News Disney MagicMobile Service coming soon beginning with Apple devices

drnilescrane

But making such a change would require millions of hotel door locks to be changed around the world which isn’t a practical reality.
Door locks get replaced all the time. Some hotels have brand new locks, some are still rocking magstripe. The likes of VingCard already offer retrofit kits and software updates. If the hotel owner and brand wants to offer the feature they will. At least give them the choice.

Everybody updated their credit card readers to support EMV, then rushed to add contactless last year when we (in hindsight, mistakenly) thought COVID spread through surfaces. It's really not a barrier to adoption.

At least in the current moment, BT based door unlocking sucks. It doesn't work reliably, and a lot of owners (including Disney) neglect to put the Bluetooth modules on their common doors (again, Polynesian pool gates. Can't use the app to open that gate).

donsullivan

Premium Member
Door locks get replaced all the time. Some hotels have brand new locks, some are still rocking magstripe. The likes of VingCard already offer retrofit kits and software updates. If the hotel owner and brand wants to offer the feature they will. At least give them the choice.

Everybody updated their credit card readers to support EMV, then rushed to add contactless last year when we (in hindsight, mistakenly) thought COVID spread through surfaces. It's really not a barrier to adoption.

At least in the current moment, BT based door unlocking sucks. It doesn't work reliably, and a lot of owners (including Disney) neglect to put the Bluetooth modules on their common doors (again, Polynesian pool gates. Can't use the app to open that gate).
Sounds like you are a candidate to stick with MagicBands when visiting Walt Disney World to meet your needs. There is nothing in this announcement that ’requires’ anyone to use this new model. They did say it is rolling out in phases after all.

lazyboy97o

More they turned back on the already there contactless module that was disabled for “reasons.” /rant

ZachPL

I can't speak for Android, but on Apple devices it uses the inbuilt native Wallet app, so does not require any additional apps to be installed. (You obviously do need My Disney Experience, but that is a given these days)

From what I understand this will use google pay built in wallet on android, so in theory it should work on wearOS watches. Unfortunately the best android watches right now are samsungs and they run their own OS Tizen which only supports samsung pay wallet and samsung pay doesn't allow for third parties to use their API, so there is no way this will work with these watches unless samsung makes a pretty big change..

Rider

More they turned back on the already there contactless module that was disabled for “reasons.” /rant
When I worked at a bank 10 years ago we were just rolling out contactless cards. I used mine at McDonald's a few times because they were one of the few places that had the readers. Most people didn't know the cards could do that and a few asked for cards without the feature. Within a year the bank said they would just take it out of all new cards going forward.

Then Apple Pay came a few years later and suddenly contactless was back in fashion. Not sure when they readded it to the cards themselves but all of mine have it again.

lazyboy97o

When I worked at a bank 10 years ago we were just rolling out contactless cards. I used mine at McDonald's a few times because they were one of the few places that had the readers. Most people didn't know the cards could do that and a few asked for cards without the feature. Within a year the bank said they would just take it out of all new cards going forward.

Then Apple Pay came a few years later and suddenly contactless was back in fashion. Not sure when they readded it to the cards themselves but all of mine have it again.
I get that because I’m sure they is some expense associated with them being in the card that adds up. What I don’t understand is places that buy readers that include NFC and then go through the effort to it off, and at even a regional chain like Publix that is hundreds of reads where someone is taking the time to disable the feature. I’m aware that some chains like Publix got roped into CurrentC with Target and Walmart but once that potential nightmare fell apart, why keep turning it off?

drnilescrane

I get that because I’m sure they is some expense associated with them being in the card that adds up. What I don’t understand is places that buy readers that include NFC and then go through the effort to it off, and at even a regional chain like Publix that is hundreds of reads where someone is taking the time to disable the feature. I’m aware that some chains like Publix got roped into CurrentC with Target and Walmart but once that potential nightmare fell apart, why keep turning it off?
There are some actual backend changes needed to make it work.

A lot of places got shiny new pin pads but left them in swipe mode and didn't touch all the technology behind it. Now that EMV, especially Quick EMV, is universal there's really no excuse.

Plus, yes, people really did want to reserve the right to do their own mobile wallet. Even Disney kicked the idea around for about 5 seconds. They love the idea of ACH payments with no interchange fees.

Last edited:

Rider

My Publix has contactless again now.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Just used it today at AK. Worked great. I surprised the cast member at the ticket entry point. I was the first person he saw use it.

My daughter is special needs so we have a disability pass. It worked for that also.
Glad it worked well for you!

donsullivan

Premium Member
My Publix has contactless again now.
Yeah, Publix had the hardware for ages but finally turned turned it on last spring to enable contactless payments in the early stages of the pandemic lockdowns.

Last edited:

Turtlekrawl

I’m wondering - my 12 yo daughter doesn’t have her own MDX account yet, but she does have an iPhone. She uses my MDX login on her phone to explore. Can we put her pass on BOTH her phone and on mine?

I was playing with it this AM, and didn’t want to create her pass in my Apple wallet if it will prevent her from being able to have it in her phone as well.

DCBaker

Premium Member
I’m wondering - my 12 yo daughter doesn’t have her own MDX account yet, but she does have an iPhone. She uses my MDX login on her phone to explore. Can we put her pass on BOTH her phone and on mine?

I was playing with it this AM, and didn’t want to create her pass in my Apple wallet if it will prevent her from being able to have it in her phone as well.

I'm not sure if this specifically addresses your issue, but it does say you can share passes in Apple wallet -

IMG_85EFC89A788A-1.jpeg

GabeP

I do. I like having a physical ticket to hand to TSA and the gate agent.

Indeed. I haven’t been using magic bands this whole time. I like the idea of having my AP and resort info in my phone / watch though.
Unless it's changed, if you're flying SWA and there's more than 1 in your party, you can't use your phone as a boarding pass for everyone..you had to print them out.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

To do this you will create a pass via MDX on your phone for yourself and daughter. You will then share her pass to her devices via your MDX.

Magic Feather

If a guest added only one MagicMobile Pass to their smart device, but that one pass was not the pass of the primary account holder, would that pass function with express mode? Or can only the primary account holder's pass be used with express mode?

brettf22

Premium Member
Just a heads up. I was having problems getting this set up on my iPhone X. Got all the way through to adding it to my Wallet, then got a "There was an error adding 1 pass to Wallet" message. I already had the most recent iOS and MDE versions. Restarted, re-installed, nothing helped. Sent a note to the MDE support email, and got a response that solved my problem. Seems you need to have two-factor authentication turned on. Once I turned it on, everything set up just fine. But I had not seen the requirement for two-factor authentication listed anywhere.

Here's the note I received from Disney MDE Support:

To create a new Disney MagicMobile pass, you must have valid theme park admission or a Resort hotel reservation linked to your Disney account. Please note that Disney MagicMobile features are currently only available on Apple devices. (Support for other devices is coming soon and launching in phases throughout the year.)

First thing, make sure you meet the minimum device requirements to use Disney MagicMobile features in the My Disney Experience app:
  • iPhone: iOS 14.4 or later
  • Apple Watch: WatchOS 7.3 or later
  • My Disney Experience app version 6.13 or later (with Bluetooth technology enabled).

Next, make sure that you've set up Apple Wallet:
  • If you have never used Apple Wallet before, please head to the Wallet app on your device to set up Apple Pay and the ability to add cards to your wallet. Launch Wallet, and tap the (+) to get started. See Set up Apple Pay - Apple Support for additional details.
  • Turn on two-factor authentication for your Apple ID. Go to Settings > [your name] > Password & Security and tap "Turn On Two-Factor Authentication." See Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support for more details.

Once you've done that, head back to the My Disney Experience app to create your Disney MagicMobile pass.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Has anyone been able to confirm whether on-ride PhotoPass works if you only have the iPhone/Watch with you with MagicMobile active yet?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom