Disney in July. Are we Crazy?

Hockey Nut

Original Poster
We usually go to WDW during the February President's week break, but we couldn't this year due to work, school, and sports conflicts. We are thinking about going in July, but a lot of people are telling us we are insane.

Please share some of your July experiences to help us make our decision. Thanks.

rct247

Crowds are usually more intense for President's Day Weekend. In the summer, crowds are spread out a bit better. It will still be busy, but hopefully your wait times will be just a tad bit less than what you were used to.

You will deal with far more tour groups though and the heat/humidity will be intense. Keep in mind you will deal with more afternoon thunderstorms as well.

TheAmazingBobbo

I've gone in late June and late July and both times I've had a great time... your normal rides are going to have long waits, but depending on when you hit the parks, even at busy times you can get on many of them in under an hour, and some much quicker than that. Of course, if you want to hit Soarin', TSMM, etc, you'll have to get there early and grab some fastpasses... but I definitely prefer summer more than any other time. From experience though, the 2nd or 3rd week of July, just after the period around the 4th is probably better since you'll avoid most of our favorite tour groups.

notslim99

We went July 4th week in 2010, and it was manageable. It was pretty packed, but the key is to get there early. Even if there are some tour groups there, they don't usually invade until about the 10 o' clock hour. The heat and humidity can get pretty intense, so stay hydrated.

MaryJaneP

Been to WDW in early July many times. Like others said, early start is smart (beat the heat and some of the lines), take a break mid-day to find cool/shade/resort pool, return in the evening to wrap up a very enjoyable time. It is our vacation and we choose to enjoy it whether there are tour groups, heat/humidity/cloudbursts, or lines. You can do the same so enjoy.

TylerFG

I used to go in July, but me and my aunt thought it would be better to go in August because of less tour groups and such.

Jenna

I've only ever been in July (twice for 3 weeks during July and once for a fortnight that took in July and August).

I personally don't find a problem with this time of year, then again it's what I'm used to. Yes it's busy but to me (and possibly only me), I kind of like that in that I think it would be strange going to Disney when it wasn't extremely busy. The longest I've ever waited in line at Disney was probably 40 minutes, granted if you go late the wait for TSMWM will definitely be longer unless you go at park opening.
I wouldn't fret about it :)

jaques21

I've been going in July almost all my life....ITS HOT! and yes there will be crowds but I'm rare that in I dont mind crowds at WDW, anywhere else I do :ROFLOL:

JIMINYCR

We were forced to do two trips in the summer due to availability of vacation times. I was not looking forward to the extra crowds and weather conditions either but we made adjustments which helped us enjoy the trip. Accept it and put on a happy face. :) After all, time at Disney (even under the worst of conditions) is better than no time at disney. :cool:

real mad hatter

No Problems.

Well this year will be our fifth trip to WDW all in July.Number one,of course it's hot and humid,we stay in Scotland where it's bluddy Baltic for most of the year,if we can survive,so can you.Number two,What about tour groups,if they head for one attraction then you head somewhere else,never spoiled our vacation.Number three,thunderstorms?whit,those super rain drops that are warm.they come on and off so quick.In my country they last for days non stop.So I would say,get yourself booked up and enjoy a vacation that lots of my friends only dream about.:wave:

coachwnh

spent the last 4 julys in the world, including the 4th last summer, but there were never any closings. if you are an early riser, your best bet is to start early and head back to the resort as it gets hot and crowded. its amazing how much you can get done before 10 am. then go back later at night, again cooler and smaller crowds. either way, you wont be as crowded as presidents weekend, thanksgiving, or christmas.

C.FERNIE

Well this year will be our fifth trip to WDW all in July.Number one,of course it's hot and humid,we stay in Scotland where it's bluddy Baltic for most of the year,if we can survive,so can you.Number two,What about tour groups,if they head for one attraction then you head somewhere else,never spoiled our vacation.Number three,thunderstorms?whit,those super rain drops that are warm.they come on and off so quick.In my country they last for days non stop.So I would say,get yourself booked up and enjoy a vacation that lots of my friends only dream about.:wave:

we dont get rain in scotland lol, we get monsoons for 50% lol our summer last like two days hehe.... we have been lots of times in July and it always has been awesome, like everyone says if you are used to a different time of year, you just need to adjust your plans, we have never had a real problem with anything, there is a real buzz around wdw.... i would suggest making ADR's ASAP though, as it it busy. The thunderstorms are awesome, and it is actually quite nice to get soaked in warm rain and you dry up in no time, just the air con gets a bit chilly when you are drying off. Tour groups are at wdw nearlt all the time now so just head the opposite way from them lol :wave:

SAV

As it has been said, expect HOT weather. Expect Tour Groups and a lot of them. Expect crowds.

If you are able to deal with those things and they won't ruin your trip, then you will be fine. If not, then I'd consider a different time. It all depends on your attitude handling those things.

The Empress Lilly

We usually go to WDW during the February President's week break, but we couldn't this year due to work, school, and sports conflicts. We are thinking about going in July, but a lot of people are telling us we are insane.

Please share some of your July experiences to help us make our decision. Thanks.
July is fine!

Except, it isn't. Because of the South American tour groups, those hordes from Mordor bent on destroying the pleasure and sanity of ordinary people spending their annual savings at Disney:. :mad:

Otherwise, crowds and heat can be dealt with. Just tough it out. I've done it. Lots.

Tips...hmmm. Perhaps:
Get up real early, or stay real late. Use those few hours to get your daily attraction fix.
Sleep or swim in the afternoon to beat the crowds and the heat.
For the busy hours, use fastpass and an understanding of which rides have high capacity and which rides are busy when (SSE is always a walk-on after 1PM etc)
Accept that you can not do it all in summer. Then choose cleverly: when the crowds rush towards Toy Story at rope drop, youd go to Sunset Boul instead. Get a fastpass for Tot, then ride RnRC. Possibly repeat. Sure, you don't get to do Toy Story, but you do get your two thrill rides, possibly several times. :)sohappy:)
Kiddie rides are empty at night, thrill rides are empty in the morning.
Dine real early or real late. Reverse lunch and dinner - have an elaborate meal at 3PM, then nibble your way through the evening.
Deploy an utter pigheaded refusal to shower and use deodorant to help you skip ahead in lines. ;)

drp4video

I agree, if you have the whole summer, go close to the end of August as it will be less crowded. Still crowded, but not as much as July. Heat will be the same in both July and August, very intense. It will rain every day both months, also intense for a half an hour or so, and you think it will cool down, but nope, sometimes it is even hotter. Parks will be open late, and if you stay on property, the EMH at night are great. Have a fun time and drink a lot of water!
Water rides help a lot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom