Disney hotels are becomes less themed and more generic. Why?

Ponderer

We noticed the same trend on their cruise ships. When the Magic got a refurb in 2013, it lost some of its Disney for a more conservative, non-Disney style theming. They called it more elegant, but we call it boring! The adults paying for the cruise grew up with Disney and I would think that when they take a Disney cruise they would want Disney!

Tastes change. Styles change. Walt Disney himself transitioned the studio away from the lush classic, realist style to the more cartoonish and impressionistic Mary Blair feel, and that debate still has partisans to this day. But that's the nature of this sort of thing. Today, people don't require giant plastic maracas hanging over everything to sell a theme. A tasteful color palette that understands cultural influences can be just as beautiful an application of theme and just as much Disney. Nostalgia can be fun but shouldn't be the gatekeeper for style. The Disney feeling doesn't need to be a literal thing everywhere; it just needs to add up in small ways to build a feeling and tone.

Last edited:

jkl2000

Here's a question in response to the original poster's question about the theming of the rooms: when did the deluxe Disney resorts start having Club Level rooms? I'm wondering if in part they started making rooms in the deluxe resorts more streamlined and less themed so that people would feel those resorts were a little fancier, and that paying for club level might be justified.

I know the original poster suggested something similar, I was just wondering if the addition of club level might have been a factor.

Ponderer

Here's a question in response to the original poster's question about the theming of the rooms: when did the deluxe Disney resorts start having Club Level rooms? I'm wondering if in part they started making rooms in the deluxe resorts more streamlined and less themed so that people would feel those resorts were a little fancier, and that paying for club level might be justified.

I know the original poster suggested something similar, I was just wondering if the addition of club level might have been a factor.

At least as early as 2002, but may have even been earlier than that. (That's when they started going in at WL, IIRC.)

Nilda

I talked about the room decoration in a thread a while back, but basically, they're changing the room interiors because the old designs were incredibly outdated and, frankly, a bit of an eyesore. I know some people loved the old rooms, and I'm sorry you don't like the new ones as much, but the rooms can't stay stuck in an 80s/90s aesthetic forever.
I also think the use of laminate floors instead of carpets could be because of so many people esp kids with allergies!!

NickMaio

There is a clear series of (perhaps related) trends happening with Disney resort hotels:

(1) New hotels (and expansions of existing hotels) are all made of more-or-less single, large, fairly generic-looking buildings. This is in contrast with the sprawling "resort"-style design epitomized by the Polynesian, Port Orleans Riverside, etc.

(2) Room refurbishments are resulting in the rooms being less themed / more generic-looking.

I am usually not a downer (I am optimistic about many things going on at Disney and the larger theme park industry), but both of these seem to be very unfortunate changes, because (like other changes we've seen) they really do seem to chip away at the uniqueness of the Disney experience.

With regard to (1): Sprawling resorts like the Poly and POR are experiences in themselves, doing exactly what Disney is "for": immersing people in other times and places, making people "feel" like they are somewhere, etc. The "generic" style buildings are also eyesores on the WDW landscape, making it look (and feel) more and more "urban" and less "resort"-like. In the long term, this can have an impact on what it feels like to visit WDW.

With regard to (2): Truly themed rooms remind guests that they're somewhere special and different from the "real world," contributing to the "Disney bubble" (a term I don't like, because I think it trivializes the concept, but that's what has caught on) and theme/aesthetic of the hotel itself.

Disney's reason for (1) seems straightforward: it's probably just cheaper, and makes the money back faster, to build more generic, single-building hotels. So, it benefits Disney in the short run, while ignoring the long-term consequences.

But Disney's decision to do (2) is really perplexing to me. Don't people visit Disney to be immersed in themed environments? Isn't that part of the selling point for staying at a Disney hotel? The only explanations that I can think of for this are that the more genetic rooms are (a) cheaper to furnish/maintain, and/or (b) come across to guests are more "upscale," thus "justifying" higher prices.

I think this is a worthwhile topic for thorough discussion, and I for one would love to hear people's opinions, predictions, and inside knowledge about these trends.
Money......Money......Money..........<Pig from Toy story >

LaughingGravy

While my preference is to have carpeting in a bedroom and putting feet down on something soft, especially in the middle of the night, from a cleanliness point, I have to think this is easier to maintain when you are dealing with so many people in and out, especially with kids/smells/spills.
In Europe, I stayed in many hotels without carpeting in the rooms. It makes more noise, though.
I would still rather the carpeting, but then again you can use comfy sock type things with treads that are clean.
I would like to find out how they really clean the floors with the new hard surfaces, both with and between guests, if there is any difference.

LUVofDIS

While my preference is to have carpeting in a bedroom and putting feet down on something soft, especially in the middle of the night, from a cleanliness point, I have to think this is easier to maintain when you are dealing with so many people in and out, especially with kids/smells/spills.

When we stayed at Pop in September, the floors where fairly dirty, we don't walk in the room with our shoes on, a habit we bring from home. Yet every shower I took would start with black smudges from my feet. I could have had dirty feet from my socks, but the only time I have eber seen this was at Pop and only during this visit.

CaptainAmerica

DSC_7108.JPG
Bed-Side-Disneys-Animal-Kingdom-Lodge-from-yourfirstvisit.net_1.jpg

I honestly can't fathom how anyone could prefer the first one. Visually, it looks like it probably smells like cigarettes and mold in there. The second one is modern and clean while still on-theme. The first one is a $59 per night roadside motel room, the second one is a $349 per night luxury resort room. And all that changed was the bedspread.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I'm kind of split on this. I don't think they are becoming less themed - I just think the theme is becoming a little more subtle - and maybe a little less Disney in a way.

I like the fact that Coronado is a little less of a caricature and becoming more Spanish (Spain-Spanish) in theme. Don't know I'd feel the same if they made those changes to POP - which IMO thrives around that type of a caricature feel. I guess it depends on the resort.

I worked for CCL for about a decade (decades ago) in Revenue Mgmt and IT - and they always went for gaudiness. It was their take on escape-ism. Which I totally get. But at the end of the day - there are only so many stays you can have at Circus Circus before you venture over to TI and then the Venetian. Soon you are looking on Home Away or for the Westin - for that week vacay.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Come on. Sling insults at whatever other resorts you want but AKL is damn near perfect.

No insult intended. From a resort standpoint....it's very good. Good theme, great activities, good public areas, good dining options.......
The rooms themselves....well....they are okay (not talking about views here).

My resorts of choice are PO (both FQ and Riverside), Poly, WL and Beach and Yacht. Same story...Public areas fantastic. Room....not s'much. I get a better room....room quality vs room quality at the Swolphin, Hilton Orlando or BV than I do at a Disney owned resort.

Last edited:

Marc Davis Fan

Original Poster
DSC_7108.JPG
Bed-Side-Disneys-Animal-Kingdom-Lodge-from-yourfirstvisit.net_1.jpg

I honestly can't fathom how anyone could prefer the first one. Visually, it looks like it probably smells like cigarettes and mold in there. The second one is modern and clean while still on-theme. The first one is a $59 per night roadside motel room, the second one is a $349 per night luxury resort room. And all that changed was the bedspread.

I agree that not all of the room refurbishments have been bad. AKL's was definitely good.

But take, for example, the Alligator Bayou section of POR. Here is the old room (ignore the themed pillows and bed runner, of course):

And here is the new room:

IMHO, the old room has consistent theming (and, although the video doesn't do them full justice, the "branch" beds really added to the theme), whereas now the more standard beds, more standard bathroom mirror, green corner trim (rather than "wood" colored), the cartoon image on the divider curtain (rather than the "stitched bags"), etc., just makes it look less like an aesthetically-consistent, immersive themed environment, and more like a basic hotel room that you would find elsewhere. (I do personally like the replacement of the carpets with the "wood" floors, though.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom