Disney Infinity - Which Console?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I guess I am just not getting this. Why would you not be able to play it on 360/PS3? Just because a new system comes out doesn't mean they brick your old one. I still have dreamcast, PS1, master system, N64 and gamecube games I have yet to start and finish along with a ton of others. I have almost every major console that has been released and I have never not continued to play the games after the new system comes out.
No real reason. Xbox live did not stop supporting the original Xbox until 2010 which was roughly 9 years after launch and about 5 years after the 360 came out. Given that pattern the 360 should be supported on live until 2018 +/- and will of course still work as a stand alone unit until it red rings.

erasure fan1

No real reason. Xbox live did not stop supporting the original Xbox until 2010 which was roughly 9 years after launch and about 5 years after the 360 came out. Given that pattern the 360 should be supported on live until 2018 +/- and will of course still work as a stand alone unit until it red rings.
Exactly, that is my point. Of course no one can say 100% but all signs would point to that.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Exactly, that is my point. Of course no one can say 100% but all signs would point to that.
That is what I am anticipating. In reality it has little bearing on me as I rarely play games online. My video game time is my unplug from the world time and I do not need foul mouthed 12 year olds mucking it up.

WED99

I'm not sure what Indonesia has to do with this discussion. For what it's worth, people in Brazil are playing Genesis/Megadrive games.
You said that the old gen would only last about 18 months, I used Indonesia as an example to why this is not true.

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
No matter what the future holds for the PS3, if you purchase a game for it you can play it forever unless it is a game that requires online play and the associated ability is removed. In this case, since it certainly appears that multiplayer is an option and it's ultimately a single player game, I'm not worried about not being able to continue to enjoy it for many years to come. Since they are releasing it for PS3 and the 360 I'd venture a guess that there are some smart people in the companies that developed it that made sure there was no chance their game would become defunct as soon as the new versions of each console were released. If that would've been the case they'd probably have delayed the release and made it available for those new consoles only. All this said, I'm not worried at all about my decision to get it on the PS3. :)

erasure fan1

believe it or not, the rest of the world doesn't care and doesn't buy American Football games... FIFA on the other hand...
http://www.gamespot.com/news/ea-not-developing-anything-for-wii-u-6408481
GameSpot.com said:
EA not developing anything for Wii U

Battlefield and FIFA publisher confirms it has no games in development currently for Nintendo's latest console.

Electronic Arts is distancing itself from the struggling Wii U, the Battlefield and FIFA publisher has confirmed with Kotaku.
"We have no games in development for the Wii U currently," company spokesperson Jeff Brown said, noting that this could change in the future.......
If one of the highest profile developers is taking a wait and see approach, others could follow that same strategy. No FIFA or Madden on the Wii U is a pretty big blow to the system. Nintendo better bring it hard with its first party titles because unless Microsoft and Sony completely screw up the new systems, Nintendo could be in big trouble.

Wags14

PS3: Full HD. Free online play

'nuff said.

My son and I are highly looking forward to this game. Should be fun.

erasure fan1

ku-bigpic.jpg

Looks like they are adding a few new characters to infinity.

WED99

ku-bigpic.jpg

Looks like they are adding a few new characters to infinity.
I'm not fussed about the characters. I think mine will just be what comes with the play sets. I'm not prepared to pay $17 for a new character, I'd rather save the money for play sets so I can have 10 hours more gameplay.

Ignohippo

STAY AWAY FROM THE WII VERSION! It does not support coop in the playset worlds. It's disgusting that they aren't making that little tidbit more publicized. People are getting home with the game and...surprise!

We got it on the Xbox and are quite happy.

As for the next gen consoles, I think what you all are missing is that there is no guarantee that any of them will be successful. The Wii-U is a sales disaster, and I think the same fate is awaiting the XboxOne and PS4.
(1) the prices are too high
(2) there are far fewer exclusive titles now
(3) there isn't nearly as much difference between the new gen and the current one as there was in previous generations
(4) no backwards compatibility on the XboxOne is a MAJOR mistake
(5) most households have the current generation of consoles and are more than satisfied
(6) the complete lack of compelling launch titles

I think the PS3 and Xbox360 may actually outlive the new generation of consoles. I would be shocked if new games aren't made for them for at least another 24 months.

Will we see Halo 5 on the 360? No, but you can bet we'll still get a Maddon 2015 on the 360 and PS3 in two years.

WED99

STAY AWAY FROM THE WII VERSION! It does not support coop in the playset worlds. It's disgusting that they aren't making that little tidbit more publicized. People are getting home with the game and...surprise!

We got it on the Xbox and are quite happy.

As for the next gen consoles, I think what you all are missing is that there is no guarantee that any of them will be successful. The Wii-U is a sales disaster, and I think the same fate is awaiting the XboxOne and PS4.
(1) the prices are too high
(2) there are far fewer exclusive titles now
(3) there isn't nearly as much difference between the new gen and the current one as there was in previous generations
(4) no backwards compatibility on the XboxOne is a MAJOR mistake
(5) most households have the current generation of consoles and are more than satisfied
(6) the complete lack of compelling launch titles

I think the PS3 and Xbox360 may actually outlive the new generation of consoles. I would be shocked if new games aren't made for them for at least another 24 months.

Will we see Halo 5 on the 360? No, but you can bet we'll still get a Maddon 2015 on the 360 and PS3 in two years.
There's no nice way of putting this so I'll just come out and say it, you're wrong.

Console sales (preorders included) went up 4000% the weekend the next gen consoles were released. The PS3 released with a higher price tag than the PS4 and that didn't crash and burn.

Will most young children get a next gen console straight away? Probably not. I didn't. But will the hardcore crowd (even the casual online FPS gamers) buy a next gen console ASAP? Most likely.

Wii U sales can't compare to Sony and Microsoft. The problem is the name. Wii is a dangerous word, almost like saying gimmick. A good example is the information you shared with us about Disney Infinity.

My hypothesis is that the next gen consoles will release with huge success, meanwhile the Wii U will slowly dip into the bargain bins. 360 and PS3 might have a good year or two with Sport games and kiddie games, but the scale of next gen games is something that can't and won't be ported to the older generation.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There's no nice way of putting this so I'll just come out and say it, you're wrong.

Console sales (preorders included) went up 4000% the weekend the next gen consoles were released. The PS3 released with a higher price tag than the PS4 and that didn't crash and burn.

Will most young children get a next gen console straight away? Probably not. I didn't. But will the hardcore crowd (even the casual online FPS gamers) buy a next gen console ASAP? Most likely.

Wii U sales can't compare to Sony and Microsoft. The problem is the name. Wii is a dangerous word, almost like saying gimmick. A good example is the information you shared with us about Disney Infinity.

My hypothesis is that the next gen consoles will release with huge success, meanwhile the Wii U will slowly dip into the bargain bins. 360 and PS3 might have a good year or two with Sport games and kiddie games, but the scale of next gen games is something that can't and won't be ported to the older generation.
Agree on all points.

XB1 and PS4 sales are very good. XB1 and PS4 day one versions are almost completely gone. I as well as many of my friends ordered XB1 and/or PS4 the second they went on sale.

Backwards compatibility at the expense of forward progress is a mistake. MS and Sony made the right call.

Wii U was what the Wii should have been. Kinect and Move are better motion controls than either the Wii or Wii U. The to only reason I would even consider owning a Wii U is for Mario.

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
STAY AWAY FROM THE WII VERSION! It does not support coop in the playset worlds.
In addition to the disagreements above I just want to comment that it seems everyone is really confused (across consoles) on how coop in playsets work. Both characters must be from that world else you can't do it (i.e. you can't bring Jack Sparrow into the MU playset). Now... I have the PS3 version so I can't say with 100% certainty that is your issue but my son and I played together in the MU world yesterday (once we used Mike and Sully as our avatars). I just thought I'd share because I've been seeing posts all over the internet (since yesterday's release) from people saying "Coop doesn't work in playsets" and in almost every case that's what it's been. They made it clear from the beginning that you could only "cross worlds" in the Toybox.

Ignohippo

In addition to the disagreements above I just want to comment that it seems everyone is really confused (across consoles) on how coop in playsets work. Both characters must be from that world else you can't do it (i.e. you can't bring Jack Sparrow into the MU playset). Now... I have the PS3 version so I can't say with 100% certainty that is your issue but my son and I played together in the MU world yesterday (once we used Mike and Sully as our avatars). I just thought I'd share because I've been seeing posts all over the internet (since yesterday's release) from people saying "Coop doesn't work in playsets" and in almost every case that's what it's been. They made it clear from the beginning that you could only "cross worlds" in the Toybox.

I do not have the Wii version, but coop play is currentlynnot supported in the playset worlds on the Wii version.
Supposedly, they are working on a fix.

It has always been very well known that only "franchise" characters would be allowed in their worlds. That has nothing to do with it.

Ignohippo

The reason the Wii-U is failing is because the game pad was a terrible idea. Only giving it to one person is nonsensical as well. They were looking for a gimmick and it backfired on them.

The Wii was a very popular console for families. The name isn't what killed the Wii-U. The gimmick controller is.

As for the pre-sells of the NextGen consoles, there's no doubt they have sold out for release day. There are plenty of hard core gamers to sell out the first few shipments. It's what happens six months in the future that will show if they are a success or a failure.

I called the failure of the PSVita, I called the failure of the Wii-U, and I'm predicting a very hard road ahead for the XboxONE and the PS4. In the end, I think you'll probably see Microsoft get out of the console business after the XboxONE.

WED99

The reason the Wii-U is failing is because the game pad was a terrible idea. Only giving it to one person is nonsensical as well. They were looking for a gimmick and it backfired on them.

The Wii was a very popular console for families. The name isn't what killed the Wii-U. The gimmick controller is.

As for the pre-sells of the NextGen consoles, there's no doubt they have sold out for release day. There are plenty of hard core gamers to sell out the first few shipments. It's what happens six months in the future that will show if they are a success or a failure.

I called the failure of the PSVita, I called the failure of the Wii-U, and I'm predicting a very hard road ahead for the XboxONE and the PS4. In the end, I think you'll probably see Microsoft get out of the console business after the XboxONE.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion so that's fair enough.

Just lets clarify what I meant by the Wii name ruined it. The Wii sold extremely well, but after about a month everyone began to realise two things:

1) The motion controls get old fast.
2) No one knows how to make games for the console except Nintendo.

After that realization no one wanted to risk it with the Wii U. The game pad was the best idea they had for the new console.

NowInc

I think you're right that microsoft will get out of the game console market after the x-box One...but thats because they are "changing" what the x-box is..they want it to be the central hub of your entertainment center..not just a game box. They already took GREAT steps in the right direction with this on the 360, and I like how the One is integrating things even more. Also keep in mind that thanks to last gen, the "shelf life" of a console is now double what it used to be...so in a decade no one knows what will be viable or acceptable (ask yourself if Cloud ANYTHING was something you considered a decade ago..and now its everywhere). Things like streaming media (in its current quality at least), cloud storage/computing, DVRs, Second screen, etc...were all things that have evolved in the course of this last generation. I for one am very interested in how things are going to shape up. Microsoft isn't dumb (contrary to what many would like to assume). They have a game plan and are in this for the long haul. Everybody thought that they would fail after the first xbox...and you see how wrong they were.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think you're right that microsoft will get out of the game console market after the x-box One...but thats because they are "changing" what the x-box is..they want it to be the central hub of your entertainment center..not just a game box. They already took GREAT steps in the right direction with this on the 360, and I like how the One is integrating things even more. Also keep in mind that thanks to last gen, the "shelf life" of a console is now double what it used to be...so in a decade no one knows what will be viable or acceptable (ask yourself if Cloud ANYTHING was something you considered a decade ago..and now its everywhere). Things like streaming media (in its current quality at least), cloud storage/computing, DVRs, Second screen, etc...were all things that have evolved in the course of this last generation. I for one am very interested in how things are going to shape up. Microsoft isn't dumb (contrary to what many would like to assume). They have a game plan and are in this for the long haul. Everybody thought that they would fail after the first xbox...and you see how wrong they were.
I think MS will be in the console business as long as they can still get people to buy Gold accounts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom