Disney Layoffs

Maria

Originally posted by mktiggerman
I still have my job!!! But I'm working (oohhh) 6.5 hours this week.. I'm am now on the search for a second temporary job.

I am very sorry to hear that... I have a friend who works at the Hyatt there and she is working the same as you... she was worried about being able to pay her rent!

Hotels in Cancun are empty! My parents were there last weekend and they were transferred to another hotel b/c theirs was close due to cancellations! Prices are so looooow there now! Might be the time for me to go though...

Mattore

"Layoffs" may not be the best term to describe the situation. I don't know anyone that has actually been terminated... some people are not being utilized right now - but they still have their IDs, and all cast member benefits. I know many Part-time people ARE working, some of them are working equal or greater hours than they work in a normal week.

prberk

Unskilled labor and mightyduck

I completely understand, mightyduck! My brothers are both high school chorus teachers and do a wonderful job, and I work for the county as a tax auditor (and volunteer as a youth outreach leader at my church) -- so I understand. It's just that that first "unskilled labor" comment, while out of the total context, did seem a little insensitive at the time in its context on this thread.

I am cautious of remarks like that because I have known some unskilled labor, many times in my own family, that I feel have worked as hard or harder than many professionals that I know, including myself. I just wanted to preserve their dignity. I was pretty sure that your comments had been benign, but sometimes remarks that are not meant to hurt can hurt nontheless.

No lecture intended.

P.S.: What do you teach, and what has been your students' response to the tragedies? Also, do you find students' work ethic and overall efforts to be promising from day to day, thesedays? I sometimes wonder.

prberk

furloughs, etc.

As for the cutbacks, I am really sorry to hear that, mktiggerman. I am hearing, though, that reservations are starting to pick up again (which they told me when I called to inquire about moving my vacation). I really hope business picks up again soon.

I do think, though, that Disney should start looking at its price overall, and now would be a good time. Lower prices would increase volume, and the publicity of lower prices would help.... So I hope they consider lowering a lot of prices, because before the current tragedies I was concerned that WDW was becoming unreasonable for families...

mightyduck

prberk, my father and brother are phone men...I was raised in a working class household where an illness was enough to set us back a bit. You don't get more blue collar than that. My dad graduated from college in 1998--I've never been more proud. Enough said.

I'm looking for a teaching job at the moment--that's why MrPromey, like some of my other friends around here, has been urging me to relocate.

JAY-ROD

Originally posted by mightyduck
prberk, my father and brother are phone men...I was raised in a working class household where an illness was enough to set us back a bit. You don't get more blue collar than that. My dad graduated from college in 1998--I've never been more proud. Enough said.

I'm looking for a teaching job at the moment--that's why MrPromey, like some of my other friends around here, has been urging me to relocate.

Yeah yeah move to me next to me baby. You can be My neighbor and I would flash you every morning. lol :eek:

nexus

When my wife and I stayed at the Radisson down the street from the Diz. We weren't there 12 hours before we got a note under the door telling us that they had to lay off a good percentage of their staff. The hotel was practically deserted. It made for a quiet stay, but it got kinda eerie after a while. And from what I could tell by driving by, a lot of the support (read: non-Disney property) hotels were nearly empty last weekend.

Very sad...

nexus

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom