Disney Layoffs

Tapestry2000

Original Poster
My mom heard on the radio today that Disney is laying off a lot of people due to what happened last week - park attendence is going down. She should have known this when she called the WDW theme park merchandise number and she was put on hold for 15 minutes - the girl that she was talking to probably got laid off :eek: :eek: .

WDW-Imagineer

Originally posted by Tapestry2000
My mom heard on the radio today that Disney is laying off a lot of people due to what happened last week - park attendence is going down. She should have known this when she called the WDW theme park merchandise number and she was put on hold for 15 minutes - the girl that she was talking to probably got laid off :eek: :eek: .

What's with all of these layoffs. I can't understand the airlines.... they were closed for 3 days and they have to layoff 30,000 people?!? I just don't understand how the airlines can loss so much money. Also, Boeing layed people off... why?? How were they affected?? They make airplanes... they don't make money by having them in the air... only by delivering them.

MrPromey

Re: Re: Disney Layoffs

Originally posted by WDW-Imagineer

What's with all of these layoffs. I can't understand the airlines.... they were closed for 3 days and they have to layoff 30,000 people?!? I just don't understand how the airlines can loss so much money. Also, Boeing layed people off... why?? How were they affected?? They make airplanes... they don't make money by having them in the air... only by delivering them.

In order to remain competitive with each other, the airlines have to run on VERY tight margins. Anything that upsets the normal workings can cause major problems. One airline that was in trouble already, shut down for good in light of last weeks events because they knew it was the last nail in their coffin… You also have to consider that it isn't just a few days without air travel they are dealing with. It will be months of under booked flights due to peoples concerns about flying anywhere they don't have to.

DisneyFreak

Three days may not seem like alot of time but when you consider that over 100,000 flights were cancelled just in those three days the amount of money lost is astronomical. Now factor in the current flights only being 40% capacity at the most and flights still being cancelled daily because of the low number of people flying at this time.

If you figure that each of those 100,000 flights carried 100 passangers at $250 a ticket the airlines lost $2.5 billion just right there.

mightyduck

Re: Re: Disney Layoffs

Originally posted by WDW-Imagineer

Because the airlines are cutting back on flights, they will need fewer planes, not expanded fleets. Study economics and you'll see that it's a big web....

Keysmickey

In Disney's defense...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I'd read that Disney isn't really laying these people off, per se...They have just cancelled their current work schedules. If they were laid off they'd have to be turning in their ID's and such and that isn't the case. So it seems Disney is trying to be optimistic...
:D :D :D :D

MrPromey

Re: In Disney's defense...

Originally posted by Keysmickey
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I'd read that Disney isn't really laying these people off, per se...They have just cancelled their current work schedules. If they were laid off they'd have to be turning in their ID's and such and that isn't the case. So it seems Disney is trying to be optimistic...
:D :D :D :D

It's called a furlough. But in these kinds of instances, it's almost the same thing as being laid off. It basically means the company doesn't fire them but tells them they don't need them right now and doesn't have an exact time when it will. This all sounds nice and fine but most people can't afford to sit and wait for weeks or months for the company to call them and tell them they need their services again. In most cases, the employees have already found other employment at that time... With the possible job shortage coming up in the Orlando area due to employee cutbacks it's possible that some of these cast members may not be able to find other work before Disney calls them back, though.

mightyduck

Re: Re: In Disney's defense...

Originally posted by MrPromey

It's called a furlough. But in these kinds of instances, it's almost the same thing as being laid off. It basically means the company doesn't fire them but tells them they don't need them right now and doesn't have an exact time when it will. This all sounds nice and fine but most people can't afford to sit and wait for weeks or months for the company to call them and tell them they need their services again. In most cases, the employees have already found other employment at that time... With the possible job shortage coming up in the Orlando area due to employee cutbacks it's possible that some of these cast members may not be able to find other work before Disney calls them back, though.

And you encouraging me to move there! :eek:

MrPromey

Re: Re: Re: In Disney's defense...

Originally posted by mightyduck

And you encouraging me to move there! :eek:

Not to work as unskilled labor in the hospitality industry :rolleyes: I'm talking about you becoming independently wealthy and spending all your free time with me. :D That isn't the same thing at all! :p ;)

mightyduck

Re: Re: Re: Re: In Disney's defense...

Not to work as unskilled labor in the hospitality industry :rolleyes: I'm talking about you becoming independently wealthy and spending all your free time with me. :D That isn't the same thing at all! :p ;)

LOL.... my mistake. Sorry--clearly I misunderstood you... ;)

MrPromey

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: In Disney's defense...

LOL.... my mistake. Sorry--clearly I misunderstood you... ;)

You sure did! :mad: I get misunderstood a lot. :( I really know how James Dean's character must have felt... :rolleyes:

prberk

Layoffs hurt everyone

Please be sensitive about the "unskilled labor" comment. Many of these people work the hardest. I know that arguments could be made that they could "better" themselves, but many times they are older or have come here to better themselves from other more menial (sp?) work but have a language barrier. I know that you were not really trying to be insensitive, but I have just come to understand how the economic blow that recent events and consumer fear has dealt will most affect families that are often the least able to take it.

Often these people work harder and have a stronger work ethic overall than white collar workers. And without them, how clean nice and clean would our vacations be?!? ;-)

"Oh beautiful, for patriot's dreams,
Thine alabaster cities gleam, undimmed by human tears."
-- America the Beautiful, 4th verse.

mightyduck

Re: Layoffs hurt everyone

Originally posted by prberk
Please be sensitive about the "unskilled labor" comment. Many of these people work the hardest. I know that arguments could be made that they could "better" themselves, but many times they are older or have come here to better themselves from other more menial (sp?) work but have a language barrier. I know that you were not really trying to be insensitive, but I have just come to understand how the economic blow that recent events and consumer fear has dealt will most affect families that are often the least able to take it.

Often these people work harder and have a stronger work ethic overall than white collar workers. And without them, how clean nice and clean would our vacations be?!? ;-)

"Oh beautiful, for patriot's dreams,
Thine alabaster cities gleam, undimmed by human tears."
-- America the Beautiful, 4th verse.

Sorry, prberk--maybe we forgot not everyone here reads chit chat. I'm a high school teacher, and MrP had told me there was plenty of work to be had in Florida. His comments were specifically directed to me in response to a specific situation.

MrP was responding to my comment. I have a graduate degree--I believe his point was that there is still a shortage of teachers there. No one was commenting on the relative value of skilled or unskilled labor here--just that the type of work I'm looking for is still readily available and not likely to be affected by these layoffs.

I'll also assume your comments about other people working harder are not directed at me-- I don't think you would speak of my work ethic. I'll spare you the lecture, but as a public school teacher I put in long hours in and out of the classroom and my monetary compensation does not reflect my value, either. I know you were not meaning to be insensitive.

Your comments are not disputed here, just out of context in the conversation we were having.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

MrPromey

Re: Re: Layoffs hurt everyone

Sorry, prberk--maybe we forgot not everyone here reads chit chat. I'm a high school teacher, and MrP had told me there was plenty of work to be had in Florida. His comments were specifically directed to me in response to a specific situation.

MrP was responding to my comment. I have a graduate degree--I believe his point was that there is still a shortage of teachers there. No one was commenting on the relative value of skilled or unskilled labor here--just that the type of work I'm looking for is still readily available and not likely to be affected by these layoffs.

I'll also assume your comments about other people working harder are not directed at me-- I don't think you would speak of my work ethic. I'll spare you the lecture, but as a public school teacher I put in long hours in and out of the classroom and my monetary compensation does not reflect my value, either. I know you were not meaning to be insensitive.

Your comments are not disputed here, just out of context in the conversation we were having.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

First, I would like to point out that some of the most important skilled jobs in the world are blue collar. The guys whose job it is to find our fallen Americans in NY are all blue collar workers and I have nothing but respect for these men and women. Unskilled labor is very important as well and I am in no way trying to say they are lazy or in some way, citizens with less worth but… In times when the economy is sinking , they are usually the ones hit first and hit hardest because their options for employment are so limited. In the Orlando area, especially, in the hospitality industry where the ratio of skilled or professional labor to unskilled is something like 1/70, a drop in tourism has a direct impact on the unskilled labor since most of those people work at parks or in shops or restaurants or in hotels… Some of the shops and hotels/motels have decided to close up for a while because it's costing them more to operate right now than they are making . Some of the parks in the area are actually considering doing the same. That along with cutbacks from the places that are staying open, raises the unemployment rate dramatically, and since there is such a large number of unemployed unskilled labor, it's very hard for them to find work. Mighty, being a teacher, doesn’t really have this problem. That's what I was getting at. She could still find a job down here.... Ummm... Mighty? Hint, hint ;)

mightyduck

Re: Re: Re: Layoffs hurt everyone

Mighty, being a teacher, doesn’t really have this problem. That's what I was getting at. She could still find a job down here.... Ummm... Mighty? Hint, hint ;)

;) Thanks, MrP. I'll consider it.... :)

Skipper Timekpr

An imagineer friend of mine told me that for the MK to break even it has to have 22,000 people in the park. Well the other day we got slamed due to all their cutting backs we had huge lines and a skelton staft we had over 50,000 people in the park at the height of the day.

Maria

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: In Disney's defense...

I get misunderstood a lot. :( I really know how James Dean's character must have felt... :rolleyes:

If it helps... I understood your comment... ;)

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I still have my job!!! But I'm working (oohhh) 6.5 hours this week.. I'm am now on the search for a second temporary job.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom