Disney Loosening Workers' Grooming Rules

trendymagic

Original Poster
Just pulled this from the AP:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Disney Loosening Workers' Grooming Rules

By MIKE SCHNEIDER, Associated Press Writer

ORLANDO, Fla. - Mickey Mouse can now sport cornrows, and Minnie can wear hoop earrings.

The Walt Disney Co. is loosening grooming rules for workers at its theme parks, another shift from the squeaky-clean standards set by the company's founder decades ago.

Under a new policy adopted last month, male park workers for the first time can wear braids provided they are above the collar, neatly tied close to the scalp and in straight rows. Female workers have been able to braid their hair for years.

"It is really becoming a mainstream look," said Melissa Valiquette, manager of Costuming, Cast Image and Appearance at Walt Disney World.

Men will also be allowed to wear different styles of shirts, while women can wear more revealing footwear and less conservative earrings. (Hosiery is still a must.)

The changes were based on comments from workers and focus groups involving at least 60 Disney visitors who were shown photos of different clothing and hair styles and asked if they had objections to park workers wearing them.

"We're not looking to be on the cutting edge, but we want to see what styles are becoming mainstream," Valiquette said.

The last time Disney changed its grooming policy was in 2000, when the company allowed workers to grow mustaches. In 1994, female theme-park workers were permitted to use eye shadow and eyeliner and balding men were allowed to wear toupees.

After the changes in 2000, there was a rash of mustache-wearing employees.

"I think cornrows will be different," Valiquette said. "It's not a look that everyone can pull off."

Men who don't wear costumes will no longer be limited to Oxford-style shirts — crewneck, turtleneck, mock turtleneck and three-button collared sweaters will be permitted. Golf and polo shirts are still forbidden.

"Our personal opinion is that golf and polo shirts look nice when they're brand new but they don't look good after you've washed them," Valiquette said. "After you've washed them, they're naturally prone to looking sloppy."

Gary Steverson, a character performer at the Disney-MGM Studios park who likes the strict grooming standards, said the change makes sense.

"It makes us more approachable to guests," Steverson said. "A person in a shirt and tie, how approachable are they?"

Female workers can for the first time wear hoop earrings, provided they are no larger than a dime. Only one ring per ear is permitted and they must be worn on the bottom of the earlobe.

The new grooming rules also allow for some more fancy-free footwear for female workers, who now will be able to wear open-toe and open-heel shoes. Athletic shoes, sandals and western boots are still frowned upon.

Union leaders praised the changes.

"Any additional leeway is a good thing," said Donna-Lynne Dalton, recording secretary for Teamsters Local 385, which represents bus drivers and costumed workers.

Steverson said Disney officials may also be trying to appease workers as they approach negotiating sessions for a new union contract in a few months.

"I think they're trying to change the cold company into a warm company," he said.

Even though Walt Disney wore a mustache, he was a stickler when it came to the grooming of park employees, wanting them to maintain clean-cut images at Disneyland in California and Walt Disney World in Florida.

"Walt was a staunch conservative when it came to appearances but he was definitely a person who believed in changing with the times," Valiquette said

Gregory

hmm... I hope this doesn't ruin the atmosphere... not that this will completely, but I hope it doesn't lead to other things...

One of the many things that makes Disney great is the costumes, and how they are never found in other lands (like, CMs don't walk around), and how they all look nice...

Well, Rob and the other CMs here can start growing their hair to braid :)

mkepcotmgmak

:brick: :mad: :brick: :mad: This is horrible. disney needs to not lower its standards. thats what makes them the best, and sets them apart. i couldn't care less about the hoop rings, but CORNROWS on main street? thats horrible. i see nothing wrong with them outside the park, but MAN, they will not look good in the parks. oh well. not my call, and just my opinion.

burbur

i find straigh cornrows and braids to be almost classy. seriously... it's not the 1950s people. disney still doesn't allow mullets or mohawks, so stop worrying.

SpongeScott

Originally posted by mkepcotmgmak
:brick: :mad: :brick: :mad: This is horrible. disney needs to not lower its standards. thats what makes them the best, and sets them apart. i couldn't care less about the hoop rings, but CORNROWS on main street? thats horrible. i see nothing wrong with them outside the park, but MAN, they will not look good in the parks. oh well. not my call, and just my opinion.
what, what, what is wrong with cornrows?

niteobsrvr

I think cornrows are very classy and have been apart of the African American communties, as well as others, for a very long time.

They certainly look better than the hair-do I saw on a waiter at the Polynesians second floor today. His hair was what one might consider normal around the back and sides. But when you got to the top, it looked like someone had glued 2 inch porcupine quills to it in no particular order. Even more unfortunate was that it conforms to Disney dress code.

In all seriousness folks, the Disney dress code was put together at a time when people in this country still lacked a respect and understanding of the African-American community. The Disney look was based on a 1950's version of a white middle class America. Therefore, I am sure, while not intentional, little if any consideration was given to determining what the Disney-look for a member of the Black Community should be at the time. It is unfortunate that Disney has taken this long to make the change.

As for earrings, a hoop the size of a dime is not large at all and will not be noticeable except for thos specifically searching for such minutia.

I can't really comment about womens shoes having never needed to wear a pair personally. But I can say that if I am trying to have a magical day, I certainly wont be looking at peoples feet. That is unless of course, there is just something noticeably terribly wrong. I doubt this change has little if any effect on costumed cast members. It was probably more geared for office personnel etc.

While the relevancy of some of the Disney company's core ideals will never change, some of the dress code will inevitably have to be altered as we move further and further away from the era in which it was created. This will need to happen in order to continue to attract qualified cast members in a society that supposedly places value on the individual. It will also need to happen in order to keep Disney relevant in the world around it.

Granted it doesn't have to become like other places of business in regards to dress and hygiene, but it does need to allow guests and castmembers to feel comfortable relating to one another.

MicBat

Thanks for the info!... I really dont see that the change is that drastic... It's not as if existing CM would be able to sport corn rolls anyway, if you think about it... In able to braid your hair into cornrolls, your hair must be long. Long hair for males, though, is still forbidden... Only newly hired CM would be able to sport this style...

Erika

I don't want to repeat too much of the earlier thread but I still have to say that these changes don't seem bad to me, although I will agree with Maria that the shoe issue might get confusing.

Mikejakester

I have a question. Are females alowed to wear skirts? I swear I saw a cast member wearing one of those cheerleader kind skirts ( longer of course!) last time i was there. I think it was on Disney Studios I don't remember. If they aren't alowed they should have the option to wear them. I don't know maybe something like those skirts they have as school uniforms. It makes them look more feminine. At least to the yonguer castmembers. Yet again What do I know!?:hammer:

And another question. Is there a rule on HOW SHORT female shorts should be worn?

mkepcotmgmak

Originally posted by SpongeScott
what, what, what is wrong with cornrows?

i see absolutely nothing wrong with cornrows. they look very nice on many. but i look at it this way, and please correct me if i am wrong, *i know someone will* but aren't cornrows kind of a modern day trend/fad. people did not walk around Marceline Missouri in the 20s with cornrows... disney shouldn't allow this for it is out of costume. disney's strict dress code is so that the cms have a "timeless" look, not modern or trendy. i don't think it is a problem at all at maybe epcot or the ak, or MAYBE at the studios, but not the magic kingdom... and think about some of the resorts.... it would be ok for any all stars, or pop century or contemp, and the poly, but not like the boardwalk, or cor... i htink that disney upholds their costuming very well by theming everything, and hair is def. part of theming. in my opinion. please don't hate me or flame me for this opinion either.

mandib

Originally posted by burbur
i find straigh cornrows and braids to be almost classy. seriously... it's not the 1950s people. disney still doesn't allow mullets or mohawks, so stop worrying.

Thank you at least some is in the right decade. Maybe it's because I'm 14 but come on you should see the stuff at school. Disney is still very conservative!

Erika

Originally posted by mkepcotmgmak
i see absolutely nothing wrong with cornrows. they look very nice on many. but i look at it this way, and please correct me if i am wrong, *i know someone will* but aren't cornrows kind of a modern day trend/fad. people did not walk around Marceline Missouri in the 20s with cornrows... disney shouldn't allow this for it is out of costume. disney's strict dress code is so that the cms have a "timeless" look, not modern or trendy. i don't think it is a problem at all at maybe epcot or the ak, or MAYBE at the studios, but not the magic kingdom... and think about some of the resorts.... it would be ok for any all stars, or pop century or contemp, and the poly, but not like the boardwalk, or cor... i htink that disney upholds their costuming very well by theming everything, and hair is def. part of theming. in my opinion. please don't hate me or flame me for this opinion either.

Cornrows are not new by any means. They have been around for thousands of years, and were around during a certain ugly chapter of American history :wave:

TiggerBite

Who's worried about neat and tidy cornrows - when there are men and women out there who DO NOT TAKE CARE OF THEIR LONG HAIR? Long hair on a man does not bother me, especially if it is well taken care of and healthy looking.

What bothers me is seeing a man with long hair that is not healthy looking and frizzy. :hurl: If you can't take care of long hair - don't wear your hair long!

mkepcotmgmak

Originally posted by TiggerBite
Who's worried about neat and tidy cornrows - when there are men and women out there who DO NOT TAKE CARE OF THEIR LONG HAIR? Long hair on a man does not bother me, especially if it is well taken care of and healthy looking.

What bothers me is seeing a man with long hair that is not healthy looking and frizzy. :hurl: If you can't take care of long hair - don't wear your hair long!

thats why disney doesn't allow male cms to have long hair... lol..

Erika - i can't argue with you becuase i do not know any facts on this matter, but if you say that cornrows have been around for a while, then i believe you, and will gladly accept to see them themed on main street usa. lol. thanks!

also, thanks for being nice about it... so many people on this board jump to conclusions and what to yell at you for anything you see... just something i have speculated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom