News Disney KiteTails coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom October 1

MrPromey

Seeing these, I can't help but think it's too bad they couldn't have just brought the hot air balloons back, instead...

Kites have a very long and rich history and if they'd gone with more classic designs and stayed away from the air foil/inflatable style as well as the nylon and carbon/fiberglass look of the accompanying kites, this could have been really nice.

It could have been something you don't see at a typical kite festival which was a weird thing for Disney to latch onto as a concept considering most of what you see in the air at those are owned by private individuals - meaning, Disney's concept is based on something that's normally free for viewers and paid for by hobbyists... and a lot of what I've seen in pictures in videos, looks like it could be just that. :/

Not to say they needed to be made of traditional materials but they could have made them look like they were and since they're being kept up with motion, the weight issues with normal kites wouldn't have been the problem it is for most so it really could have stood out as something unique.

They still could have been made two-line kites for control and effects but it would have fit so much better into the area if these had been made to look more traditional and like they were made from natural materails.

Last edited:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
So they basically pull out a large kite or 2 of a Disney character while people stand in front of you with small kite like character things on sticks moving around and then they drive the big kites around in a lagoon for a long period of time while they play a full song or two from the movie?

Did Disney give up and outsource imagineering now or hire a temp agency to come up with this?

MrPromey

The non-ip stunt kites doing synchronized flying in World Showcase Lagoon would have been a nice distraction from the tacos below and would have seemed a lot less out of place in that setting where they'd have also had room to move around and where the staging areas would have been a lot less in-your-face.

But...

Well, I really have no but. They've done it there before during the day and for basic atmosphere entertainment, it felt like it worked. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

trainplane3

Pain:
1632940457757.png

It's interesting. The best parts are the plain kites doing little stunts honestly.

hpyhnt 1000

It's so bad it's good.

I mean, the pinnacle of Disney entertainment this is not, but there is something fun about seeing giant character kites soaring above the water. And watching them face plant into the Asia stands after each segment is rather funny; you could tell the crowd was as into that as anything else.

I do like the idea behind the show of kites, characters, and storytelling. Be great to see this given a bigger budget and a more elaborate (evening?) show created around this concept.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom