Disney Infinity - Which Console?

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
I do not have the Wii version, but coop play is currentlynnot supported in the playset worlds on the Wii version.
Supposedly, they are working on a fix.

It has always been very well known that only "franchise" characters would be allowed in their worlds. That has nothing to do with it.
Well you post didn't specify so I could only assume. :)

As per this it looks like the reason was essentially because of the Wii's limitations on the size disk it supports so I'm not sure how they could be working on a fix but hey if they are, great!

Ignohippo

Well you post didn't specify so I could only assume. :)

As per this it looks like the reason was essentially because of the Wii's limitations on the size disk it supports so I'm not sure how they could be working on a fix but hey if they are, great!

Yeah, I'm not sure either! Supposedly Avalanche has said that they are working on getting coop working on the Wii.

Furiated

Yeah, I'm not sure either! Supposedly Avalanche has said that they are working on getting coop working on the Wii.

I thought you couldn't patch games on the Wii like you can for 360/PS3? I haven't touched my Wii in ages, so I'm not sure if that's still true or not.

Ignohippo

There's no nice way of putting this so I'll just come out and say it, you're wrong.

Console sales (preorders included) went up 4000% the weekend the next gen consoles were released. The PS3 released with a higher price tag than the PS4 and that didn't crash and burn.

Will most young children get a next gen console straight away? Probably not. I didn't. But will the hardcore crowd (even the casual online FPS gamers) buy a next gen console ASAP? Most likely.

Wii U sales can't compare to Sony and Microsoft. The problem is the name. Wii is a dangerous word, almost like saying gimmick. A good example is the information you shared with us about Disney Infinity.

My hypothesis is that the next gen consoles will release with huge success, meanwhile the Wii U will slowly dip into the bargain bins. 360 and PS3 might have a good year or two with Sport games and kiddie games, but the scale of next gen games is something that can't and won't be ported to the older generation.

Please see the comments on this news item about the XboxOne on AintItCool. I certainly don't consider any of these people an expert on the console wars, but I would consider it a good micro chasm of the general audience these consoles are trying to sell to:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/63761

To sum up, every single comment is basically "yawn". Both Microsoft and Sony are going to be fighting an uphill battle to convince the general public that they need one of these consoles.

I wish it weren't that way. I own a 360, PS3 and Wii. I was totally expecting to buy the XboxONE for my son and I for Xmas. So far, they've done absolutely nothing to convince me that I need (or even want) one.

When the last generation of consoles came out, there was no doubt that I had to have them. That feeling isn't there this time. Not even a twinge.

Last edited:

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
I thought you couldn't patch games on the Wii like you can for 360/PS3? I haven't touched my Wii in ages, so I'm not sure if that's still true or not.
I thought the same thing. I have no idea, just know what I've been told.
Wii doesn't patch the games but does release new OS updates frequently so I suppose depending on what the "fix" would be, it could be something they partner with Nintendo to send in an OS update. I just don't see it happening though because the limitation is the size of the disk (i.e. it can't read bluray) and therefore the inability to put extra code on the disk/Wii for it to allow the functionality. Not sure how they'd go about patching that, even if they could patch the game itself. Seems like the official DI site (linked above) simply says you can't do it, period.

We didn't want it on the Wii anyway (as I said in my very first opening comment) so I'm thrilled to know now I made the right choice but I know two folks who had no other choice because that's all they had so that stinks for them.

wdwstateofmind

My Wii U is a giant paperweight...I was considering buying Disney Infinity for myself, but I dunno how I feel about upgrading paperweights at this time...if more games kept coming after Lego City Undercover I probably would have gotten it by now, but we all know this isn't the case...

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
My Wii U is a giant paperweight...I was considering buying Disney Infinity for myself, but I dunno how I feel about upgrading paperweights at this time...if more games kept coming after Lego City Undercover I probably would have gotten it by now, but we all know this isn't the case...
I will say this... we picked up our copy Sunday morning as soon as Gamestop opened (they opened early for preorder pickup). It's been pretty much played non-stop, by all 3 of us (DS7, DH42 and myself) since that time. It is a ton of fun and really a great game for anyone who is a Disney fan (especially if you're insane about it like most of us on the forums are lol). Worth upgrading your console just to play it? Not sure... but I was glad I had lots of options to pick from for which system we'd go with and wasn't stuck with one option. :D

EDIT: I just re-read and saw you have the Wii-U -- you wouldn't have to upgrade your console to have full play as it's just the Wii that has the limitation.

wdwstateofmind

I will say this... we picked up our copy Sunday morning as soon as Gamestop opened (they opened early for preorder pickup). It's been pretty much played non-stop, by all 3 of us (DS7, DH42 and myself) since that time. It is a ton of fun and really a great game for anyone who is a Disney fan (especially if you're insane about it like most of us on the forums are lol). Worth upgrading your console just to play it? Not sure... but I was glad I had lots of options to pick from for which system we'd go with and wasn't stuck with one option. :D
Well I'm calling Disney Infinity the upgrade for my unused Wii U...the characters in the Starter Pack are stopping me and the fact I want more classic characters...the only one in the starter pack I like is Sully...

I have a 360 too, but if I get it it'll be on the Wii U, just a lower power consumer, not as loud, and personally I think the graphics are the best of the 3 right now..

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
Well I'm calling Disney Infinity the upgrade for my unused Wii U...the characters in the Starter Pack are stopping me and the fact I want more classic characters...the only one in the starter pack I like is Sully...
Could always pick it up and sell Jack and Mr. Incredible on Ebay. :D I'm looking forward to January when Sorcerer Mickey comes out so I get what you mean!

Ignohippo

I have a 360 too, but if I get it it'll be on the Wii U, just a lower power consumer, not as loud, and personally I think the graphics are the best of the 3 right now..

I would agree with your assessment of not enough classic characters at launch (or even series 2). However, the game is really full a classic Disney feel. The soundtrack while in the Toy Box is completely old Disney.

I'm not sure what their reasoning is, but I'm sure more classic characters will come. I'm really surprised more princesses haven't been announced at the least, but that may be to ensure that the Frozen girls sell better. If you look at the lineup so far, it seems to be very skewed towards what they think little boys would like.

I'm especially looking forward to a Peter Pan playset. They could do amazing things with Neverland and London.

wdwstateofmind

but that may be to ensure that the Frozen girls sell better.
Sad part is I don't think anyone but Disney thinks Frozen will sell...you know they have a problem when my household would rather see Saving Mr. Banks after being hardcore Disney feature animation buffs for years...I just feel having a classic lineup at launch would have sold way more units than they did (not saying the game is struggling cause it's not)...

Ignohippo

Sad part is I don't think anyone but Disney thinks Frozen will sell...you know they have a problem when my household would rather see Saving Mr. Banks after being hardcore Disney feature animation buffs for years...I just feel having a classic lineup at launch would have sold way more units than they did (not saying the game is struggling cause it's not)...

It's too early to tell how Frozen will do, but I'm sure with the success of Tangled that it will do very, very well. The lack of princesses in Disney Infinity almost guarantees that those figures will be quite popular.

As for sales, nah, they had a very good launch lineup for the target audience they were going after, especially considering that they needed to save some so the game could continue selling.

I would just argue that having a princess or two and a couple of classic characters at launch would have gained them more of the girl and lifelong Disney fan as well.

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
It's too early to tell how Frozen will do, but I'm sure with the success of Tangled that it will do very, very well. The lack of princesses in Disney Infinity almost guarantees that those figures will be quite popular. I would just argue that having a princess or two and a couple of classic characters at launch would have gained them more of the girl and lifelong Disney fan as well.
I have a feeling that by this time next year you'll see a whole slew of princesses show up. In fact I wouldn't at all be surprised if they timed the launch of them along with the opening of Princess Fairytale Hall at MK and sold them in the gift shop that will undoubtedly be at the exit. :D Personally, though I've never been a princessy girl, I would love to see Cinderella (they have her carriage afterall), Snow White and Tink. I would also love to see other characters from those same franchises (i.e. the dwarfs, Peter Pan, Hook, etc.).

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
So I cracked...ended up getting the starter with randy and two power discs for about $71 at gamestop...

It's on the coffee table begging me to open it...or maybe it's just randy
You'll love it! I hide VERY high expectations. I'd been following the progress and watching the videos they posted officially since it began and was nervous that I'd pick it up that day and be disappointed because I set the bar too high. I was so wrong. It's so much better than even what I expected.

wdwstateofmind

You'll love it! I hide VERY high expectations. I'd been following the progress and watching the videos they posted officially since it began and was nervous that I'd pick it up that day and be disappointed because I set the bar too high. I was so wrong. It's so much better than even what I expected.
Really once I saw everything I was getting for $71, especially all the pre-order stuff even though I didn't preorder, I couldn't say no...my only disappoint me is I have to find a Mike Lebowski to finish the playset i currently want and they are no where down here

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
Really once I saw everything I was getting for $71, especially all the pre-order stuff even though I didn't preorder, I couldn't say no...my only disappoint me is I have to find a Mike Lebowski to finish the playset i currently want and they are no where down here
Ok I'm assuming you mean Mike Wazowski of Monster's Inc. right? :D Tons of them around here. Check places like Toys R Us and Walmart who have tons. Walmart is actually running a 50% off special on the multipacks so you could pick up the sidekicks pack for cheap. We just picked up the villains pack for $14.96 there as a result. Good luck and enjoy!

wdwstateofmind

Ok I'm assuming you mean Mike Wazowski of Monster's Inc. right? :D Tons of them around here. Check places like Toys R Us and Walmart who have tons. Walmart is actually running a 50% off special on the multipacks so you could pick up the sidekicks pack for cheap. We just picked up the villains pack for $14.96 there as a result. Good luck and enjoy!
Sorry...The Big Lebowski was on while I was typing. I find that sometimes when you don't have to look to type somethings slip right into the mind and down the fingers without knowing! But hey, I can watch tv and type at the same time so that has to be good for something

Brer Josh

The reason the Wii-U is failing is because the game pad was a terrible idea. Only giving it to one person is nonsensical as well. They were looking for a gimmick and it backfired on them.

The Wii was a very popular console for families. The name isn't what killed the Wii-U. The gimmick controller is.

As for the pre-sells of the NextGen consoles, there's no doubt they have sold out for release day. There are plenty of hard core gamers to sell out the first few shipments. It's what happens six months in the future that will show if they are a success or a failure.

I called the failure of the PSVita, I called the failure of the Wii-U, and I'm predicting a very hard road ahead for the XboxONE and the PS4. In the end, I think you'll probably see Microsoft get out of the console business after the XboxONE.

So much wrong in one post.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom