News Disney MagicMobile Service coming soon beginning with Apple devices

TikibirdLand

Something that was costing Disney $1-$2 times millions of guests per year is being eliminated.

In it's place is something that will make Disney $3-$4 in profit times times likely at least hundreds of thousands of guests... Actually it'll work out to more than that in profit because the upsell to fancier bands will be easier since there is no default included anymore and of course, the difference in cost to Disney for those other bands is nearly non-existent.

Since they aren't passing any of that savings on to the guests it's pure profit.

As I've mentioned in the past, if they wanted to be consumer friendly, they would set it up so that the default at the time of reservation would be bands being declined but with the ability to select bands and have them still be included in your price.

That way, mom and dad with their iPhones and Apple watches don't need bands and therefore don't waste them but grandparents and young kids still get the benifit of what was included last year in a standard resort stay, if needed without it now becoming a tacked on fee.
sadly, that Disney doesn't exist anymore.

donsullivan

Premium Member
It looks like the general rollout is beginning - I’ve been able to add the MagicMobile pass to Wallet this morning!
I just successfully added my Annual Pass to my iPhone and Apple Watch. I will not have a chance to test actual use until Sunday at Magic Kingdom. This came a little faster than I expected but I’ll be happy to take one more thing (MagicBand puck) off my key ring.

I also noted the pass on the phone and Watch includes a QR code that could be scanned, but it’s not clear what that is for.

Last edited:

durangojim

My wife and I are about to go try it out right now at AK! So excited!
A great way to start the morning, had a balloon fly over us!

Attachments

• BBE9E8F8-77BE-4522-A18D-5B057180A5D2.jpeg
    BBE9E8F8-77BE-4522-A18D-5B057180A5D2.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

durangojim

Ok. If you’re going to use your Apple Watch with AP parking, you have to click the button to open the wallet and then click on the pass to show the bar code on screen. The parking attendant reader will not use the chip to read your pass.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Ok. If you’re going to use your Apple Watch with AP parking, you have to click the button to open the wallet and then click on the pass to show the bar code on screen. The parking attendant reader will not use the chip to read your pass.
Interesting. those Devices can read the RFID in cards and bands. I wonder if this is just a CM training Issue or (more likely) the software for the handheld scanners had not yet been updated?

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Interesting. those Devices can read the RFID in cards and bands. I wonder if this is just a CM training Issue or (more likely) the software for the handheld scanners had not yet been updated?
I was told there is a software issue on the parking booths, and it is coming.

Walt Disney World's MagicMobile rolls out to more guests and first impressions of using it in the parks​

MyMagicPlus_Full_41490.jpg

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
I was told there is a software issue on the parking booths, and it is coming.
Makes sense. These are the sorts of things that remind us all how many moving parts there are to make any sort of update or change at WDW. You can never just flip one switch to turn something on which is why the WDW website states that the service will be ‘Launching in Phases’ this year.

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
Tap on the 3 dots in the black circle just above the Wallet card on the right. It will slide over and show the details of the card which includes the QR code.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I would assume it could also be used for resort charging.
According to the Walt Disney World website, room charge is a ‘coming soon’ feature. I would expect this whole thing to be a rolling rollout over time with various features being added over the course of the year.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Is this going to include the "photopass" long distance scanning that MagicBands have too?
The only thing we know specifically are the details that can be found on the link I posted above. It‘s clear they are launching with basic functionality for admissions and FP (if it was available for anything but RotR) right now and then additional features will slowly be added over the course of the year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom