Disney Hosting Immigrants' Citizenship Ceremony

DABIGCHEEZ

That is the problem with people like you...... worrying and complaining about things that you aren't invoved in or things that aren't affecting you. I mean if you don't or can't see the symbol of freedom that this represents especially on July 4th then I am certain you are in the minority. If you are going to be at WDW then I got an idea for you...... go to another park that day and enjoy your vacation. I can see this is gonna head for more:brick: :brick: :brick: :brick:

AEfx

DABIGCHEEZ - My apologies for the edit, but I think you'll find my response above your last reply. :) We will just have to disagree about what it represents in our minds since neither of us is going to change how seeing fighter jets makes us feel. I won't declare myself in the majority or minority, but I know an awful lot of people aren't inspired by them.

As I said above, I'd be more inspired by 1,000 doves, symbols of peace, welcoming these people as citizens, than industrial machinery used for destruction. That's my opinion, and I don't expect anyone to share it. However, I do not believe that makes me the scapegoat for what is wrong with anything, just someone who has seen enough of what those things can do that the thought of them bothers me. Just as someone who hunts sees a gun as something different than someone who had a member of their family killed by one; it's something that will never be solved in this venue among us, but I am KEENLY interested in the position the Walt Disney Company has made in this thread...

AEfx

DABIGCHEEZ

New to posting but i figured it out...your editing that is. Exactly we agree to disagree(another beauty of freedoms). I just dont get why people complain about things that just dont affect them.:veryconfu and I am backing away from the wall....:ROFLOL:

AEfx

New to posting but i figured it out...your editing that is. Exactly we agree to disagree(another beauty of freedoms). I just dont get why people complain about things that just dont affect them.:veryconfu and I am backing away from the wall....:ROFLOL:

LOL NP. I edited because my initial reply was pithy and when I began no one else had yet posted (and I hate to make double posts). For the official record, LOL, I didn't delete anything, just expanded past my initial "Why do you care if I care?" and smiley. You asked a valid question, and it deserved an actual response.

I really do understand how people with other experiences can see it differently, and I'm glad you do too. :)

AEfx

Sleepy01

What a very cool event and way for the new citizens to celebrate what I am sure is a dream come true for them.

So does anyone know what time this event is taking place? We will be at Disney over the 4th and I want to make sure we plan our day according to this event. I can imagine the crowds will be huge!!! :p

I read in an article posted on the Miami Herald's website that the ceremony will be for more than 1,000 people. Another site said that it will take place 'in the morning.' That is as close to a specific time as I've seen. I am sure some people will want to plan their days to miss the crowd, and some will want to plan their day so they can catch a glimpse. Something more specific would sure help people in both camps.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Fighter jets are the sight and sound of freedom!
051026-F-7787L-056.jpg

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Original Poster
No.

These are the sight and sound of freedom. Read them sometime. The defense of them is the price to keep it, but not the sight or sound of it.

us-constitution-01a.gif

DelOfInd.gif

jmvd20

No.

These are the sight and sound of freedom. Read them sometime. The defense of them is the price to keep it, but not the sight or sound of it.

How did these documents actually become relevant though? When they were first written there was no real meaning to them, anyone can declare something but it took a lot more than written words to give true meaning to the documents you posted.

If it wasn't for those who defend the Constitution how relevant would those written words be today? I feel they would nothing more than some ink and paper whose meanings were lost in time.

ReDisniey E-Dew

Account Suspended
Interesting to see you in a thread you didn't begin. Regardless, I don't feel I need an "inspirational" war symbol at Disney and it is my right to speak out and disagree with it.

I have posted in several threads I did not begin. Whether you need an inspirational symbol of any type is irrelevant; what is relevant is the fact that many do not share your subjective view that jets are war symbols.

Since you keep clearly speaking for "we" are proud to host at the Magic Kingdom, do I take it you have the official capacity to respond to inquiries on behalf of the Walt Disney Company? You made some pretty profound statements here, and I just want to make sure I can quote you as an official representative of Disney, since you have taken it upon yourself to post as such. I want to be able to quote you in my letter.

AEfx

I do speak on behalf of the Walt Disney Company when I reiterate the official policy that we are proud to include the Air Force pilots in an aerial demonstration for our nationalization ceremony. You may quote me as an official representative of the Walt Disney Company, but since I won't be giving you any personal information whatsoever, it won't mean much when you include it in your letter. You will receive a very similar response, however, since this is our company policy in regards to the aerial demonstration by the United States Air Force.

It is understood that not everyone views every action in various ceremonies as being appropriate / positive / necessary. While kind input is always appreciated, let's not forget either that the main focus for the celebration will not be the jets, but will be the men and women who have worked very hard to earn their American citizenship.

Have a great day...

AEfx

ReDisniey E-Dew said:
I have posted in several threads I did not begin. Whether you need an inspirational symbol of any type is irrelevant; what is relevant is the fact that many do not share your subjective view that jets are war symbols.

And many do share my point of view. What is your point? I stated my opinion, and it's hardly irrelevant on a Disney discussion board.

I do speak on behalf of the Walt Disney Company when I reiterate the official policy that we are proud to include the Air Force pilots in an aerial demonstration for our nationalization ceremony. You may quote me as an official representative of the Walt Disney Company, but since I won't be giving you any personal information whatsoever, it won't mean much when you include it in your letter. You will receive a very similar response, however, since this is our company policy in regards to the aerial demonstration by the United States Air Force.

It is understood that not everyone views every action in various ceremonies as being appropriate / positive / necessary. While kind input is always appreciated, let's not forget either that the main focus for the celebration will not be the jets, but will be the men and women who have worked very hard to earn their American citizenship.

Have a great day...
Yes, I wish the focus was on them as well. Personally I fail to see the connection between becoming a citizen and glorification of war machines. As I said, I would find a symbol of peace much more inspiring. And it's my right to say so, as we all agree.

It's great you've given my opinion so much importance as to require multiple responses on behalf of the Walt Disney Company. I don't appriciate your tone of veiled contempt if you are indeed speaking for the Walt Disney Company, but as you accurately point out you can't be held accountable for anything you say here, even when you claim to represent a company and go so far as to make declarations on it's political views, at all because of convenient anonymity.

Isn't the Internet so great like that...

AEfx

WDWGuide

I am a bit torn about these kind of displays for sporting or patriotic events not centering on the military, for many reasons. For one thing I would like for my tax money to fully support deployed soldiers on active duty and injured veterans who have really been forced to sacrifice too much for questionable reasons recently - not random PR events like the above. There are many other ways to honor not only the military, but American customs and traditions in general that do not send a mixed message.

What is important to me is the knowledge that these jets are there to do what they are built to do when they are needed. But I also think that especially in times where we are trying to break an "addiction" to a substance mostly imported from parts of the world that are anything but compatible with American values of peace, equality and justice, it is hypocritical to consume it unnecessarily it in such a manner.

ReDisniey E-Dew

Account Suspended
And many do share my point of view. What is your point? I stated my opinion, and it's hardly irrelevant on a Disney discussion board.

The point is that a jet is only a war symbol if you assign that value to it. Many people do not assign that value to it, whilst others do. When you state that the jets are war symbols, you do so as if this is a factually concrete statement, and I must disagree with you in that regard.

Yes, I wish the focus was on them as well. Personally I fail to see the connection between becoming a citizen and glorification of war machines. As I said, I would find a symbol of peace much more inspiring. And it's my right to say so, as we all agree.

It is certainly your right to say as such. I have explained what the official policy is at Disney, and the reasons behind it - but certainly you are free to disagree.

It's great you've given my opinion so much importance as to require multiple responses on behalf of the Walt Disney Company. I don't appriciate your tone of veiled contempt if you are indeed speaking for the Walt Disney Company, but as you accurately point out you can't be held accountable for anything you say here, even when you claim to represent a company and go so far as to make declarations on it's political views, at all because of convenient anonymity.

Every person interested in the Walt Disney Company and the parks is a valued individual who merits multiple responses if they have multiple inquiries / suggestions / concerns / etc. I apologize if you have felt that there was a "tone of veiled contempt" in my posts, and please know that I am only trying to give you the official policy in regards to your concerns.

Isn't the Internet so great like that...

AEfx

You are welcome to call WDW to discuss the policy with them. I am certainly not saying that you should take an anonymous person's statements as fact, and so I think it would be good if you verified the policy with another WDW employee.

Have a great day...

AEfx

The point is that a jet is only a war symbol if you assign that value to it.

Can you please then tell me why Jet Fighters were invented, and what purpose they serve other than war and the entertainment...er, excuse me, "inspiration" in shows like this?

I just did a cursory look-up of the term, and this was the first thing I found :

"A fighter aircraft is a military aircraft designed primarily for attacking other aircraft..."

The designers assigned the value to it of a war machine. THAT WAS WHY IT WAS INVENTED. If it was invented for air shows and peace rallies they wouldn't put big guns on them, would they?

So I'm sorry, but you are just wrong, even if you purport to speak for the Walt Disney Company. In fact, you are stating the opposite of the truth - the truth is, some people HAVE ASSIGNED, as you say, patriotic beliefs to these machines. I didn't assign the status of war symbol to Jet Fighters (the designers of the machine did that for me), and arguing otherwise just goes against all logic. Now, as you say, some people have assigned other beliefs around them, but the fact remains they were invented to be used in war, and they primarily are.

Jet Fighters exist to fight in wars. Hence they are a war machine. So yes, that is a fact, sir - war or entertainment, that's the purpose. Anything "patriotic" is assigned by people. It is there RIGHT to do so, but the fact of what a Jet Fighter mechanically is does not change no matter how you wish to spin it.

This cerimony has nothing to do with the military, and if I'm going to be very honest (why stop now) I actually find it sad that these people will be welcomed to this country with violent machines, no matter how "pretty" they may be when they do their dare-devil acts.

I am certainly not saying that you should take an anonymous person's statements as fact...

EXACTLY!

Took the words right out of my mouth. :)

AEfx

AEfx

The point is that a jet is only a war symbol if you assign that value to it.

Can you please then tell me why Jet Fighters were invented, and what purpose they serve other than war and the entertainment...er, excuse me, "inspiration" in shows like this?

I just did a cursory look-up of the term, and this was the first thing I found :

"A fighter aircraft is a military aircraft designed primarily for attacking other aircraft..."

The designers assigned the value to it of a war machine. THAT WAS WHY IT WAS INVENTED. If it was invented for air shows and peace rallies they wouldn't put big guns on them, would they?

So I'm sorry, but you are just wrong, even if you purport to speak for the Walt Disney Company. In fact, you are stating the opposite of the truth - the truth is, some people HAVE ASSIGNED, as you say, patriotic beliefs to these machines. I didn't assign the status of war symbol to Jet Fighters (the designers of the machine did that for me), and arguing otherwise just goes against all logic. Now, as you say, some people have assigned other beliefs around them, but the fact remains they were invented to be used in war, and they primarily are.

Jet Fighters exist to fight in wars. Hence they are a war machine. So yes, that is a fact, sir - war or entertainment, that's the purpose. Anything "patriotic" is assigned by people. It is there RIGHT to do so, but the fact of what a Jet Fighter mechanically is does not change no matter how you wish to spin it.

This ceremony has nothing to do with the military, and if I'm going to be very honest (why stop now) I actually find it sad that these people will be welcomed to this country with violent machines, no matter how "pretty" they may be when they do their dare-devil acts.

I am certainly not saying that you should take an anonymous person's statements as fact...

EXACTLY!

Took the words right out of my mouth. :)

AEfx

shoppingnut

"Why not release 1,000 doves instead?" is really my thought. I'd prefer a peaceful symbol of inspiration. That's all.

Because no matter what is done someone will have a problem with it. I'd prefer they not use birds in this manner, where are they going to keep these 1,000 doves in the FL heat all couped up before being released. They would have to be brought in way before the ceremony and sit there for hours in the heat before being released and that to me is just cruel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom