Disney Library

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Original Poster
Looking for your thoughts on favorite/best/desirable books about Disney, WDW and Disneyland. There are regular references to the historical plans and concepts that I'd like to have a single reference to.

What are some of your favorites/must reads/resources/coffee table must haves?

disneychamp

I have an enormous library of Disney books...here are some excellent ones in the following topics (some may be out of print, so check out ebay and second-hand bookstores):

Disneyland/WDW:
Disneyland: Inside Story by Randy Bright
Designing Disney Theme Parks: the Architecture of Reassurance by K. Marling
Disneyland: the Nickel Tour by D. Mumford and B. Gordon
Since the World Began by Jeff Kurti
Epcot Center: Creating the New World of Tomorrow by R. Beard

Disney (General/Animation):
The Art of Walt Disney by Christopher Finch...original volume from the 70s was huge, updated supplement published in 99 or so.
Disney's Art of Animation by Bob Thomas
The Disney Studio Story by Richard Hollis
Disney: the First 100 Years by Dave Smith
Inside the Dream by the Greenes

The book on Imagineering mentioned above is also great.

Tigggrl

We have Disneyland Souvenir guides that go back to 1957. They have some GREAT pics and info in them!
I also have an extensive library...I will just add a few titles to those already given. I am a HUGE animation fan, so for me Illusion of Life by Ollie Johnston and Bob Thomas...This book is considered the best animation book out there, and I have first edition! :sohappy:
also just won a book on the Disney Villains by the same 2 authors. The Nine Old Men by John Canemaker is also a must have!
Any and all books by Dave Smith. Hes the Man who created the Disney Archives...GREAT historical info!
Check out Ebay...I just saw some great books at great prices!

Captain Hank

Walt Disney Imagineering : A Behind the Dreams Look At Making the Magic Real is by far my favorite Disney book. I also enjoy the Birnbaum guides. Making the Millenium also has a cool look at the making of Illuminations: ROE and TON.

MartyMouse

I think the title is Building a Dream, but I’m not sure, all I know is that is was written by Beth Dunlop and it is by far my favorite Disney book, I read it cover to cover.

I have read the same books most of you guys have but i have also read these books for girls age 7-10 i think when i was 7 i was reading those books... I had always loved Disney but the series "Disney girls" made me love it even more!!! I feel like i am the only one who has heard of those many people have never seen them.... They used to sell at Disney stories a while back maybe 5-6 years ago

Angie

aimster

I only have this:

Since the World Began: Walt Disney World, the First 25 Years

I remember when I was a kid we had an old WDW souvenir book from the late 70's or early 80's.

I also have a book called The Art of Mickey Mouse. It's all Mickey & Mickey inspired artwork by a bunch of artists ranging from Andy Warhol to Ward Kimball to Keith Haring and so on.

ZHoyt

Some good books with a more "serious" approach to Disney include..

Inside the mouse : work and play at Disney World by the Project on Disney
Married to the mouse : Walt Disney World and Orlando by Richard E. Foglesong
Vinyl Leaves: WDW and America by by Stephen Fjellman

maelstrom

Epcot Center: Creating the New World of Tomorrow - Richard R. Beard
Since the World Began - Jeff Kurtti
Disneyland: Inside Story - Randy Bright
Disneyland: the Nickel Tour - Bruce Gordon & David Mumford
The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies - Jason Surrell
Walt Disney Imagineering - The Imagineers
Mouse Tales - David Koenig
The Art and Flair of Mary Blair - John Canemaker

stitch131313

I highly recommend Walt Disney An American Original by Bob Thomas, and I just finished reading this and it is the best book about Walt Disney, How To Be Like Walt by Pat Williams.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Some of my favorites include....

Mouse Tales: A Behind-The-Ears Look at Disneyland, by David Koeing

More Mouse Tales: A Closer Peek Backstage at Disneyland, by David Koeing

Designing Disney: Imagineering and the Art of the Show, by John Hench

The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies, by Jason Surrell

Walt Disney Imagineering: A Behind the Dreams Look at Making the Magic Real, by The Imagineers

The Imagineering Way, by The Imagineers

Designing Disney's Theme Parks: The Architecture of Reassurance, by Karal Ann Marling

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom