Disney in Google Earth?

habuma

Original Poster
When I can't be in WDW, it's sometimes fun to pretend by opening up Google Earth and running around the 3D models therein. Sure, there are no actual shows and you can't ride the rides, but you can't beat the price of admission and you'll never find the crowd levels so low in the real world.

But lately I've noticed that those 3D models are gone. There are a handful of models still there, although they don't appear to be official Disney models like what were once there (the Spaceship Earth model that's there now looks horrible compared to what was once there).

Anybody have any idea what happened? I assume that it's an area that Disney doesn't want to invest in. And while I'd love to see those models updated with the latest stuff, I would understand if they didn't want to maintain it any further. But why take them completely away?

Sure, I could go explore WDW in Minecraft, but I really enjoyed the higher-res models in Google Earth. If Disney isn't going to do it, is there enough interest/skills to form an outside team to do it? I doubt I could rebuild WDW myself, but I could pitch in on parts of it. (Oh...and DLR would be nice, too).

JIMINYCR

Yes, Google Earth is a great way to visit WDW from my computer seat. Zooming in and moving along the walkways is the next best thing to being there. I use it also to help explain to new guests how best to maneuver around before they take their trip to WDW, much better than just pointing out things on a paper map. Sure hope the updates get us even better views and effects to make it more personal.

Hot Lava

ACK! Because I don't waste enough time here and just general dreaming about a trip to WDW?

Thanks soooooooo much for giving me something else to waste my time with WDW!

;) and a little :mad: (b/c clearly lack self control).

habuma

Original Poster
Hmmm...I just noticed that although WDW is missing from Google Earth, there's some really nice looking stuff taking shape at Disneyland. The buildings look a bit odd...kinda misshaped and rock-like. But some things such as the Matterhorn look awesome. I know that the last time I looked at Disneyland in Google Earth there was nothing there but the monorail track and the Mickey's Fun Wheel.

Edit: I think that the DL stuff looks rough because whoever created it simply raised areas of the landscape where the buildings and such are. This is evident in Carsland where it's still showing it as unfinished (just like on Google Maps), but the unfinished areas are raised up to give a 3D-ish look. I'm still trying to decide if this is better than nothing or not. Hopefully it's just a work in progress and will get better over time.

habuma

Original Poster
Following up on the Disneyland stuff: Apparently, there are some built-in 3D imagery magic that Google Earth gives you. From a slight distance, it looks awesome...but if you get too close it looks horrible. It's not just Disneyland...you can see the same kind of effect if you go to Manhattan in Google Earth.

But if you go into settings there's a checkbox under the "Terrain" header that says "Use 3D Imagery (disable to use legacy 3D buildings)". Uncheck that and you can see any 3D models that have been placed about without seeing the ugly built-in stuff. There's not much to see at WDW (SSE, Swan and Dolphin, DisneyQuest).

At Disneyland, however, someone named Phil Hill (aka, bahamasboy) has been busy creating very nice looking 3D models. He's far from finished covering all of Disneyland, but he's got a very nice start. Until Disney themselves provide something like this, I say we should all encourage Phil Hill to continue his work (and if there's anyone skilled enough making those 3D models, maybe even help him out).

Zman-ks

I like the Bing maps too.
75.gif

Me too. :)

MarkTwain

Following up on the Disneyland stuff: Apparently, there are some built-in 3D imagery magic that Google Earth gives you. From a slight distance, it looks awesome...but if you get too close it looks horrible. It's not just Disneyland...you can see the same kind of effect if you go to Manhattan in Google Earth.

But if you go into settings there's a checkbox under the "Terrain" header that says "Use 3D Imagery (disable to use legacy 3D buildings)". Uncheck that and you can see any 3D models that have been placed about without seeing the ugly built-in stuff. There's not much to see at WDW (SSE, Swan and Dolphin, DisneyQuest).

At Disneyland, however, someone named Phil Hill (aka, bahamasboy) has been busy creating very nice looking 3D models. He's far from finished covering all of Disneyland, but he's got a very nice start. Until Disney themselves provide something like this, I say we should all encourage Phil Hill to continue his work (and if there's anyone skilled enough making those 3D models, maybe even help him out).

I've thought the same. Phil has done great work and it'd be great to help him out. All it takes from a technical standpoint is a solid understanding of Google Sketchup, but the real challenge is the cr*pton of free time it would require. Digital modeling takes forever.

If you notice the models he's already uploaded, they're mostly more basic, boxy forms (Disneyland Hotel towers, Soarin' showbuilding). The real challenge is going to be the buildings that are intricate or sculpted (Splash Mountain, Thunder Mountain, all the New Orleans Square facades). Not an enviable task. :eek:

habuma

Original Poster
I've thought the same. Phil has done great work and it'd be great to help him out. All it takes from a technical standpoint is a solid understanding of Google Sketchup, but the real challenge is the cr*pton of free time it would require. Digital modeling takes forever.

Indeed. I have neither the free time nor the skills with Google Sketchup (although I'm *very* willing to learn). If I ever obtain the skills and time, you can bet that I'll be contributing.

In the meantime, the most I can give is a super-high-5 to Phil for his excellent work. And if our paths ever cross, I could see my way to buy him a drink of his choice.

habuma

Original Poster
Also, giving credit where credit is due, thanks to Joseph Jasper, Peter Olsen, Alex Spendlove, and anyone else I overlooked who are also contributing 3D models to Disneyland on Google Earth. Great work! I hope to be able to explore all of Disney's parks from my desk (when I should be doing real work) someday.

habuma

Original Poster
Thread bump! I just looked at WDW in Google Earth and noticed that Innovations East is there as well as the original Spaceship Earth (not the ugly looking one that has been there for the past year or so). *AND* Spaceship Earth appears to have been put there by Disney themselves. Could this be the start of WDW reappearing in Google Earth? Or is it a temporary fluke? (Crossing fingers)

DisneyJunkie

I love searching through WDW on the satellite map sites like Bing and Google. I think I prefer Google because the Bing maps are way out of date (i.e. New Fantasyland hasn't even begun construction) and I can't see where/how you can look at the most recent photos. Miss the 3D walk-throughs Google Earth used to have.

Did Knee

Bumping this thread to update interested parties and perhaps get some advice. Google Earth's 3D rendering scheme they use most everywhere else seems to work in WDW. It takes forever to load (my connection is slow, 1.2mb DSL way out in the sticks). Once it does, it looks good from a distance, but once you go into ground view, everything still looks distorted. Is this what everyone gets, or can I enhance this by changing some setting in Google Earth? Thanks!

Arthur Wellesley

Bumping this thread to update interested parties and perhaps get some advice. Google Earth's 3D rendering scheme they use most everywhere else seems to work in WDW. It takes forever to load (my connection is slow, 1.2mb DSL way out in the sticks). Once it does, it looks good from a distance, but once you go into ground view, everything still looks distorted. Is this what everyone gets, or can I enhance this by changing some setting in Google Earth? Thanks!
Yeah the 3D looks awful now via ground view. I miss the way it was, with all the realistic detail and imagery.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom