News Disney MagicMobile Service coming soon beginning with Apple devices

durangojim

Just saw this went live although on my account it still says "Coming soon". I see some reporting that you can link your ticket up to Apple Wallet and Apple Watch. Anybody here having it work yet?

JohnD

Just saw this went live although on my account it still says "Coming soon". I see some reporting that you can link your ticket up to Apple Wallet and Apple Watch. Anybody here having it work yet?
A0C652A6-F252-4970-A3F0-ABE457144B9C.png

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
There’s one thing in particular that would actually tip me over the edge to this new method of using Apple devices.... Disney make official Apple Watch straps.
Surely that’s on the way to go alongside magic bands?
Yes I can very well see Disney Apple Watch bands in the future. There is already the Apple Watch Disney faces.

Virtual Toad

I used something similar at Disneyland's FP touch points with my phone in 2019, and I have to say, I had a bit of trouble using it. Hopefully the tech has improved since then and hopefully Magic Bands will still be available.

I also read on another site that Disney is greatly expanding mobile ordering and limiting in-person CMs at food service cash registers, again at Disneyland but not sure how much of it will find its way to WDW.

Maybe I'm getting older, but part of the fun of a vacation is putting the #$## smartphone away for awhile. Staring down at the phone all day or relying on it during park time seems like an added hassle instead of an added convenience, especially during trips with the family. But I'm sure there are differing opinions.

raymusiccity

I think this is a nice touch. However, it does require carrying extra batteries which I do already. I lean towards the magic bands because they are convenient and fun to wear.
What i don't understand is Disney stating:
"the pass works without waking up the device or using FaceID or TouchID, and can also work when out of usable battery life."
How is that supposed to work!?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
"the pass works without waking up the device or using FaceID or TouchID, and can also work when out of usable battery life."
On Apple devices, the system will allow advanced NFC features including an Express Mode, which allows the device to be used for access without FaceID/TouchID, and the ability to work for several hours after the battery is exhausted.

SpectroMagician

My guess (and really only plausible explanation) is the unique passive RFID number on your Apple device is registered with Disney, so it scans the passive RFID number of the Apple Device and Disney connects that to your account. So good to know Disney now has a record of what Apple device is yours.... so if someone hacks that info they can easily spoof it. Also would be super easy for someone to scan your phone when you were not paying attention on the bus or something (since it does not need to be unlocked), and then spoof the RFID number in order to get into your hotel room....

The active one used for your credit cards is much more secure, using a different encrypted RFID code for each transaction.

donsullivan

Premium Member
My guess (and really only plausible explanation) is the unique passive RFID number on your Apple device is registered with Disney, so it scans the passive RFID number of the Apple Device and Disney connects that to your account. So good to know Disney now has a record of what Apple device is yours.... so if someone hacks that info they can easily spoof it. Also would be super easy for someone to scan your phone when you were not paying attention on the bus or something (since it does not need to be unlocked), and then spoof the RFID number in order to get into your hotel room....

The active one used for your credit cards is much more secure, using a different encrypted RFID code for each transaction.
Before the fear mongering misinformation campaigns get started, nothing you've described here is any different than having a MagicBand on your wrist or a Keys to the World card in your pocket. They are all passive RFID devices.

And the hotel room does not used RFID, it uses Bluetooth, which has been available for some time now without any known issues. And Disney has already stated that the room access model will stay the same as it is now. It's a technology used throughout the lodging industry and if it was an actual issue of consequence (not just theoretical) no hotel would be using it.

MrPromey

They are just ADDING an option to access the entitlements for those who choose to use it, not taking anything away from those who can't or do not want to.

I guess that's true regarding the magic band situation... if you don't count more of people's money as "anything". 🤷‍♂️

Of course, what's $5 (per person) more when you're spending $500 a night on a room, right?

For Disney, it amounts to quite a bit if they can get enough people to see it that way.

DisneyDreamerxyz

I work in ticket sales and people are always confused when they are first timers and will come up to me saying " I bought a tickets already online but I have nothing to scan/no barcode ??? how do I get in the park ??

and I have to explain that they will be given a card to use at the touchpoints or they can buy a magic band.

This will be so nice so guests can choose use their phone to get in.

Of course first timers don't have the app so I often have to explain to them what that is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom