality agreement can be terminated after 2 years? That was seemingly a throw away line, and could have very important ramifications. Does that effect the character usage, or just the ability for Disney to see Universal's books?

As to those people that say "Spiderman is the best ride ever, they can't change it." The thing is, the Spiderman theme works for the ride, but it's really the combination of various theme park elements, into an amazing ride system that makes it a fantastic attraction. A good story with a different theme can be just as good if not better.

Having said that, Spiderman is a better attraction than Curse of DarKastle at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. If they can pick a new theme for the "Amazing" attraction, the other attractions in Marvel Superhero Island will not be difficult to re-theme.

Exactly. Universal has the headache with this deal not Disney. And since the consensus is Universal would never give up Marvel, it makes me believe that is exactly what they will do.

Writing those checks to the mouse will be deemed a poor business plan in the long run when the fix is so obvious. Spiderman will be playing second fiddle to Potter and ultimately Uni will realize they just don't need Marvel to sell tickets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom