Disney making Dumbo Remake

Animaniac93-98

Hopefully this means that Disney will finally realize that maybe making a million live action remakes of their animated films isn't the best idea.

Then again, Aladdin and The Lion King are bound to be hits, so...

I'm wondering if Aladdin will meet expectations. Originally they were hoping it would do as well as BatB, but the projected opening weekend is currently well below that (even counting the holiday Monday).

Beauty and the Beast (3-day opening weekend): $174 million

Aladdin (4-day opening weekend projection): up to $115 million

Wouldn't be surprised if, like Dumbo, it comes below that. They're running out of time to hype it & turn around opinions from the first trailer.

If Lion King doesn't do as expected you can bet Disney will slam the breaks on these remakes, at least the ones not in production like Mulan.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Hopefully this means that Disney will finally realize that maybe making a million live action remakes of their animated films isn't the best idea.

Then again, Aladdin and The Lion King are bound to be hits, so...

I'm wondering if Aladdin will meet expectations. Originally they were hoping it would do as well as BatB, but the projected opening weekend is currently well below that (even counting the holiday Monday).

Beauty and the Beast (3-day opening weekend): $174 million

Aladdin (4-day opening weekend projection): up to $115 million

Wouldn't be surprised if, like Dumbo, it comes below that. They're running out of time to hype it & turn around opinions from the first trailer.

If Lion King doesn't do as expected you can bet Disney will slam the breaks on these remakes, at least the ones not in production like Mulan.

Don't bet on it. They'll just push them to the Disney+ service.

Remember Disney is all about content now. So they'll be making MORE content not less. So it'll only be a question of budget and where it gets its first run (theaters or streaming), not if it gets made.

Tick Tock

Dumbo's a dud. It fell 60% in its second weekend and has only made $76 million in its first 10 days of release.
I'm wondering if this is more to do with Tim Burton's name being attached to the project, after the not-so-favorable opinions many people had with the Alice films... or, like others have suggested, remake fatigue.
Or another possibility could be that while the animated Dumbo was a likable classic, it just doesn't have the story, action, and draw like bigger names such as BatB, Aladdin, Jungle Book, etc. to get people in theater seats for a remake (?)

I almost skipped the Dumbo remake in theaters altogether because of Burton's involvement. As mentioned earlier, I couldn't stand his Alice films, but was pleasantly surprised with Dumbo.

Aladdin's results will definitely answer whether it was Burton's reputation or remake burnout that hurt the elephant.

Brer Panther

Don't bet on it. They'll just push them to the Disney+ service.

Remember Disney is all about content now. So they'll be making MORE content not less. So it'll only be a question of budget and where it gets its first run (theaters or streaming), not if it gets made.
Dang, I didn't even think of that. You're probably right.

Besides, Alice Through the Looking Glass flopped too and that didn't prevent Disney from greenlighting more live-action remakes...

Animaniac93-98

I'm wondering if this is more to do with Tim Burton's name being attached to the project, after the not-so-favorable opinions many people had with the Alice films... or, like others have suggested, remake fatigue. Or another possibility could be that while the animated Dumbo was a likable classic, it just doesn't have the story and draw like bigger names such as BatB, Aladdin, Jungle Book, etc. to get people in theater seats for a remake (?)

Historically, Dumbo has never been among Disney top selling home video titles so I think the demand was always going to be lesser to begin with, but I think in general it was a poor choice for a remake.

Besides, Alice Through the Looking Glass flopped too and that didn't prevent Disney from greenlighting more live-action remakes...

Or a sequel to Maleficent.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom