Disney is crazy expensive

BigRedDad

We are in our early phase of planning a Summer 2017 trip. I remember just a few (less than 5) years ago when you could go to Disney for $2,000 for a week. Now, with the ticket prices and nickel/diming, it is well over $3,000. Yes, there are places you can cut corners, but you are still impacted by the ticket prices.

We are currently running on the numbers. Since we will have not gone in 2 years, we are deciding to buy Annual Passes. This is due to the resort hotels going to insane prices, get free parking, and free Memory Maker. We just have to plan multiple trips in that AP year. We will also choose to stay offsite simply because the value of staying on property is no longer there. EMH is not much benefit because we usually avoid those parks anyway.

They cheapest of resorts is $1,200 for our initial week visit without a discount. This is at the All Star resorts. If a discount came out, it would still be $1,000. This puts us at $2,100 without food. Since there are no facilities at any of the non-DVC rooms, you are going to have to eat there. We bring our own breakfast foods and snacks. There is not enough space or easy way of having stuff for lunch, but lets assume you can. That means there is no additional cost for breakfast, lunch, and snacks since you have to eat at home anyway. That means dinners out. Going all out Mr Cheapskate, I could go for $2,500 for the most miserable trip possible to Disney World. That is cutting out all possible corners.

Yes, I know they have the "free dining" times, but most people with kids can't do it. Even then, you are still at rack rates on rooms and tickets.

Leo!

Agreed.

Checking my credit card account, I noticed the same... year after year is more and more expensive. A couple of years ago, i had packages under 2000 USD, but now it's impossible to get one under 3000 for my family of 4.

I've been there like a month ago, taking the free dining promo... but was CRAZY crowded and HOT. Full of south americans, brazilians, etc taking the same promo (plus food and wine time and MNSSHP). For example during the night, the food court stations were more than 30-minute wait for a QS meal. EMH is not an option anymore too... we had 1 hour or more wait for non-popular rides

I won't try anymore the "free dining"

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Ok. You can do the vacation for a lot less and still be on property with 4 people. If you must have a suite then maybe look at renting points?
The fall trip is running in the 5k range using Art of Animation non suite, I can't see how that can be much cheaper when All Star resorts are not that much cheaper.

Here's the breakdown
Art of Animation (6 nights) 1146
5 day park tickets 1454
Est meal cost 1500 (includes Hoop de doo and some other sit down meals )
Flight 1500
Bottom line 5600

Upvote 0

21stamps

The fall trip is running in the 5k range using Art of Animation non suite, I can't see how that can be much cheaper when All Star resorts are not that much cheaper.

Here's the breakdown
Art of Animation (6 nights) 1146
5 day park tickets 1454
Est meal cost 1500 (includes Hoop de doo and some other sit down meals )
Flight 1500
Bottom line 5600

Got it. The flights and food is what is making it so expensive. That's what I was talking about yesterday. Flights have gone up so much that they have raised the cost of travel substantially.

Your resort and ticket prices aren't too bad. Depending on where you live I would choose to drive. You could shave a minimum of $1k off right there.

Upvote 0

Disney.Mike

I dont think the 5600 price tag for 4 is bad. Especially since you are flying.

Break it down: 72$ per park day. (4 people * 5 days = so 20 park days)

Lodging = 1146 for 6 days (191 a night, a little steep but not crazy) could be lowered by staying at all starts or pop

meals 1500 = assuming 3 meals per night there. so 6 * 3 * 4 = 72 meals eaten so average of 21$ a meal (i'm assuming tips included int his 1500) which could be trimmed down substantially by removing the hoop dee do

Not sure where you live, but you could likely rent a car for the trip and trim another 750$+ off the trip by driving. Like I said, may not be feasible for you depending on location

Upvote 0

zero creativity

Just for comparison sake, a Hampton inn in my hometown with a wonderful view of the interstate is a little over $100 before taxes and fees. Last week we were looking at staying at a suite type of hotel in Williamsburg and that was just shy of 200 through Priceline. Generally it seems we pay about 130 plus taxes and fees for a hotel on our non Disney trips

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Got it. The flights and food is what is making it so expensive. That's what I was talking about yesterday. Flights have gone up so much that they have raised the cost of travel substantially.

Your resort and ticket prices aren't too bad. Depending on where you live I would choose to drive. You could shave a minimum of $1k off right there.
Its the total out of pocket expense, I mean when it costs over 40 dollars for a quick serve breakfast, you know the meal budget needs to be substantially higher then it used to be

Upvote 0

Disneyhead'71

We have seen price increases every year some of them were pretty significant like this past years increases.

Yes, it costs more to go to WDW than it used to. And it also has been outpacing the inflation rate. So even if you have been seeing yearly raises, it will command a larger percentage of your budget than it used to.

Considering the condition of some of the parks, I can see why this bothers some.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BigRedDad

Original Poster
We now have to plan our visits over multiple trips. With ticket prices at nearly $400 for base tickets, it is kind of pointless taking 2 trips in a 12 month period without an annual pass. We are now in the process of planning our 13 month AP trips. We will start in June 2017. We will take 2 more 1-week trips in that 13 month window. Staying offsite as necessary for savings. We should be able to get DVC renters on slower times at affordable rates.

Upvote 0

22YrsDVC

I have been running the scenarios and numbers over the last couple days trying to make the cost of going more palatable. The last time we went to WDW, the APs were around $550 (2014). We will most likely get 3 uses out of the 13 month AP window they are currently offering which will save us at least $1,000.

How the numbers are working out for our first stay will save us as well. We have a 1BR unit at WBC for 7-nights. The price I am paying is less than the current rates for 3 nights at the least expensive Value resort. Since it is only 3 of us, we don't necessarily need a 2BR unit. Having the AP saves us from paying for parking. Here is how the numbers work out for me for just the initial trip:

Tickets: $2600 (vs $1400)
Room: $500 (vs $1200 on the cheapest; $1600 for an equivalent DVC rental + $95 fee)
Parking: $0 (vs $0 on site)
Memory Maker: $0 (vs $150)
Dining/Merchandise: 20% discount (estimate $20 per day savings)

Funding the first trip, I will be about $250 on the bad side. The minute we take the second trip, I will be at least $1,000 on the good side. I know the argument for staying onsite. I just can't see spending $125 for the cheapest room on a discount when I am at $70 a night for a 1BR unit that would be equivalent to a DVC rental at $240+ a night. The only benefit I miss out on is EMH. Over the Summer that benefit is only for morning EMH which is not worth it for 1-hour. We usually avoid that park anyway. The night time hours are well within the range we would stay in a park at night.
Question: What is the name of the WBC? Where is it? Thanks.

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

Original Poster
WBC=Wyndham Bonnet Creek. It is a timeshare resort. In my opinion and my opinion only, it is as good as any Disney deluxe resort at a HUGE fraction of the cost. Comparing room size to room size, you can get a 2BR unit at WBC for $100-$120 a night where the best deal at a DVC resort will run over $600 on the cheapest night.

WBC is central to everything at Disney. Disney Springs (2 miles), HS (1.6 miles), Epcot (5 miles because you have to loop around to it), AK (5 miles), MK (7 miles). Outside of the Disney globe, you have affordable dining options within 5 miles and tons of them at that. The other treat is that you have full kitchens and grills to use at WBC. I loved throwing 2 16oz ribeyes on the grill for $18. The same steaks at Disney would have been $80. However, it is not ribeye, it is flank steak and only about 12oz.

There is so much more value if you can live with being outside the Disney globe. If you need to get back into it, AoA, Pop Century, Boardwalk are all just 1 mile away. If you don't want to drive to Epcot, Uber to BW and walk in through the back entrance.

Upvote 0

22YrsDVC

Upvote 0

22YrsDVC

WBC=Wyndham Bonnet Creek. It is a timeshare resort. In my opinion and my opinion only, it is as good as any Disney deluxe resort at a HUGE fraction of the cost. Comparing room size to room size, you can get a 2BR unit at WBC for $100-$120 a night where the best deal at a DVC resort will run over $600 on the cheapest night.

WBC is central to everything at Disney. Disney Springs (2 miles), HS (1.6 miles), Epcot (5 miles because you have to loop around to it), AK (5 miles), MK (7 miles). Outside of the Disney globe, you have affordable dining options within 5 miles and tons of them at that. The other treat is that you have full kitchens and grills to use at WBC. I loved throwing 2 16oz ribeyes on the grill for $18. The same steaks at Disney would have been $80. However, it is not ribeye, it is flank steak and only about 12oz.

There is so much more value if you can live with being outside the Disney globe. If you need to get back into it, AoA, Pop Century, Boardwalk are all just 1 mile away. If you don't want to drive to Epcot, Uber to BW and walk in through the back entrance.
Thank you very much.Very extensive and thoughtful reasoning on your reasoning.
But as you might be able to tell from my name, I'm in the DVC pool until I drown from the fees.
Thanks again!!

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

Original Poster
Thank you very much.Very extensive and thoughtful reasoning on your reasoning.
But as you might be able to tell from my name, I'm in the DVC pool until I drown from the fees.
Thanks again!!

Trust me, we looked into it and Wyndham timeshares as well. The koolaid is nice. However, I make no financial altering decisions without running calculators. When you factor in the Future Value of the purchase price, maintenance fees, and everything else, it is simply not worth it, for me only. As Disney is not able to fill the DVC resorts, they open more to the RCI exchange. My last three trips (the last time I had APs) was as follows:
2BR Deluxe mid Dec 2014 for 7-nights: $500
1BR BWV over Feb 2, 2015 for 7-nights: $1,200
1BR SSR starting weekend after July 4 weekend 2015 for 7-nights: $1,250

As you can see all resorts were 7-nights because that is how it works with the timeshare and exchanges. They are always 7-nights. If I owned DVC and I saw that Disney can release rooms to RCI for less than what it cost for maintenance fees, I would be livid.

The BWV and SSR rental were less than the maintenance fees for DVC owners at those resorts. I don't see how DVC owners can compete. The Wyndham rental was from a Platinum VIP owner inside the 60-day reservation window. This means they get the room for 50% of the points. They still made money with the $500 rental price.

Upvote 0

Ricky Spanish

I believe WDW is really only as expensive as you make it.
We(wife, 15 yr. old daughter, and I) are going in June 2017.
10 days, 9 nights on property.
Cost right now- $2750
Hotel and park hopper tickets.
Driving there from Chicago will cost us about $400-450 if gas stays the same prices.
That also includes a Best Western stay there and back, breakfast included.
We are budgeting about $100/day for meals.
We bring our own breakfast.

I can spend more, per day, if we went to our local Six Flags

Upvote 0

bigrigross

I believe WDW is really only as expensive as you make it.
We(wife, 15 yr. old daughter, and I) are going in June 2017.
10 days, 9 nights on property.
Cost right now- $2750
Hotel and park hopper tickets.
Driving there from Chicago will cost us about $400-450 if gas stays the same prices.
That also includes a Best Western stay there and back, breakfast included.
We are budgeting about $100/day for meals.
We bring our own breakfast.

I can spend more, per day, if we went to our local Six Flags

What do you drive, a Tahoe? I live in Indy and its going to cost me about 120 dollars round trip with my Altima. If we decide to drive the Silverado, its going to be about 200 dollars.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom